Cattle Cycle Comments ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Re: Cattle Cycle Comments ?

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:00 am

Ebenezer wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:With everyone in the world having to eat, you would think that we as producers would be in the box seat.

Ken
The delivery is always the issue we face daily but the bigger problem looming behind it is is regulations. Folks ask to come to the farm and dress a lamb and take the carcass home. They would dress it and they would eat it. It is illegal because it is the operation of an unlicensed abattoir. $500 fine per occurrence. Who are the persons this law is protecting? Certainly not the folks who cannot buy a lamb because of this or have to haul and pay $25 to $70 to have done what they can do for themselves. Odd thing: they can come here and shoot a deer, a wild hog, a squirrel, clean it and eat it without fault.
The laws are there to protect and control the supply of food and not to protect the consumer. Abattoirs pay fees, buy licences, require inspectors, can be known, tracked, followed, harassed and thus private rights are taken to allow state control of food sourcing and delivery. Same for inspection plants needing federal meat inspectors to transport and sell meat across state lines. Totally unnecessary if state inspectors are able to do a good job. What ever happened to states rights? Mere control, erosion of personal rights, nothing to do with food safety except if the state or feds sue a company over a bad product the government entity gets the money taken as penalty. If the laws were not there and neighbor Joe Blow sold me sausage that made me sick I can sue him and I get the money. It's all about the power of government and a corporate body trumping the private citizen.
The inability or unlevel playing field of meat sales puts big business in the driver's seat. No doubt they or some like them saw that laws favored companies over individual rights.

http://www.polyfacefarms.com/food-sales/

Want to work all day on your farm then try some of the techniques shown on this website. For some reason I think that they process the chickens in an open air processing shed.
0 x

Margonme
GURU
GURU

Postby Margonme » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:04 am

hurleyjd wrote:
Margonme wrote:Steers bringing 1.10 per pound. But a pound ribeye cost 15 dollars. As Ebenezer said, the serfs are being taken to the woodshed and the meatpacker raping the producer.

Rib eye at Sam's was $6.48 last week.

This was Kroger. Certified Angus. Their premium cuts.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:49 am

hurleyjd; yes they were processing the poultry in an open sided shed when I was there several years ago. The joke was that the regulations REQUIRED a screen door on the processing facility...in the written book of rules that the inspector had....so they put a screen door where the door frame was. NO JOKE. There were some other things that were absolutely stupid but had to be complied with. And they did. I had some birds done there on a day when several people got together to do their own and use the facilities. We helped each other, and we gave them a "contribution" or something I think because they cannot "rent it out". They do some stuff that may be a little off the wall, but they get high prices for their stuff and satisfy a niche market of people who might have more money than most to spend. They are pretty good stewards of their land and they do work hard. Like everyone of us, they are not perfect but they are doing things to try to make a living and have a life the way they want it. Joel is a good speaker and has made money going around speaking at all kinds of grass-based conferences. To each his own. I have learned from them, as I try to learn something from any and everyone I have ever listened to. Got my own ideas, but sometimes someone will show you some little thing that will make your idea work better.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:07 am

Margonme wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:
Margonme wrote:Steers bringing 1.10 per pound. But a pound ribeye cost 15 dollars. As Ebenezer said, the serfs are being taken to the woodshed and the meatpacker raping the producer.

Rib eye at Sam's was $6.48 last week.

This was Kroger. Certified Angus. Their premium cuts.

This was certified black Angus.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:42 pm

Found an "old article" published in early September. This expert forecasted $800 calves this fall, and $700 calves in fall of 2017. We are ahead of schedule! :cowboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:11 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:With everyone in the world having to eat, you would think that we as producers would be in the box seat.

Ken

Ag economics are interesting. If prices go down - - producers try to make it up in volume. The US is projected to produce 2 to 4% more white meat and 5% more red meat next year. We need more steak houses!

Always been that way Steve....same with dairies....milk glut pulls milk prices down so everybody adds cows. :shock: :shock:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:22 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

Ken

Ag economics are interesting. If prices go down - - producers try to make it up in volume. The US is projected to produce 2 to 4% more white meat and 5% more red meat next year. We need more steak houses!

Always been that way Steve....same with dairies....milk glut pulls milk prices down so everybody adds cows. :shock: :shock:

It's like it's a contest to see who's checkbook and who's bankers will outlast the others.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:00 pm

hurleyjd wrote:http://www.polyfacefarms.com/food-sales/

Want to work all day on your farm then try some of the techniques shown on this website. For some reason I think that they process the chickens in an open air processing shed.

That guy is on Food Inc (the movie). I show it in my Ag History class, if I have time, at the end of the semester. I preface it by telling my students that the movie is one sided, but there is a lot of truth in what is said. He has found a niche market, and I see more and more people raising animals in that type of environment. The type of student I get in my classes are typically non traditional (ag) general ed students. My class counts as a sociology credit, so students take it wanting to fulfill that general ed requirement and learn a little about ag (but do not come from an ag background at all). These are the future generations, our future customers, so if I can educate them on the difference between farmers markets and Walmart produce, I feel like I have accomplished something!

The ASA (American Simmental Association) referenced this article in their newsletter this week. A good read about the fluctuations of the market. http://northernag.net/AGNews/AgNewsStories/TabId/657/ArtMID/2927/ArticleID/7336/The-Real-Culprit-Behind-the-Rapid-Decline-in-Feeder-Cattle-Prices.aspx
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:04 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:

That guy is on Food Inc (the movie). I show it in my Ag History class, if I have time, at the end of the semester. I preface it by telling my students that the movie is one sided, but there is a lot of truth in what is said. He has found a niche market, and I see more and more people raising animals in that type of environment. The type of student I get in my classes are typically non traditional (ag) general ed students. My class counts as a sociology credit, so students take it wanting to fulfill that general ed requirement and learn a little about ag (but do not come from an ag background at all). These are the future generations, our future customers, so if I can educate them on the difference between farmers markets and Walmart produce, I feel like I have accomplished something!

The ASA (American Simmental Association) referenced this article in their newsletter this week. A good read about the fluctuations of the market. http://northernag.net/AGNews/AgNewsStories/TabId/657/ArtMID/2927/ArticleID/7336/The-Real-Culprit-Behind-the-Rapid-Decline-in-Feeder-Cattle-Prices.aspx
At least he practices what he preachs unlike some ag prophets.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:

Check this out they have some interesting field days.
http://kerrcenter.com/
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”