What's a reasonable price to you as the buyer?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
bse
GURU
GURU

Re: What's a reasonable price to you as the buyer?

Postby bse » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:40 pm

If you look it says don't cut alot, not any!! Just because it's an ET don't automatically make it great. I do however give them a little more time.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:26 pm

bse wrote:If you look it says don't cut alot, not any!! Just because it's an ET don't automatically make it great. I do however give them a little more time.

...not an unreasonable clarification. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm more inclined to be more patient with heifers than with bulls. And the heifers I'm being patient with ate the ones I'm selling at discounted prices to let someone else coax them along. If they're staying here, I want them to go to work.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:07 am

Local sale yesterday had cows in second stage going anywhere from $625 to $800. Saw a three in one go for $700. Prices were so low that I wish I had 1,000 acres fenced in with good grass. I believe it would have been a good time to load up.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 am

Kilroy, you haven't bothered to list a general location or state, so saying a "local" sale sure doesn't mean much.
Or are you talking Canadian dollars?
0 x

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Sorry, SOB. Local sale in NE Ga.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
callmefence wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:If they are open without a calf at their side they are worth slaughter price.

That's right. If she ain't got a calf wth is she doing open.

Open cow no matter the breeding isn't worth a dried up monkey turd to me.

Yep, open cows with no calves at their side make me nervous, beef price is all they are worth. A heifer with first calf makes me a little uncomfortable at too high of a price. Always the chance they wont breed back. Anything unregistered I dont like paying too much over beef price anymore. When I first got started in cattle I made the mistake of buying cattle way over beef price, then when culling the crud out I lost my tail big time. That is not going to happen again. Actually I am at the auction today. Cant find what I want private treaty for the price I want. I have been hitting the sales for the last 3 weeks. The way I see it if I have a cull I wont lose over $500 a head after middle men mark up and feed. After a few years I feel comfortable enough to buy at the auctions, starting out I didnt. That cost me $1000's
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Wed May 24, 2017 10:31 am

BK9954 wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
callmefence wrote:
That's right. If she ain't got a calf wth is she doing open.

Open cow no matter the breeding isn't worth a dried up monkey turd to me.

A heifer with first calf makes me a little uncomfortable at too high of a price. Always the chance they wont breed back.

We never used to buy first calf heifers just for that reason. But recently we have had so much success that when we attend sales we actually look for the first calf heifer.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Last year had one I fed for 9 months that never bred back, I paid premium for her private treaty. I dont do business with that guy anymore or pay too much over market price for heifers either. The way the markets are it doesnt make sense to me to pay over market. If you get one at a sale barn then your risk is greatly reduced. Yesterday just bought a FANCY brahman/brangus cross heifer at $1.22 a pound. Those girls are being sold private treaty up to $1500. I paid $720. If she turns out to be a loser back to the auction she goes. But I wont lose $800 like I would buying private. I honestly think a lot of private cattle are extremely overpriced. Now a bull is a different story all together.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Return to “Cattle Sales”