Labeled but who knows

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Labeled but who knows

Postby BK9954 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:37 am

We are doing a lrime rib special for Christmas. $6 a pound for ribeyes labeled angus origin of the USA. Packed by
Image JBS who is owned by the Brazilians so with the new regs who really knows.

0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Labeled but who knows

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:30 pm

Looks legit to me, maybe cut a little chunk and see if you can get it HD 50K tested by Zoetis. That would be neat.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:27 pm

It's not hard at all to mislabel meat or fish sitting in the retail counter in the store. If you buy that box labeled product of the USA, that's what I think you'll get. Buy a couple of steaks or a roast off the shelf and you might not be getting what it says on that box. The retailer would be the one switching labels on individual packages, not the packer/shipper mislabeling entire boxes. At $6.00/lb I'd be highly suspicious. Tell the retailer you want the whole box, see if they start backing up.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:01 pm

This is wholesale through Ben E Kieth foods. My company buys bulk. They are basically the middle man for restaurant companies in Texas I'm not sure if they service National brands. But the prime ribs have been coming in frozen.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:37 pm

With the repeal of the COOL act I heard the animal just has to be slaughtered here to be labeled US beef.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:28 pm

Probably a better chance of it being raised in the US than it being Angus.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:28 pm

As long as it's black it's Angus... Right ??? ;-)
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:36 am

pricefarm wrote:As long as it's black it's Angus... Right ??? ;-)

When you pull up qualifications for certified Black Angus beef it says nothing about being US beef. Just that has to be black and meet the physical qualifications and have a black coat of hair and grade of meat.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:58 pm

BK9954 wrote:
pricefarm wrote:As long as it's black it's Angus... Right ??? ;-)

When you pull up qualifications for certified Black Angus beef it says nothing about being US beef. Just that has to be black and meet the physical qualifications and have a black coat of hair and grade of meat.

But you don't know the grade of meat until you buy it, kill it and process it and they damm sure ain't gonna throw any away.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:36 pm

BK9954 wrote:We are doing a prime rib special for Christmas. $6 a pound for ribeyes labeled angus origin of the USA. Packed by

Could be a "loss leader" promotion by your area grocer.
Hamburger was $1.88 lb last week at our local grocery store. Other times it's selling coffee or toilet paper at a loss
to lead customers into shopping at their store. It usually changes every week or two.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:44 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
BK9954 wrote:We are doing a prime rib special for Christmas. $6 a pound for ribeyes labeled angus origin of the USA. Packed by

Could be a "loss leader" promotion by your area grocer.
Hamburger was $1.88 lb last week at our local grocery store. Other times it's selling coffee or toilet paper at a loss
to lead customers into shopping at their store. It usually changes every week or two.

This is with my corporate restaurant job. We check the beef prices every week to decide what cuts will make the best margin without affecting quality. We buy tens of thousands of pounds a week at wholesale. Beef has been creaping back up. Our ground angus went from 1.80 to little over 2.20( frozen is cheaper @ $1.80). Ribeyes creeping up in the mid 6's and all the other cuts are averaging from 2.40 to 3.00( up from around $2). I would figure with the cattle being sold so cheap it would stay down a while. The only thing still holding down is beef liver. It is in the .80 down from $1 last year. Wonder how long to run the cheap beef from the price crash through the feed lots.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”