Is the money ever really lost?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:03 pm

herofan wrote:True, it is a sign of intelligence to be able to read a passage, even if it has many mistakes.

Not ralely, the hmuan barin is ainmazg and as lnog as the frsit and lsat leettr of a wrod are in paclec eevn a psreon wtih agerave igtenllcene can raed and unsatdrend tihs sntenece wtih llttie pborelm no mttear how mnay mtskiaes it coitnans.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:11 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
herofan wrote:True, it is a sign of intelligence to be able to read a passage, even if it has many mistakes.

Not ralely, the hmuan barin is ainmazg and as lnog as the frsit and lsat leettr of a wrod are in paclec eevn a psreon wtih agerave igtenllcene can raed and unsatdrend tihs sntenece wtih llttie pborelm no mttear how mnay mtskiaes it coitnans.

Very true. I take my statement back. Your example helps prove the point even more.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:27 pm

Seemed like an appropriate time to bring this topic up. The market has dropped continually since I started this thread. Honesty is always the best policy. I've been taking a beating on all the feeder calves I've bought. Got several more to sell, and the whippin is going to be even worse on them. I've been turning calf checks back in to calves. I keep thinking this steady slide down hill will stop. Feed is cheap right now, and for once in my life, I have plenty of hay. Crazy market has the heavy calves softer than the lights. Strange times were living in.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ram
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ram » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm at a loss on guessing what's going on with the market. And I'm not going to be trading any cattle till I think I have a feel for what's going on. I keep thinking about putting an add on Craigslist for grass or grain finished beef and see how that plays out.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:56 pm

You all know I trade calves and I can't afford to sell any now im waiting till spring and feeding them some steers will be darn near slaughter sizes and I am headed that route RAM I can make a substantial amount more by selling halves. If I sell one half I can atleast get what I got into the purchased steers and other half im sure I can sell it quickly because someone heres always asking if I have something ready to be killed. I have backed off calves unless its heifers im looking for to add to the herd. I have went into the buying bred cow mode.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

js1234
Rancher
Rancher

Postby js1234 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:06 am

Bigfoot wrote: Crazy market has the heavy calves softer than the lights. Strange times were living in.

Time is not on their side.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:43 am

js1234 wrote:
Bigfoot wrote: Crazy market has the heavy calves softer than the lights. Strange times were living in.

Local bottom fishing approach is to buy 3 wts and take them to grass.
0 x
Stocker Steve

js1234
Rancher
Rancher

Postby js1234 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:57 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
js1234 wrote:

In a similar vein we have been buying Mexicans weighing about 350 lately.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:14 pm

js1234 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
js1234 wrote:Time is not on their side.

Is now a good time to go big? Say for example my trading money is $20,000, half mine and half borrowed. I keep around 40 head of #1 lightweight black heifers til I can make $100 profit after expenses on them, whether that be 9 or 90 days. I could pay off my line of credit and use the rest for 20% down on a $50,000 line of credit and jump to 100 head. Would that be a smart move or should I just keep plugging along at what I'm doing? Also all my other input costs come out of my pocket
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Margonme
GURU
GURU

Postby Margonme » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:36 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I was discussing cattle with a gentleman this evening, and he had an interesting theory. He views feeder calves, like I view the stock market. If someone where to say, put $100,000 in an unmanaged index fund, and the market went down. The only way they would lose money is to get out then. He views the cattle market the same way. He buys calves, and keeps them 90 days. All different sizes, and tries to add frame and value. He wasn't concerned at all about the recent drop. Even though he currently owns several bought before the drop. He said as long as when he sells the calves, he turns around buys more calves, the loss will never really be realized by him. I never really thought about it. He potentially started the year with $100,000 worth of calves. He has $80,000 now. He plans on buying $80,000 as soon as their gone. Just a conversation starter here, but does anyone else view the market this way?

Looking back to Sat October 03, 2015:
Bigfoot. How is your Gentleman friend doing? In hindsight, appears to me his theory did not work. If he keeps holding, his cattle may die of old age before the market turns around.

At least if you hold a stock certificate, it does not die! Lol.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:46 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
js1234 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Local bottom fishing approach is to buy 3 wts and take them to grass.

Is now a good time to go big? Say for example my trading money is $20,000, half mine and half borrowed. I keep around 40 head of #1 lightweight black heifers til I can make $100 profit after expenses on them, whether that be 9 or 90 days. I could pay off my line of credit and use the rest for 20% down on a $50,000 line of credit and jump to 100 head. Would that be a smart move or should I just keep plugging along at what I'm doing? Also all my other input costs come out of my pocket

I'm sure others will disagree, but I don't think it's ever a good time to buy cattle with borrowed money.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Margonme wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I was discussing cattle with a gentleman this evening, and he had an interesting theory. He views feeder calves, like I view the stock market. If someone where to say, put $100,000 in an unmanaged index fund, and the market went down. The only way they would lose money is to get out then. He views the cattle market the same way. He buys calves, and keeps them 90 days. All different sizes, and tries to add frame and value. He wasn't concerned at all about the recent drop. Even though he currently owns several bought before the drop. He said as long as when he sells the calves, he turns around buys more calves, the loss will never really be realized by him. I never really thought about it. He potentially started the year with $100,000 worth of calves. He has $80,000 now. He plans on buying $80,000 as soon as their gone. Just a conversation starter here, but does anyone else view the market this way?

Bigfoot. How is your Gentleman friend doing? In hindsight, appears to me his theory did not work. If he keeps holding, his cattle may die of old age before the market turns around.

He filed bankruptcy.
0 x

Margonme
GURU
GURU

Postby Margonme » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Margonme wrote:

He filed bankruptcy.

I guess buy and hold don't work well with livestock. :lol:
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:40 pm

herofan wrote:An English teacher at my school was talking about similar things lately, and gave the following sentence as actually being grammatically correct, even though a lot of people would frown upon it:

"The additional training he had had had had no effect on his performance."

The only thing that I would have to question on that being grammatically correct is, to say it, you need to put a comma after the first 2 had had's ..you have to take a breath there to say it properly. My grandmother was a teacher WAY back when, and she always told us that "ain"t " isn't in the dictionary...we couldn't wait to show it to her when they did include it. :secret: :secret:
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:01 pm

Margonme wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
Margonme wrote:

He filed bankruptcy.

I guess buy and hold don't work well with livestock. :lol:

He meant when you sell low, turn around and buy low. An ugly divorce was mostly the cause of the bankruptcy.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”