Light Weight Calf Value ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Light Weight Calf Value ?

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:58 am

Muddy wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Muddy wrote:I talked to a member with longhorn crosses. Their Char sired calves are selling at same price as a black feeder at their local sale barn and I guess they do alright at this moment. That said, at our local sale barns it's clearly that black hided calves rule the sales last Wed, regardless of quality of the calf. It shows you that the buyers can change their preferences and they have no interest in anything that is not black and polled that day. Reds, CharX, RWF and other colors are docked for 10-15 cents less than blacks that day. Straight longhorn prices didn't change that much during high prices, so I don't know why we are talking about longhorns.

Talks cheap :bs: Never seen it happen in the southeast and it won't. Must be some real dumb azz cattle buyers and feedlots in this country somewhere.

:roll: you are always looking down at longhorns as you always do. How's your chromed up calves doing?

Good, but their chrome came from a Simmental bull that weighed 2215 lbs at 4 years old in his working clothes. And not some hatched azz, scrawny, short backed Longhorn cow. But with that being said even when the prices were great his chromed up calves brought $.30 less a pound. The calves were called spotted at the sale barn on my weight ticket. That's why we're eating and selling the spotted calves as farm raised beef, sold one yesterday to a couple from Atlanta. I really don't want to deal with the public, but I'm to cheap to give my cattle away.
It still puzzles me how you can get a spotted calf from a Hereford bull. And the same cows bred to an Angus or Simmental bull had black calves. I'm going back with Angus bulls this year so no more spotted calves here...hopefully.
Muddy you have a good grasp on the cattle business, just don't believe everything you hear.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:29 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Muddy wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Talks cheap :bs: Never seen it happen in the southeast and it won't. Must be some real dumb azz cattle buyers and feedlots in this country somewhere.

:roll: you are always looking down at longhorns as you always do. How's your chromed up calves doing?

Good, but their chrome came from a Simmental bull that weighed 2215 lbs at 4 years old in his working clothes. And not some hatched azz, scrawny, short backed Longhorn cow. But with that being said even when the prices were great his chromed up calves brought $.30 less a pound. The calves were called spotted at the sale barn on my weight ticket. That's why we're eating and selling the spotted calves as farm raised beef, sold one yesterday to a couple from Atlanta. I really don't want to deal with the public, but I'm to cheap to give my cattle away.
It still puzzles me how you can get a spotted calf from a Hereford bull. And the same cows bred to an Angus or Simmental bull had black calves. I'm going back with Angus bulls this year so no more spotted calves here...hopefully.
Muddy you have a good grasp on the cattle business, just don't believe everything you hear.
Perhaps you should not making any assumptions? It's obviously that chromed up calves (Longhorn or not) are getting killed at the sale barn and I never seen a spotted calf topping the sales ever.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:17 pm

I enjoy the cattle industry and support it. With that be said I usually attend at least one seminar a month concerning the cattle industry, and countless sales every year. So I don't assume much, if I have a question I'll ask, otherwise I know what I'm talking about or I keep my mouth shut and listen. Learning to listen is very important, but learning who to listen to is more important. IMO
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

js1234
Rancher
Rancher

Postby js1234 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:10 pm

Ranchman:
I think you'll find that a steer several cuts below a good one, on the plainer end will get quite a discount right now. If they aren't poor framed of carrying unattractive condition, I'd look at feeding them. If they have enough quality of kind to them that they can convert at a reasonable COG, they are the type that is screaming to be fed right now. The same price that you will see offered for them will almost certainly have a break-even that allows them to be hedged out in the fats right now for a profit.
This of course is assuming that while they are lesser cattle, they aren't junk that won't feed right.
0 x

js1234
Rancher
Rancher

Postby js1234 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:32 pm

As far as longhorns go, I buy ALOT of longhorn cows on order for a very large ranching and feeding family that also owns an interest in a large killplant. They breed these cows to Char bulls (which our order buying company also buys for them) and retain these calves all the way through and sell the beef into their non grade-related label that the killplant markets some of their beef through. While they run lots of good cows on their cow ranches throughout the West and Midwest, owning several thousand longhorn cows on the lower value ground fits their program very well. I have been impressed with both how the cross calves look as fats and how the closeouts look once they are hanging on a rail.
All of that said, as I mentioned in another thread last week, front end cattle are way too cheap right now to buy an inferior animal, unless they are nasty cheap.
While the fall in prices doesn't feel as shocking for longhorns as the dollars per head wasn't as high as good cattle, it's pretty severe. When things were really good, Longhorn cows would cost $1,100/head or so to send to my guys. Those same cows are certainly under $650 now.
My family has always had about 100 longhorn mother cows of our own, part for nostalgia, now partly to preserve some old genetics that are nearly lost as the longhorn registry has basically thrown purity out the window, but mostly to keep us in horned cattle to rope. The recreation use has always basically been the only market outlet for those straight longhorn calves other than the very best of the registered stock, if one is lucky. Fortunately, the recreation cattle market, while correlated on its most basic level to the real cattle market, has much less volatility and with a few peaks and valleys, is basically always working it's way up right along with the inflation of the cost of any other unnecessary good or service. I've never really found it to be a very good business but it has basically had the longhorns pay their own way and we rope a lot and it allows us to always have 30-40 head of roping cattle on hand for our own purposes.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:47 pm

A modest run of cattle today. Must be a lot still on pasture. More consistent demand than last week, with prices increasing during the sale. Went home early with a couple $500 bulls to turn around.
Next week is rifle deer hunting here. Could get crazy after that.
0 x
Stocker Steve

js1234
Rancher
Rancher

Postby js1234 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:23 am

6,500 head at Riverton, WY barn tomorrow.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:43 am

Stocker Steve wrote:<snip>

?
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:07 am

WalnutCrest wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:<snip>

?

Deer firearm season in Minnesota, duh. It's a traditional thing for us Minnesotans.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:21 am

And ...

There will be no buyers ... and so prices will fall?

...or...

There will be no sellers ... and prices will rise?

What does he mean by "could get crazy after that"?
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:42 am

I'd guess he means there will be more people buying calves once harvest and deer season get over with
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:18 am

Ojp6 wrote:I'd guess he means there will be more people buying calves once harvest and deer season get over with

BINGO!!!!
0 x

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:13 am

js1234 wrote:6,500 head at Riverton, WY barn tomorrow.

You ever get any out of Fort Pierre, SD? They are expecting 10,000 this week, had 9,100 last week. They get some pretty huge runs. My dad used to buy feeding cows for Cargill there and I remember them having over 2,500 kill cows a couple times.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

js1234
Rancher
Rancher

Postby js1234 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:40 pm

Ojp6 wrote:
js1234 wrote:6,500 head at Riverton, WY barn tomorrow.

You ever get any out of Fort Pierre, SD? They are expecting 10,000 this week, had 9,100 last week. They get some pretty huge runs. My dad used to buy feeding cows for Cargill there and I remember them having over 2,500 kill cows a couple times.

I'll be in that country in a few days but just to pheasant hunt this time.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Here is the land of the artic vortex -- most yearlings sell in August before the prices start dropping. Then the sucking calf sale season starts after Labor day, with a heavy run during October, a slow week in early November during the main deer hunting season, and then another heavy run before the holidays start.

The seasonal price low in a normal year (can't remember one recently) is in November. So bottom fishing Bub followers who are in the cattle arbitrage/not the beef/ business :cowboy: sell in October, buy in November, and re sell in early January...
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Cattle Sales”