Interesting ways to sell bulls

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Interesting ways to sell bulls

Postby zirlottkim » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:51 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:
zirlottkim wrote:http://cppbullsale.com/ I was at the sale Saturday. A lot of bulls didn't sell, and they were very reasonably priced. I felt bad those people that put the time and effort to raise good bulls, and didn't sell them.

Did they actually try to sell them in some sort of unique fashion (i.e., in any fashion other than a straight auction, cowboy auction or private treaty)? If so, how did they do it (I ask because it wasn't clear from what was on the site you linked to or in their catalog).

Nothing unique. Just a standard auction. They had a $2000 minimum bid on the better bulls. I'm sure they'll have to get creative to sell off the rest.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:52 pm

That's what I thought. While I feel bad for all those folks too, I'm really just looking for creative-out-of-the-gate, not a "necessity is the mother of invention" approach.

I'll keep searching and reporting back here ... I look forward to anything anyone else comes up with.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:36 am

Here's another -- http://www.hofmannsimmental.com/bull-sale/ -- some bulls in the catalog are sold at a fixed price in a modified private treaty approach and some are sold via traditional auction with a minimum opening price. This approach to selling bulls takes place over a whole week.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:25 am

Private treaty can get complicated here. Some sellers "set" prices and then call repeat customers who have preference, the remaining bulls are then advertised, and bulls who are still remaining after advertising get rented out. In recent years this pricing approach has been some issues with not adjusting enough to market price declines, causing some confusion and hard feelings.

I think the rental option is not popular with most, but it does generate some new buyers in following years. This brings up the bull retirement credit offered by big time operators. Have you seen more than a $200 to $300 credit for retiring bulls by the pound, on site the day before the auction?
0 x
Stocker Steve

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:31 am

I have not seen a bigger credit than that.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:42 pm

I just agreed to a 10 month payment plan for one of the bulls I've been offering for sale. I'm not crazy about it but they guy really needs a bull and right now he's short on cash. I hope it works out but I've certainly been screwed before.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:49 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I just agreed to a 10 month payment plan for one of the bulls I've been offering for sale. I'm not crazy about it but they guy really needs a bull and right now he's short on cash. I hope it works out but I've certainly been screwed before.

:nod:

I've been in deals like that before. It's great when they work out. Not so much when they don't.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:14 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I just agreed to a 10 month payment plan for one of the bulls I've been offering for sale. I'm not crazy about it but they guy really needs a bull and right now he's short on cash. I hope it works out but I've certainly been screwed before.

What's the interest rate? I'm interested in some bred heifers.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:17 am

Good luck. That's one of those situations that could have several bad outcomes but only one good one (but I'm sure you already know that).
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:27 am

I see some selling of bulls with genomic enhanced EPDs. I asked one (previous) bull supplier about this and he got very defensive... Why would you not use this technology to better predict the breeding value of seed stock, and command a price premium in the market? :idea:
0 x
Stocker Steve

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:42 am

Rafter S wrote:

Good luck. That's one of those situations that could have several bad outcomes but only one good one (but I'm sure you already know that).

I may wind up kicking myself but it won't be the first time I've made a bad business decision, lol.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:46 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

Zero percent just like the big car companies offer.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:21 pm

The man picked up his new bull at 8:00 this morning and put him right to work.

0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:41 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Zero percent just like the big car companies offer.

Yeah but a bull is quite possibly the only thing that depreciates faster than a new car. :lol: 30% when it drives of the lot versus 60% when he steps off the trailer.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:I see some selling of bulls with genomic enhanced EPDs. I asked one (previous) bull supplier about this and he got very defensive... Why would you not use this technology to better predict the breeding value of seed stock, and command a price premium in the market? :idea:

I can see why this bull supplier is not all hot to "embrace" this technology. In the dairy breeds, it is becoming a bit of a BS thing with the purebred breeders that both show and want LONGEVITY in their cows. There are too many of these Genomic superior bulls that are gone in less than 12 months. I don't even know how to read the new bull books when these bulls are out of VIRGIN HEIFERS whose dams have not even got a 2 lactation milk record. The figures can look great, but there is nothing like a tried and true proven record behind an animal to sell it. There are several purebred breeders that are desperately searching for some semen from older PROVEN bulls since they have bombed out on some of genomic wonders. Too many of these genomic bulls also have too many common ancesters and the breeds are getting way too much % inbreeding.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”