Light Weight Calf Value ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Light Weight Calf Value ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:20 am

It appears that there is a strong demand for 3 and 4 weight calves in some areas. It calculates out to value of gain in the 80s and 90s. What is driving this optimism? Large cutter bulls would seem to be a better value?
0 x
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: Light Weight Calf Value ?

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:12 am

I agree. I was buying lightweight heifers til a few weeks ago @ $1.30, now a guy will take them to $1.75. He keeps them for nearly a full year, he sold last year's calves on the last little uptick of prices. He figures his cog is lower that way, I couldn't pencil it out past $1.30. Cuttin bulls look like a smart buy @ $1 hoping they bring $1 @ feeder weight, I would hedge them cause there's a good chance they could bring .90 then. Im going long with SS bred cows for the same money.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:36 am

I was buying light, colored, heifers for about $1.15. But, prices have gone up.
Feeder futures drop off in January. Not sure what that means. May be a glut of calves being held till then?
0 x
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:04 am

Perhaps the typical post holiday dead of winter slump? Lightweights should go out as feeders in May, with board price @ $1.15 today. Not a bad margin with cheap feed. I certainly can't raise a lightweight to 600 lbs for the price of a cuttin bull though.
0 x

js1234
Rancher
Rancher

Postby js1234 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:28 pm

Out here its because they fit the two season grass programs. If a Fall/Winter stocker operator, or two season stocker operator ranches' country isn't filled up yet, it's time to do so.
I'm working to finishing filling up our country, I got 5 truck loads of lighter, two season type calves bought today.
I bought 3 loads of cattle today out of the country:
1 load (90 head) of fancy Red Angus steers, weaned, 525lbs., Nov. 15th. delivery, Vac. 45. $130/cwt. FOB sellers corrals.
1 load (95 head) of better than average but not quite fancy, Angus/Angus X steers, bawlers, 500lbs., Nov. 10th. delivery, Vac 34. $131/cwt. FOB sellers corrals.
1 load (112 head) of better than average but not quite fancy, Angus/Angus X heifers, bawlers, 425lbs., Nov. 10th. delivery, Vac 34. $127/cwt. FOB sellers corrals.
The first load are the light end of the steers of a reputation Northern Nevada high desert ranch. We have bought these steers 15 of the last 20 years. Typically own them all the way through due to their superior feed yard performance.
The second two loads are both off the same ranch, basically their calf crop less cuts and replacements, we haven't bought these calves before.
All these calves were bought off Northern Nevada ranches.
I also bought a 2 load deal on the video today:
1 load (202 head) of fancy, Char/Angus X heifers, weaned, 475lbs., Nov. 9th. delivery, Vac. 45. $126.50/cwt. FOB sellers corrals.
These heifers are the middle cut weight wise of the heifer crop off a reputation Eastern Oregon high desert ranch. We have bought these cattle several times.
They will come to our California ranches for the season and then ship to one of our Wyoming ranches in early May. Depending on market conditions, we will either sell them off those Wyoming ranches for October 2017 delivery or put them on feed and make them Feb. 2018 Fats.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:42 pm

Light calves are cheaper here than farther south, but our grazing is about done for the year. Most folks here sell calves when the grass runs out or else back ground them on corn silage.

Latest approach by some is too retain May/June born calves on forage, take them back to grass the next spring, and then sell them as heavy feeders about August. Idea is you can increase $/acre and increase stocking flexibility vs. running 100% cow/calf pairs. What do you think about this?
0 x
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Average today was 338 lbs @ $1.27 on every #1-1.5 steer calf today between 285-400 lbs. Looks pretty feasible. How does color or Brahman influence affect basis on hedged feeder cattle?
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Last Wed sales, char X feeders didn't do well at the sales, shorthorn influenced feeders suffered even worse than in previous years.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Just ask yourself why would a buyer want to buy a sorry calf at these low prices? Most order buyes I've talked to get paid on the weight that they buy.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:52 pm

I agree, I don't. But what kind of slide do colored cattle go off of when hedging feeder cattle? The price gap is a lot slimmer when the weight goes up (as in board price)
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:04 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:I agree, I don't. But what kind of slide do colored cattle go off of when hedging feeder cattle? The price gap is a lot slimmer when the weight goes up

When the price was $2.00 for good steers and $1.85 for bulls, and colored up calves were $.15 to $.20 cents less everyone was happy. Now that good steers are $1.05 and bulls are $.80 and colored up stuff with horns are in the $.60's those people who don't have quality are really complaining. There was several folks on here doing good with longhorn cross calves. Now their not so happy and a bunch of folks told them what was coming.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:54 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:I agree, I don't. But what kind of slide do colored cattle go off of when hedging feeder cattle? The price gap is a lot slimmer when the weight goes up

When the price was $2.00 for good steers and $1.85 for bulls, and colored up calves were $.15 to $.20 cents less everyone was happy. Now that good steers are $1.05 and bulls are $.80 and colored up stuff with horns are in the $.60's those people who don't have quality are really complaining. There was several folks on here doing good with longhorn cross calves. Now their not so happy and a bunch of folks told them what was coming.

I talked to a member with longhorn crosses. Their Char sired calves are selling at same price as a black feeder at their local sale barn and I guess they do alright at this moment. That said, at our local sale barns it's clearly that black hided calves rule the sales last Wed, regardless of quality of the calf. It shows you that the buyers can change their preferences and they have no interest in anything that is not black and polled that day. Reds, CharX, RWF and other colors are docked for 10-15 cents less than blacks that day. Straight longhorn prices didn't change that much during high prices, so I don't know why we are talking about longhorns.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:04 am

Muddy wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

I talked to a member with longhorn crosses. Their Char sired calves are selling at same price as a black feeder at their local sale barn and I guess they do alright at this moment. That said, at our local sale barns it's clearly that black hided calves rule the sales last Wed, regardless of quality of the calf. It shows you that the buyers can change their preferences and they have no interest in anything that is not black and polled that day. Reds, CharX, RWF and other colors are docked for 10-15 cents less than blacks that day. Straight longhorn prices didn't change that much during high prices, so I don't know why we are talking about longhorns.

Talks cheap :bs: Never seen it happen in the southeast and it won't. Must be some real dumb azz cattle buyers and feedlots in this country somewhere.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:41 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Muddy wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Talks cheap :bs: Never seen it happen in the southeast and it won't. Must be some real dumb azz cattle buyers and feedlots in this country somewhere.
Y'all both have a good point. But I'm talking about futures/board pricing on a pot load of 850 lb feeders that are within 50 lbs of each other. Going off the board price, which I know they won't bring that. What is the price slide for #2 and #3 feeders (not longhorn or dairy)?
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:30 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Muddy wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

:roll: you are always looking down at longhorns as you always do. How's your chromed up calves doing?
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”