Whats a reasonable price for registered hereford heifers

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Whats a reasonable price for registered hereford heifers

Postby BK9954 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:32 pm

I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Cant find anything except 4 skinny ones that are under $1800 in Texas, some up to $2200. Is this normal? I went to look at some registered bred cows for $1800. Turns out they were 9-10 years old. I wont buy one that old. This lady knew Caustic Burno. Small world in Big Texas. Are registered hereford heifers the gold of the industry? Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average? Thats almost double auction price.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Whats a reasonable price for registered hereford heifers

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 05, 2017 5:48 pm

BK9954 wrote:I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Cant find anything except 4 skinny ones that are under $1800 in Texas, some up to $2200. Is this normal? I went to look at some registered bred cows for $1800. Turns out they were 9-10 years old. I wont buy one that old. This lady knew Caustic Burno. Small world in Big Texas. Are registered hereford heifers the gold of the industry? Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average?

If you went where I think you went out of Yokuam Texas you have seen the gold standard IMO .
That lady is the only place I have went through the south that had better cows than mine.
Went to plenty of places they were as good.
She is the only place I will buy a Hereford bull since the owner of the Circle C died.

Try these people they run some of my stuff had good cattle

https://m.facebook.com/eilerscattleco/
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
BK9954 wrote:I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Cant find anything except 4 skinny ones that are under $1800 in Texas, some up to $2200. Is this normal? I went to look at some registered bred cows for $1800. Turns out they were 9-10 years old. I wont buy one that old. This lady knew Caustic Burno. Small world in Big Texas. Are registered hereford heifers the gold of the industry? Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average?

If you went where I think you went out of Yokuam Texas you have seen the gold standard IMO .
That lady is the only place I have went through the south that had better cows than mine.
Went to plenty of places they were as good.
She is the only place I will buy a Hereford bull since the owner of the Circle C died.

Try these people they run some of my stuff had good cattle

https://m.facebook.com/eilerscattleco/

No, Trina said call her sometime, she is about 20 minutes from me. Decent cows but wouldnt sell anything young. She did introduce me to a local breeder 8 minutes from my house which helped me significantly so it wasn't a wasted trip.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 05, 2017 5:59 pm

So you have been to Eilers.
Try Prause Polled Herefords
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:So you have been to Eilers.
Try Prause Polled Herefords

Thanks, I will.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 05, 2017 6:05 pm

0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat May 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Rockin 4 H the K-K,Rocking W carried some good cattle as well.
Here is the list of Texas Breeders
http://txpha.org/members/
I still think Prause was the best of them all IMO.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Rockin 4 H the K-K,Rocking W carried some good cattle as well.
Here is the list of Texas Breeders
http://txpha.org/members/
I still think Prause was the best of them all IMO.

I spoke with him today. He invited me over. Real nice guy from speaking with him. He has heifers and 2 year olds for sale. Only 1 hour away.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:23 am

BK9954 wrote:I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Cant find anything except 4 skinny ones that are under $1800 in Texas, some up to $2200. Is this normal? I went to look at some registered bred cows for $1800. Turns out they were 9-10 years old. I wont buy one that old. This lady knew Caustic Burno. Small world in Big Texas. Are registered hereford heifers the gold of the industry? Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average? Thats almost double auction price.

Where are you going with this? Golden certified f1s or purebred herf?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:03 pm

Purebred herf with a couple commercial brahman for some tigerstripe calves as well. Have a registered bull, why not use it to my advantage.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:09 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:http://prausepolledherefordfarms.com/

but $2500-$3000 per female $$$$ pretty pricey.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sun May 07, 2017 12:23 pm

$2500+ US would be the average price up here for premium registered open yearling heifers from a top notch operation. Lots sell in the spring and range from $2500 to $6000 CDN. Almost bought a bargain heifer at sale for $2700 CDN, but the price went over $3k and I was out. Commercial straightbred heifers are much cheaper - papers with the right pedigree add a lot of value to the price.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sun May 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Aaron wrote:papers with the right pedigree add a lot of cost to the price.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sun May 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:
Aaron wrote:papers with the right pedigree add a lot of cost to the price.

Papers don't cost much. But the value a person puts on them is what drives the price up. If he isn't going the registered route, he might as well buy straight breds.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dsteim » Sun May 07, 2017 2:59 pm

I don't know about Hereford sales but I watch most of the brangus sales and there's deals to be had on bred and 3n1 cows if your willing to sit through sales.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”