How far is too far

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
malfers
Beginner
Beginner

How far is too far

Postby malfers » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:34 pm

How far are you willing to drive to purchase cattle same on how far will you ship.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: How far is too far

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:39 pm

We ship calves from VA to Nebraska all the time. What are u referring to, cow, bull, heifers?
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Friend of mine bought a lot of cows from Texas several years ago when they had a bad drought and brought them to Virginia and they done ok.
0 x

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:43 pm

If it is much over 12 or 1300 miles you may want to find somewhere to rest them and give them some hay and water somewhere in the middle.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

mooo
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mooo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:52 pm

original herd would walk to gate if back trailer up to it , but only had to move less than 20 mile every three to six months depending on weather an pasture conditions ,buy with in 50 mile radius or less .sell about the same .
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:39 pm

I will get out and go a little fit some open heifers, if they are exactly like what I've got in mind. I gone as much as 250 miles a few times. You need to load the trailer to make it feasible though.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:25 pm

Use to have several dairymen here in central Texas buy dairy cattle in Tennessee and have them delivered here. Would make one stop on the way, unload and allow them to rest a couple of hours, eat and drink.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

js1234
Rancher
Rancher

Postby js1234 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:18 pm

Wherever it pencils. Over the years, I've bought them from neighbor across the fence, 2 Canadian Provinces, 4 States in Mexico and 17 Western and MidWestern States.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:18 am

Hopefully our new leader will make it cost prohibitive to buy and import cattle from south of the border. The cost of living - surviving is to cheap in Mexico for US to compete with. If folks would put our country first, instead of money we could really make America great again. This might be our last chance.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:36 am

The last couple years I shipped pot loads of bred heifers from the Washington coast to Eastern Nebraska. The trucks stopped in Montana after 12-15 hours on the road to take a break
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:07 am

Did you ever hear from them again? I wonder how they made the transition to their new home/forage?
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:50 pm

talltimber wrote:Did you ever hear from them again? I wonder how they made the transition to their new home/forage?

After the first year (2014) he was real happy. Contacted early in 2015 before the bottom fell out of the market. He also had a feedlot so by the time the heifers we delivered he was losing his shirt on fat cattle. He took delivery and paid for the heifers but I never heard from him again.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:49 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Hopefully our new leader will make it cost prohibitive to buy and import cattle from south of the border. The cost of living - surviving is to cheap in Mexico for US to compete with. If folks would put our country first, instead of money we could really make America great again. This might be our last chance.

AND we ship almost 15% of our entire agricultural exports to Mexico. They might have a say in those decisions as well. It's always a two way street.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:22 pm

I have bought a lot out of Texas and Oklahoma, registered stock that is.
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Return to “Cattle Sales”