Fall Bull Sales

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
northcreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Fall Bull Sales

Postby northcreek » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:49 am

I am curious to everyones thoughts on the prices of bulls this fall. I was planning on going to a sale in a couple of weeks and hoping to bring a bull home, but my rule of thumb has always been paying about the value of 3 to 4 steers. For me, at this point, that would be $1,500-$2,000. From the averages I have seen from sales I doubt I can buy a bull for that. Can one justify paying much more than in a commercial use application?
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Fall Bull Sales

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:25 pm

5 steers is a better rule of thumb.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:37 pm

5 steers ... or 20-25% of a calf value multiplied by the number of females he'll be breeding.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Hunter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:17 am

I watched a sale last Saturday and the prices were definitely down from their spring sale. There seemed to be some good bulls that sold for under 4K.
0 x

northcreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby northcreek » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Sounds like I need to up more bull budget.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:35 pm

northcreek wrote:Sounds like I need to up more bull budget.

If you're keeping heifers for breeding stock, remember, the bull you pick will be half of the genetics in your future herd.

It's less important if you're selling / feeding everything out.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:47 pm

Good bulls will be available for less than $2,500. around here. I've been bull shopping and it's definitely a buyers market. I'm going to try and hold out from buying till the middle of November. Or maybe the Calhoun bull test sale in December. In our state Cattlemen's magazine it list all the bull sales around the southeast. I enjoy getting out and looking at different bulls and shooting the bull with different folks. Shop around is my advice.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:48 pm

I've been shopping around some. I've found a couple that at first look I liked, but on follow-up visits I've found some things I didnt catch the first time. I've got one I've got narrowed down that I think may work but I'll look around a little more before I do anything. 2500 to 3000. One group was farm raised bulls, the other small group was name brand ai sons. I liked the home growns better. I think they had been picked through pretty good already.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:39 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Good bulls will be available for less than $2,500. around here. I've been bull shopping and it's definitely a buyers market. I'm going to try and hold out from buying till the middle of November. Or maybe the Calhoun bull test sale in December. In our state Cattlemen's magazine it list all the bull sales around the southeast. I enjoy getting out and looking at different bulls and shooting the bull with different folks. Shop around is my advice.

Yes, it's definitely a buyers market. I've heard that a local sale a few weeks ago that top yearling bulls (angus) were going around $1,200. Seller lost his shirt and on these bulls from what I heard. Calhoun will be a good factor in determining what lies ahead. If these go cheap, it could be a long recovery around here.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:51 am

kilroy60 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Good bulls will be available for less than $2,500. around here. I've been bull shopping and it's definitely a buyers market. I'm going to try and hold out from buying till the middle of November. Or maybe the Calhoun bull test sale in December. In our state Cattlemen's magazine it list all the bull sales around the southeast. I enjoy getting out and looking at different bulls and shooting the bull with different folks. Shop around is my advice.

Yes, it's definitely a buyers market. I've heard that a local sale a few weeks ago that top yearling bulls (angus) were going around $1,200. Seller lost his shirt and on these bulls from what I heard. Calhoun will be a good factor in determining what lies ahead. If these go cheap, it could be a long recovery around here.

I'm planning on buying a bull or two at the Calhoun sale myself this year. I didn't even bother going to the Hil-Vue Farms sale this year. They started the price to high this year in this market. I usually buy a bred heifer from them, because they have some really good old line genetics.
0 x

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:51 am

I know of two more bull sales in this area in the next month. I'm sure these farms are worried since they typically do very well with their sales each year.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:57 am

What area Kilroy?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:58 am

kilroy60 wrote:I know of two more bull sales in this area in the next month. I'm sure these farms are worried since they typically do very well with their sales each year.

Are any of these Angus bull sales? If they are please let me know the where and when. Thanks, Vince
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:20 am

I've always bought my bulls from my uncle. I pick them up as usually short yearling. His entire herd I registered black angus for probably 20 years.
I picked up new calf yesterday. I got pick a month back out of 17 Bulls.
I always pay what he ask no questions. And I don't get or expect a discount.
Any way he called yesterday wanting me to come get my bull. He had sold all the others, at private treaty and wanted the pen to wean some heifers.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:37 am

$1750??? Sign me up! We're looking at bulls Thursday, private treaty. I hate buying at auctions; bought 2 a few years ago and while they seemed pretty docile prior to the auction, one was hot the minute they moved him to the loading pen. Figured he'd eventually settle down but he never did, even after a year, and to tried take out my husband. Buh-bye! That was an expensive mistake.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”