keep or sell

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
runner
Beginner
Beginner

keep or sell

Postby runner » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:42 pm

Ive got some calves 400 lb on cows . Should i sell or hold over. Sell later when bigger.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: keep or sell

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:50 pm

What gender and color are they?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:51 pm

How old are they? Are the cows in good shape, or are the calves pulling them down?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

runner
Beginner
Beginner

Postby runner » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:06 pm

Out of Hereford bull on black cows. Cows in good shape. There heifers and steers 5 months or so. I still have grass and plenty of hay.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:08 pm

runner wrote:Out of Hereford bull on black cows. Cows in good shape. There heifers and steers 5 months or so. I still have grass and plenty of hay.

I'm holding ours.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:32 pm

runner wrote:Out of Hereford bull on black cows. Cows in good shape. There heifers and steers 5 months or so. I still have grass and plenty of hay.

I'd hold them another 90 days.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:36 pm

The heifers should fetch $600 in private treaty sales today, steers should bring the same at auction today provided they are black and steered. You may make an extra couple hundred per head in spring or may not depending on market trends.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:42 pm

I realize you are asking our crystal balls what the market is going to do.... so let me remind you of a tax management tool that doesn't involve spending. It is getting close to the end of the year. Which would do you more good? Income this year to pay bills or deferring said income into next year possibly reducing taxable income for this year.....managing self employment taxes is worth at least 15.3% of your profit.

Risks of deferring are the market continues down on top of added carring expenses, labor and the ever present risk of illness and death. Upside tax management is possibly a lower tax bracket for 2016 and if you are already profitable this year, a lower tax bill for self employment this year. Upside of holding over might be the market strengthens and you get paid for your extra efforts and risk you took on and have 12 months to manage your tax bill.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:07 pm

1982vett wrote:I realize you are asking our crystal balls what the market is going to do.... so let me remind you of a tax management tool that doesn't involve spending. It is getting close to the end of the year. Which would do you more good? Income this year to pay bills or deferring said income into next year possibly reducing taxable income for this year.....managing self employment taxes is worth at least 15.3% of your profit.

Risks of deferring are the market continues down on top of added carring expenses, labor and the ever present risk of illness and death. Upside tax management is possibly a lower tax bracket for 2016 and if you are already profitable this year, a lower tax bill for self employment this year. Upside of holding over might be the market strengthens and you get paid for your extra efforts and risk you took on and have 12 months to manage your tax bill.

Good point on the taxes. It would also be hard to hedge them if they're not a full load to lock in prices.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”