Traits that get docked

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Traits that get docked

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:07 am

Buy the discount, and sell the premium.
Smokie or red bulls are money makers.
0 x
Stocker Steve

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:54 am

Chocolate Cow wrote:The market is a fickle thing. Two weeks ago, I saw a buyer sort a black baldie off a group of blacks. It was sold as a single, $15 back. Same weight. No idea why. It seems wrong that a barn allows a group to be picked apart in the ring.

That buyer may have an order that says black only. If you leave the bwf calf on the lot, then he cannot bid. Buyers bid on what they are told to buy and some of their customers are pretty finicky. I have often questioned why I could could not put a good red calf on an order especially when you know when the hide comes off - all the meat is red. The answer I got from the head buyer was one we have all heard - "the customer is always right".

BTW, I prefer red and yellow cattle for being environmentally adapted to Texas heat and sunshine.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Here anything with an ear will get docked a bunch. Straight Braham cattle get dock a good 50%, maybe more. Straight bred Herefords, simi, limo, and certainly pinz will be off a bunch, probably 30%. I have been at sales where good Holsteins beat pinz and red limos. I don't care how good he is a line back calf will take a big hit. Baldies and red angus will sell with the blacks. The smokies and yellow calves will only be off a touch.
Years ago I went to all black bulls. Not because I am a big fan of black calves but because green is my favorite color.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:01 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Buy the discount, and sell the premium.
Smokie or red bulls are money makers.

That is the reason I love a red cow change the bull change the calf crop.
I have options to produce a calf that will grade and mash the scales as Dave stated I like folding money.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

RiverHills
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby RiverHills » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:34 pm

[quote="Dave"]Here anything with an ear will get docked a bunch. Straight Braham cattle get dock a good 50%, maybe more. Straight bred Herefords, simi, limo, and certainly pinz will be off a bunch, probably 30%. I have been at sales where good Holsteins beat pinz and red limos. I don't care how good he is a line back calf will take a big hit. Baldies and red angus will sell with the blacks. The smokies and yellow calves will only be off a touch.
Years ago I went to all black bulls. Not because I am a big fan of black calves but because green is my favorite color.[/quote]

Right or wrong that's what pays the bills!!!
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:00 pm

Dave wrote:Not because I am a big fan of black calves but because green is my favorite color.

Had a green calf this summer but he was not marketable ;-)
0 x
Stocker Steve

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:49 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Dave wrote:Not because I am a big fan of black calves but because green is my favorite color.

Had a green calf this summer but he was not marketable ;-)

Maybe he'll be tasty ...
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:20 pm

black, black baldies, black with ear and go good here. Smokies and young charlolais do okay. Hereford do so so but REALLY depends on carcass cause you see a lot of crap. Longhorns get salughters on price. Red angus do not do well. Tigerstripe and brahman dont do great cause you gotta figure if they are at the auction they are a problem. Last on I saw almost jumped and made it out of the holding pen.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

cattlecreek
Beginner
Beginner

Postby cattlecreek » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:00 pm

I sold all my black cows and bought all Herefords with a horned Hereford bull. Why... I think they look good in my pasture and they are so laid back.
It also gives people a reason to laugh when they drive by my farm. Money isn't everything.
0 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:11 am

Wow, Cadiz isn't that far from here and I need a good laugh. I'm gonna head that way! Just kidding, nothing wrong with Herefords to me.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:56 am

cattlecreek wrote:I sold all my black cows and bought all Herefords with a horned Hereford bull. Why... I think they look good in my pasture and they are so laid back.
It also gives people a reason to laugh when they drive by my farm. Money isn't everything.

Tell that to someone that doesn't have any money.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Cattle Sales”