Interesting ways to sell bulls

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Re: Interesting ways to sell bulls

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:33 pm

farmerjan wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:I see some selling of bulls with genomic enhanced EPDs. I asked one (previous) bull supplier about this and he got very defensive... Why would you not use this technology to better predict the breeding value of seed stock, and command a price premium in the market? :idea:

I can see why this bull supplier is not all hot to "embrace" this technology. In the dairy breeds, it is becoming a bit of a BS thing with the purebred breeders that both show and want LONGEVITY in their cows. There are too many of these Genomic superior bulls that are gone in less than 12 months. I don't even know how to read the new bull books when these bulls are out of VIRGIN HEIFERS whose dams have not even got a 2 lactation milk record. The figures can look great, but there is nothing like a tried and true proven record behind an animal to sell it. There are several purebred breeders that are desperately searching for some semen from older PROVEN bulls since they have bombed out on some of genomic wonders. Too many of these genomic bulls also have too many common ancesters and the breeds are getting way too much % inbreeding.

Yes! I've seen some big train wrecks from herds that chased genomics generation after generation. We figured a genomic proof to be equal to thirteen milking daughters which is a great head start but a long way from proven. Some of the better results were from herds that would breed one generation genomic young sire and one generation proven. It did show us some standouts early on and it showed us some bulls that should have been studs that were really just duds.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:57 pm

I just had a conversation similar to this earlier this week ... there is great logic in buying someone's proven bull they're ready to retire ... vs. buying a virgin bull out of a 1st time heifer who herself was out of a virgin heifer ...

I type this while thinking about my old cows at home (13, 15 and 21 years old, respectively), wondering if they are going to give me bulls or heifers this year ...
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

insurman
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby insurman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:57 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:
zirlottkim wrote:http://cppbullsale.com/ I was at the sale Saturday. A lot of bulls didn't sell, and they were very reasonably priced. I felt bad those people that put the time and effort to raise good bulls, and didn't sell them.

Did they actually try to sell them in some sort of unique fashion (i.e., in any fashion other than a straight auction, cowboy auction or private treaty)? If so, how did they do it (I ask because it wasn't clear from what was on the site you linked to or in their catalog).

If you look at the catalog each bull had a minimum opening bid...so prob did not get the minimum bid so the owners took them home.

Watched a bull sale about 2 weeks ago and it was an all breed sale...the bulls were coming off of a gain test, seem to recall it costing $850 to put your bull in the test and some of those bulls were going for under a $1,000....I am sure they were a bit upset.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:23 pm

insurman wrote:Watched a bull sale about 2 weeks ago and it was an all breed sale...the bulls were coming off of a gain test, seem to recall it costing $850 to put your bull in the test and some of those bulls were going for under a $1,000....I am sure they were a bit upset.

What were they worth as burger?
0 x
Stocker Steve

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:16 am

Something I just discovered. I created a page on Facebook for my ranch. Displayed cattle, post pictures when they calve etc. post them for sale. Not many people see unless they actually look for my ranch or stumble upon it. There is a boost post option. Used it a couple days ago for a bull I an selling to see if it works. It lets you select the area you want to advertise, the peoples interest, gender, age, etc... so I selected Texas, people interested in cattle, brangus, angus etc.... for under $10 I have already accessed 3,000 people with my ad and had a guy contact me on purchase. Better responses then I got on craiglist. It charges you by how many people you reach. Not a bad networking tool. Sold 16 heifers for my neighbor for $24,000 for the group last week. I am sold. I am still posting craigslist but facebook is a tool of the times. Tons of people network and do business there.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:31 am

BK9954 wrote:Something I just discovered. I created a page on Facebook for my ranch. Displayed cattle, post pictures when they calve etc. post them for sale. Not many people see unless they actually look for my ranch or stumble upon it. There is a boost post option. Used it a couple days ago for a bull I an selling to see if it works. It lets you select the area you want to advertise, the peoples interest, gender, age, etc... so I selected Texas, people interested in cattle, brangus, angus etc.... for under $10 I have already accessed 3,000 people with my ad and had a guy contact me on purchase. Better responses then I got on craiglist. It charges you by how many people you reach. Not a bad networking tool. Sold 16 heifers for my neighbor for $24,000 for the group last week. I am sold. I am still posting craigslist but facebook is a tool of the times. Tons of people network and do business there.

Fantastic post!

Thank you
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:18 am

I created my page about a year ago. When you get people to click on your advertisement you can then invite them to follow your page. If they accept they will then get every one of your future post without any cost. Great network tool and investment. Great way to build a following. You can add buttons to your page that let them email you or call you just by clicking the button. Pretty much a free website for your business.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:51 am

...that's very easy to update, but (imo) very difficult to organize.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:11 am

WalnutCrest wrote:...that's very easy to update, but (imo) very difficult to organize.

Takes just a minute. No paying google to be on a search engine. Access to 10's of thousands of potential customers, tons of registered and commercial ranchers. Creating a group page is a project. Making a personal ranch page is just about logging in anout 5 minutes a day unless you are getting a lot of people asking questions wanting to buy your stock. Then its exciting. Why not? Its as easy as checking the weather on the internet IMO. Face book walks you through it. Made it easy for people that are technologically challenged.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:19 am

BK9954 wrote:
WalnutCrest wrote:...that's very easy to update, but (imo) very difficult to organize.

Takes just a minute. No paying google to be on a search engine. Access to 10's of thousands of potential customers, tons of registered and commercial ranchers. Creating a group page is a project. Making a personal ranch page is just about logging in anout 5 minutes a day unless you are getting a lot of people asking questions wanting to buy your stock. Then its exciting. Why not? Its as easy as checking the weather on the internet IMO. Face book walks you through it. Made it easy for people that are technologically challenged.

I think I've seen your page myself. Hobo ranch?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:27 am

RanchMan90 wrote:
BK9954 wrote:

I think I've seen your page myself. Hobo ranch?

So much for being an anonymous on this page. You are all over it. Must work for the NSA haha. I am selling out this year. Trying to buy my uncles out on the family property. Priced my cattle high but heck, who cares. I just wont give away anything breedable to the slaughter house guys at the auction. They are giving them away. Bred cows for $600, not mine. The Lazy Hobo Ranch. My grandfather named it in the 70's
Last edited by BK9954 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:34 am

Lol I just put 2 and 2 together you having the same avatar and cow pics here as there. I can't afford to give my cattle away either.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:40 am

RanchMan90 wrote:Lol I just put 2 and 2 together you having the same avatar and cow pics here as there. I can't afford to give my cattle away either.

If I can buy it I'm going to start over with Brahman cross Hereford. If I got to stick with the 15 acres I have bought right now I'll have no choice but to go with registered lowline Angus. It is what it is. Running over 100 acres but all but 15 is estate property. My Dad owns 33%
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:53 am

The difference between the Hereford/Brahman and Angus/Brangus cross calf prices will be a wash IMO. Polled Hereford breds can be bought for a song and almost as low maintenance as lowlines though while still raising a calf that will meet industry size standards. :2cents:
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:03 am

RanchMan90 wrote:The difference between the Hereford/Brahman and Angus/Brangus cross calf prices will be a wash IMO. Polled Hereford breds can be bought for a song and almost as low maintenance as lowlines though while still raising a calf that will meet industry size standards. :2cents:

Figuring brahman cows will lower the vet bills. I have the facilities to deal with them. Polled hereford bull would be choice. My black seem to have a few stress issues in the Texas heat. I have culled those but thats what I have seen.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”