Romance vs. Reality: Hard Lessons Learned in a Grass-fed Beef Marketing Cooperative

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Romance vs. Reality: Hard Lessons Learned in a Grass-fed Beef Marketing Cooperative

Postby Lazy M » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Visited a grass fed beef operation a few years ago. Around 40 hd of feeders that they would buy at 3-400# and finish on grass. I believe that the farm was 150a. Their pastures looked like carpet and their cattle looked very hungry. They purchased high quality alfalfa mixed hay and supplemented with hay year round. They said that it took them around a 12-15 mos to finish them after purchase. Claimed that they had a waiting list for their beef. Not sure if they are still in business, but at the time they indicated that they were pleased with their bottom line.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Re: Romance vs. Reality: Hard Lessons Learned in a Grass-fed Beef Marketing Cooperative

Postby jedstivers » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:06 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I'm not sure where a person would have to live to make that grass fed beef thing work. I just know it wouldn't be here. You could never part out an entire calf crop here to people wanting grass fed beef. Then you factor in to the equation the amount of land you'd have tied up in holding a calf crop over for almost another year, if not a year. Feed cost would be non existent, but land cost (with lost cow/calf production factored in) would be astronomical.

Then add in the fact of what grass fed taste like.
Give me good corn fed beef.
0 x

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:40 am

jedstivers wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I'm not sure where a person would have to live to make that grass fed beef thing work. I just know it wouldn't be here. You could never part out an entire calf crop here to people wanting grass fed beef. Then you factor in to the equation the amount of land you'd have tied up in holding a calf crop over for almost another year, if not a year. Feed cost would be non existent, but land cost (with lost cow/calf production factored in) would be astronomical.

Then add in the fact of what grass fed taste like.
Give me good corn fed beef.

+1.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:23 am

jedstivers wrote:Then add in the fact of what grass fed taste like. Give me good corn fed beef.

You need to eat venison for a while to train your palette. Then transition to grass fed. :nod:
0 x
Stocker Steve

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:21 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
jedstivers wrote:Then add in the fact of what grass fed taste like. Give me good corn fed beef.

You need to eat venison for a while to train your palette. Then transition to grass fed. :nod:

I do like venison but they are goats. We're talking cattle here. I want corn fed beef.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:26 am

you probably haven't had good grass finished beef.. I have never had a complaint and honestly it is different but it isn't a bad taste...most people I know are transitioning to this to finish out their own animals vs grain finishing...locally anyways.
here in fl I can finish em on grass ..I usually do about 6 a yr..then if the locals don't buy em off to the market with minimal inputs.
florida doesn't grow them 600lb weaners like a lot of yall claim to have..our more like 450
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:13 am

Turkeybird wrote:Heard on radio yesterday that 1/3 of the workforce in u.s. Processing plants were Hispanic workers. Trump will throw a monkey wrench in their lap

Same true of the processing plant over here. Not sure what they are going to do. Our area has a ton of fruit produce - grapes, cherries, apples, etc that aren't feeling very good right now either.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:32 am

I am engaged in a polite debate with some experts on grass on FB. They paint the grain guys as uninformed or less smart on costs and beef husbandry.

I got into beef with no preconceived ideas, bias or prejudice. I am somewhat at a loss with the dogma on both sides. Like most things in life an "us & them" has developed with battle lines drawn. We tend to find ourselves in one of two camps, the 3 or 4 frame bunch and the 6 or 7 frame bunch, taking pot shots at each other.

I am a simple man, looking for simple answers. Why can't I find a forage frame 5 bull and manage my costs down to at least try to be profitable?? Heck the capital costs are daunting enough, I would like a shot at managing my operating expenses down.

I visited my cousin this weekend to look at his operation. The guy is smart, and a very independent thinker. He liquidated everything during the apex of cattle prices. He is back in now. He has no grass, with a small amount of hay ground. He puts a bale of hay or baled silage, high protein rice meal, gin trash, 20 gallons of used cooking oil, 10 gallons of liquid feed and stale bread in a Jaylor mixer. Lets that rest a day or so, and feeds that every day, all year long. He feeds out his own calves and those he buys as stockers. He ain't big-time, but he turns 50 to 70 a year, maybe a little more. He also feeds some corn based feed and hay is always available. His animals get some Bermuda grass in the summer.

That is not where I want to go. It works for him, but he has a lot of capital equipment and very little land.

0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:11 am

HDRider wrote:He liquidated everything during the apex of cattle prices.

Well, that says something about him...
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”