Why Prices Are Down

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Why Prices Are Down

Postby Nesikep » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:05 am

I posted that in Cow talk on FB.. really didn't get much of a reply.. A few people serious about beef said something, but I think they saw it was more than a paragraph long and didn't bother reading it.

I found it very good!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:21 am

js1234 wrote:An awful lots of cattle people who have an awful lot of pull would have goals much more aligned with the packer in terms of COOL due to their involvement in the Mexican and Canadian cattle trade.

Take note of this comment folks. This man knows what he's talking about :tiphat: Hard to win when your opponent is special interest and has big money, but not impossible.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:38 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
js1234 wrote:An awful lots of cattle people who have an awful lot of pull would have goals much more aligned with the packer in terms of COOL due to their involvement in the Mexican and Canadian cattle trade.

Take note of this comment folks. This man knows what he's talking about :tiphat: Hard to win when your opponent is special interest and has big money, but not impossible.

Please elaborate
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:50 am

I don't doubt, that ever single statement in that letter is true. I wish we had some way to site the author.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:54 am

Cross-7 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

Please elaborate

Meaning that the heavy hitters in the US cattle market are not in favor of COOL (the packers aren't either) because a good many of them are importing or raising or buying beef in/from foreign countries and killing them in America. Therefore they are buying cheaper beef from out of the country and labeling it as US Beef. They are happy with the current laws bc they are lining their pockets while we take what's left over.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Margonme
GURU
GURU

Postby Margonme » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:58 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

Please elaborate

Meaning that the heavy hitters in the US cattle market are not in favor of COOL (the packers aren't either) because a good many of them are importing or raising or buying beef in/from foreign countries and killing them in America. Therefore they are buying cheaper beef from out of the country and labeling it as US Beef. They are happy with the current laws bc they are lining their pockets while we take what's left over.

Exactly
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:35 am

Everything in this country is corrupt isn't it? No one can handle a little bit of power without turning to the dark side.

What can we do aside from getting the word out?
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:43 am

Bigfoot wrote:I don't doubt, that ever single statement in that letter is true. I wish we had some way to site the author.

This was shared to me on a cattle group I am a member on in facebook. We discuss cattle issues, ideas, sell equipment, hay, cattle etc just like this site. Tracked this article down to the login page of R Calf USA Membership page. It is very informative but if you look at the site they are also asking for support. I will say my cattlemens assoc. has done squat but talk this year.
Last edited by BK9954 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:43 am

0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Margonme
GURU
GURU

Postby Margonme » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:44 am

ClinchValley wrote:Everything in this country is corrupt isn't it? No one can handle a little bit of power without turning to the dark side.

What can we do aside from getting the word out?

Money is the root to all evil. Well....In this case it is.

What can we do? IDK. Producers have no leverage.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:49 am

Crony capitalism. Forced into the economic system by rules and regulations in order for them to squeeze the money out of us unfairly and out of the free market.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:59 am

Hopefully the prices dont get fixed like they are in Mexico i. My wifes nephew raises cattle down there. No matter what you get the same price pound for pound, old, young, fat, skinny. People run brahma and catttle that are the lowest maintenance and that you just leave in the pasture and hardly look at. When I was talking to him this July beef in his area was already under a dollar a pound. No reason to run registered anything since you get no carcass premium. Right now our prices are comparable to theirs.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:27 am

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN11T2OO
An article on brazilian beef imports
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:30 am

A copy of the article:

Brazilian fresh beef exports to the United States will be competitive even if subject to a 26.4 percent duty when shipped outside of a tax-free quota, Miguel Gularte, the head of JBS Mercosur, said on Friday.

The official, who is in charge of meatpacker JBS SA's division for the trade bloc formed by Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela, believes the United States will be among the five key markets for Brazilian fresh beef as soon as 2017.

Brazil and the United States last month concluded a deal to allow for bilateral trade of fresh beef. As part of the deal, Brazil was included in a duty-free quota of 64,800 tonnes per year with other countries.

"When the quota is over, deals will still be made on a regular basis," said Gularte, adding that sellers and buyers might adjust prices given the 26.4 percent tax to be charged.
ADVERTISEMENT

Brazilian meatpacker Marfrig Global Foods SA, a JBS rival, announced on Sunday that it had shipped its first cargo of fresh beef to the United States, saying it was the first trade of that type ever done.

One day later, JBS SA said a container had left one of its plants heading to the American market.

Gularte said he expects Brazil to ship some 20,000 tonnes of beef to the United States this year.

"Next year, when more plants would be cleared to export, the quota should be filled," he said.

The JBS official believes Brazilian producers will have a larger market selling beef for companies making hamburgers in the United States, since there is no shortage of that type of meat in Brazil.

He said JBS' presence in the U.S. market should favor a larger trade flow between the two countries.

"We have a consolidated operation in the U.S., a varied and important client base. Clearly it will be easier for us to sell Brazilian fresh beef in that market," Gularte said.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:54 am

This is good news for those who can figure out how to make it so.

Near as I can tell, the only way to really make a profit on this is to market the heck out of off-the-farm beef. At least until that's made illegal...
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Return to “Cattle Sales”