Is now a good time to buy?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Is now a good time to buy?

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:50 am

ClinchValley wrote:I expect things to get even cheaper in this area. Due to drought and poor hay harvests I expect people to be forced to cut numbers.

As angus9259 said, it's going to be a lot of junk. I doubt my ability to sort through the junk so I have been buying off the farm. Getting good(my opinion) youngish breds for less than $1000. Got a nice 3 n 1 Simmi for $900 and 16 rolls of hay.

I have hit the pause button myself, in hopes they get even cheaper. Hopefully i didn't pull the trigger too soon on what i have brought home…

Skyhightree1 - How did hay do in VA this year?

Clinch it was ok good years get 3 cuttings this year got 2 cuttings but the second cutting was not anything to brag about just enough to say you got a 2nd cutting. We are still dry have been since august really. I am figuring here Nov-Jan will be our cheapest months here.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:15 pm

Cross-7 wrote:Sale today thin weigh cows @.40
Fleshy weigh cows @ .55
SS 2nd and 3rd trimester around 800

Sold an old cow for U$S 0.45/lb last week. Got a bunch of cows I will part with for $ 800 :banana:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:26 pm

Could have easily filled a pot load with older solid mouth cows spring calving cows and averaged less then $800 last week.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:28 pm

Yep I am not buying until the smoke clears. I have some bull calves to feed and ween over the winter. I will sell them in spring and will look at heifers then.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:57 am

BK9954 wrote:Yep I am not buying until the smoke clears. I have some bull calves to feed and ween over the winter. I will sell them in spring and will look at heifers then.

Nows a great time to buy especially folks that don't want to winter a lot of cattle cause of a hay shortage etc... I wouldn't wait
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:13 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
BK9954 wrote:Yep I am not buying until the smoke clears. I have some bull calves to feed and ween over the winter. I will sell them in spring and will look at heifers then.

Nows a great time to buy especially folks that don't want to winter a lot of cattle cause of a hay shortage etc... I wouldn't wait

If you look at the thread about why prices are down, thats why I am waiting. May not pay off next year.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:02 am

BK9954 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

If you look at the thread about why prices are down, thats why I am waiting. May not pay off next year.

No time like the present... Tomorrow isn't promised
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:10 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
BK9954 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

No time like the present... Tomorrow isn't promised

Well said sky, Im buying as many 7-8 weight black heifers as I can get my hands on!
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:20 am

After the election all bets are off. Tomorrow isn't promised. Some of my cows are still open. Making me question my herd sire. I might need to save my pennies for another bull.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:21 am

I had him tested but thinking he might be gay.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”