Prices of bulls

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Prices of bulls

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:19 am

I think it's worth hearing them out, go with an open mind and a sharp pencil!
Lets say you get 1/3rd of the value of the calves, but the calves aren't worth 3x what your current calves are.. you're no further ahead and you'll probably screw up your calving season over it.
For safety, I'd stipulate a minimum value you get per calf, and if that bull is so great, I'd try and push for perhaps a pick of 1 out of every 10 or 20 heifers born to keep as my own or before long you're not going to have a herd to implant into. If this bull is as good as his price tag says he is, that would leave you with a nice bit of residual value in the herd for later!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:13 am

I'm going to give my opinion from the other side. I am currently working with an outfit to raise my ET calves. I am paying $100 per cow to set up. So, if I do 10 cows, that is $1000. Then, they are palpated at 60-75 days. I pay $400 per pregnant recip at that time. When the calves hit the ground, I pay $500 per live calf. At weaning, I pay another $500 per weaned calf.
So, if a cow aborts, I don't pay after preg check. If a calf dies, I don't pay the weaning payment. It comes out to $1500 per weaned calf. That seems pretty good for the calf raiser with the market right now.
I couldn't find recip cows, get them bred, feed them, calve them, and get to weaning for $1500 each. If I had the recips, I would be doing it all myself.
Trans Ova charges like this, but instead of the $500, they are $700. The set up fee is higher too.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:26 am

Trans Ova, to my knowledge, doesn't have a live calf deal. They do have a bred recip program, though. Has their deal changed in the last 9 months to include a live calf offering?
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:03 am

The only additional info I have is that they would pay us $200 over market for each live calf that makes the cut. We don't technically creep feed but we cube year 'round; hardly anything in the spring/summer when they're grazing but enough to check every cow/calf/bull every day and primarily to get the calves used to the cubes. Most of them are hand-feeders by the time we wean, all of them already eat cubes so we don't have to purchase creep/starter feed & weaning is easier on the calves (not a huge change in diet).
The biggest obstacle would be making sure the ET cows are not exposed to any of our bulls and potentially screwing up our breeding/calving operation.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:44 am

greatgerts wrote:I'm going to give my opinion from the other side. I am currently working with an outfit to raise my ET calves. I am paying $100 per cow to set up. So, if I do 10 cows, that is $1000. Then, they are palpated at 60-75 days. I pay $400 per pregnant recip at that time. When the calves hit the ground, I pay $500 per live calf. At weaning, I pay another $500 per weaned calf.
So, if a cow aborts, I don't pay after preg check. If a calf dies, I don't pay the weaning payment. It comes out to $1500 per weaned calf. That seems pretty good for the calf raiser with the market right now.
I couldn't find recip cows, get them bred, feed them, calve them, and get to weaning for $1500 each. If I had the recips, I would be doing it all myself.
Trans Ova charges like this, but instead of the $500, they are $700. The set up fee is higher too.

So you can use someone else's cow for 2+ months for free if it comes up open when there palpated?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:23 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
greatgerts wrote:I'm going to give my opinion from the other side. I am currently working with an outfit to raise my ET calves. I am paying $100 per cow to set up. So, if I do 10 cows, that is $1000. Then, they are palpated at 60-75 days. I pay $400 per pregnant recip at that time. When the calves hit the ground, I pay $500 per live calf. At weaning, I pay another $500 per weaned calf.

So you can use someone else's cow for 2+ months for free if it comes up open when there palpated?

Yes, but the set up ($100) I think would cover the drugs plus a portion of those carrying costs. If I want to fetal sex, there would be an ultrasound charge added.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”