Bred Cow Market has been Trumped !

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: Bred Cow Market has been Trumped !

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:Stick with the cows. By the time you bury a few and spend a thousand on medicine you will be money ahead.

Some people like risk, and are really really fast with the pistol syringe...

If you put together a group of stocker cows be realistic about the weaning percentage.

If I was going to go (back) into stocker cows I would not source them locally. Too many hobby guys bidding too high for stocker cows here. I would put a black bull on the ones I trucked in, and resell the better cut in the fall, as replacements.

I can snag some young first trimester cows by the pound or keep them under $1000 per head, the hobby guys just want heavy breds here. The goal is the take them to a special sale as 3 n 1s or at least pairs in November-December. Worst case scenario I take them back as breds the next August and the calves as feeders.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:15 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:Stick with the cows. By the time you bury a few and spend a thousand on medicine you will be money ahead.

Some people like risk, and are really really fast with the pistol syringe...

If you put together a group of stocker cows be realistic about the weaning percentage.

If I was going to go (back) into stocker cows I would not source them locally. Too many hobby guys bidding too high for stocker cows here. I would put a black bull on the ones I trucked in, and resell the better cut in the fall, as replacements.

I can snag some young first trimester cows by the pound or keep them under $1000 per head, the hobby guys just want heavy breds here. The goal is the take them to a special sale as 3 n 1s or at least pairs in November-December. Worst case scenario I take them back as breds the next August and the calves as feeders.

:nod:
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:17 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:Ahhh...risk-adjusted expected values based on the phase of the cattle cycle. Not asking for too much there, eh?

My Indian name is Black Swan.
0 x
Stocker Steve

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Nice.

Sometimes I feel like mine is "Whoops".
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
WalnutCrest wrote:Ahhh...risk-adjusted expected values based on the phase of the cattle cycle. Not asking for too much there, eh?

My Indian name is Black Swan.

That's better than Yellow Snow :D
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Return to “Cattle Sales”