Marketing dink heifers

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Re: Marketing dink heifers

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:03 pm

...they're pretty dadgum small.

I'll see what I can do picture-wise in the next day or two.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Dave wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:Sell them and let someone like me improve them and make money. Or if u have the time and feed, worm them, care for them and make a profit. Somewhere between now and the slaughterhouse someone will make money, might as well be you.

Or they could loss money every step of the way between now and the kill floor. The feed a dink eats cost just as much per pound as the feed fed to a good growth calf. But that good growth calf takes less pounds of that feed to add on a pound of gain.

That's the crux of the questions I'm asking myself.

Ojp6 wrote:The question would be whether they are just hard and small from not getting enough to eat and will take off when fed or if they are true dinks that will never grow into anything.

That's the crux of the questions I'm asking myself.

plumber_greg wrote:Sell the dinks, sell the cows that raised the dinks, and regroup with whatever the money is and get something that won't raise dinks. gs

I'm not sure (as they weren't my cows or bulls) but I believe that the cows and bulls responsible for these calves are in someones' freezer somewhere. These calves just sorta showed up at my door uninvited, if you will. Just trying to make lemonade. Or a purse from a sows' ear. Etc.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm with Kenny , feed em .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Ojp6 wrote:The question would be whether they are just hard and small from not getting enough to eat and will take off when fed or if they are true dinks that will never grow into anything.

Good point, there is 2 farms in this area that I will not buy any of the calves because they are inbred and will not make any money. I buy what most people call dinks year round at a discount but you have to know why they are like they are. Usually, and notice I say usually, if they have some frame but are thin they will grow and make money. I don't buy short calves no matter what they cost.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Aaron wrote:Dinks and orphans are sold ASAP for whatever the market is - which is usually pretty good - amazing how many people like an extra challenge and are willing to pay for it. Too much hassle for very little payout for me. Focus time and energy on animals that have potential.

2X
Used to even buy a lot of those, and then load them up with inputs.
Some could be turned around, and some not. On average not a good buy but very educational.
0 x
Stocker Steve

No Rest Farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby No Rest Farm » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:17 pm

Here lies the real issue. Some calves just don't grow very fast no matter what you do. I had a one heifer in a small group I was feeding this fall. All out of the same bull and this one calf just couldn't get going. All wormed and vaccinated at the same time and feed the same thing. I sold her on the first load I shipped, now she is someone else's problem.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:55 pm

I think here's my plan.

I'm currently feeding DDG at a rate of about 17lbs / week / head ... so ... three weeks = one bag / head ... one bag = about $5.50.

So, I'll invest $5.50, plus hay and mineral for three weeks to see if any of them start to sort out or not.

If no real progress, they'll become someone else's 'opportunity' on January 23rd.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:24 am

At least u got a plan, I actually think the market will improve a little by then
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:25 am

THink it will get better, Kenny? I think the corn belt cattle feeders have bid enough to feed their cheap corn, and market will take a hit till closer to grass time.
Using the BOT futures prices, they will be lucky to break even on them now. I look for the market to fade, then rally later on. The smaller calves, not the 800lb. feeders. Just my opinion. gs
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:15 am

kenny thomas wrote:

Good point, there is 2 farms in this area that I will not buy any of the calves because they are inbred and will not make any money. I buy what most people call dinks year round at a discount but you have to know why they are like they are. Usually, and notice I say usually, if they have some frame but are thin they will grow and make money. I don't buy short calves no matter what they cost.

you won't buy some cows because they are "inbred"

i won't tell the ranchers who linebred their cattle for 50+ years who get a premium for their amazing cattle that.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:01 am

WalnutCrest wrote:I think here's my plan.

I'm currently feeding DDG at a rate of about 17lbs / week / head ... so ... three weeks = one bag / head ... one bag = about $5.50.

So, I'll invest $5.50, plus hay and mineral for three weeks to see if any of them start to sort out or not.

If no real progress, they'll become someone else's 'opportunity' on January 23rd.

Gonna have to feed them a little more than 2 lbs a day to get results. Try 2% of their body weight.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:23 am

I'm up for that.

Still a relatively small investment to see if anything good comes from it; if it doesn't is not the end of the world.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:25 am

I'm also gong to try some secret sauce my father in law uses. Some sort of rumen stimulant with beneficial microbes that is supposed to help with efficient conversion.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:38 am

WalnutCrest wrote:I'm also gong to try some secret sauce my father in law uses. Some sort of rumen stimulant with beneficial microbes that is supposed to help with efficient conversion.

Rumensin, which is an ionophore. May as well deworm, multimin, and implant for maximum results. I bet you see a difference :)
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:28 am

I want an update in 6mo.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”