Fall Bull Sales

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Fall Bull Sales

Postby callmefence » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:13 am

TCRanch wrote:$1750??? Sign me up! We're looking at bulls Thursday, private treaty. I hate buying at auctions; bought 2 a few years ago and while they seemed pretty docile prior to the auction, one was hot the minute they moved him to the loading pen. Figured he'd eventually settle down but he never did, even after a year, and to tried take out my husband. Buh-bye! That was an expensive mistake.

I'm glad someone thinks its a bargain. I think it's just bout right. Remember these are 9 to 12 month . So when you get em to 18 months going to have a couple grand in em
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:16 am

callmefence wrote:
TCRanch wrote:$1750??? Sign me up! We're looking at bulls Thursday, private treaty. I hate buying at auctions; bought 2 a few years ago and while they seemed pretty docile prior to the auction, one was hot the minute they moved him to the loading pen. Figured he'd eventually settle down but he never did, even after a year, and to tried take out my husband. Buh-bye! That was an expensive mistake.

I'm glad someone thinks its a bargain. I think it's just bout right. Remember these are 9 to 12 month . So when you get em to 18 months going to have a couple grand in em

Good point, I missed the age. But the last 2 we bought were 12 months, naturally when the prices were at peak.

We just sold a bull calf to a neighbor for $967.60, based on current Sale Barn prices @1.18 per lb. Baby boy clocked in at 820 lbs when we weaned him at 7 months (his dam doesn't weigh more than 1300 lbs) but we weren't guaranteeing fertility or EPD's - although he definitely had game :)
0 x

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:52 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
kilroy60 wrote:I know of two more bull sales in this area in the next month. I'm sure these farms are worried since they typically do very well with their sales each year.

Are any of these Angus bull sales? If they are please let me know the where and when. Thanks, Vince

Yes, both are Angus sales. One will be in Nov after Thanksgiving at Bridges Farm in Lexington Ga. The other is Dec 3rd (I think) at Bramblet Farms in Elberton Ga. Both have excellent cattle and are great farms. I'm probably going to attend both just to see how things go.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:21 am

I look at the bull market probably a little different. If I retain heifers or there terminal I want the best I can justify, pounds and good mommas that's it.
I think this year will be tougher on folks raising bulls, everyone wants a deal and I do understand that, but if you don't support these smaller folks with your checkbook things may change. The guy that sold his for $1200 lost his shirt, he sure did. Now maybe he is gone if that continues then all that will be left is the big boys and there average doesn't change alot.
Try and support these sales that have the different consigned that have only 3 bulls and the only outlet for them. If you like that bull raise your hand.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:00 am

bse wrote:I look at the bull market probably a little different. If I retain heifers or there terminal I want the best I can justify, pounds and good mommas that's it.
I think this year will be tougher on folks raising bulls, everyone wants a deal and I do understand that, but if you don't support these smaller folks with your checkbook things may change. The guy that sold his for $1200 lost his shirt, he sure did. Now maybe he is gone if that continues then all that will be left is the big boys and there average doesn't change alot.
Try and support these sales that have the different consigned that have only 3 bulls and the only outlet for them. If you like that bull raise your hand.

The bolded post is the truth.

It applies to most things - if you only ever buy from the biggest operations, the only operations around will be the biggest ones.

If you're looking for something and a smaller operator has something you like buy it for a good price for both of you.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

uplandnut
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby uplandnut » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:22 pm

What about the Knoll Crest Farm bull sale on December 2nd. Just got my catalog in the mail yesterday. Didn't go threw it real well yet but sure looks like a reputable farm. Thought about going to it just to watch, any other members go to there sale or have bought a bull from them?
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”