Whats a reasonable price for registered hereford heifers

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Whats a reasonable price for registered hereford heifers

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon May 08, 2017 8:17 pm

Some light reading 2015 numbers

http://agrilifecdn.tamu.edu/coastalbend ... 3-2015.pdf

Everyday prices
Golden Certified will run higher.
http://www.cattlerange.com/B-Tigerstripe.html
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed May 10, 2017 7:02 am

BK9954 wrote:I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average? Thats almost double auction price.

Depends on quality and setting and rep and location and time of year...
I bought some private treaty in the fall for $1100.
I saw registered open heifers with some rep auctioning this spring for U$S 1300 to 1500. I don't know how you can make money on that kind unless you are a seed stock operation. Maybe calculations are different in Texas. I asked one buyer and he said the opens were a good deal because the bred heifers were more. :?

What do you plan to do with them?
0 x
Stocker Steve

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:09 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
BK9954 wrote:I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average? Thats almost double auction price.

Depends on quality and setting and rep and location and time of year...
I bought some private treaty in the fall for $1100.
I saw registered open heifers with some rep auctioning this spring for U$S 1300 to 1500. I don't know how you can make money on that kind unless you are a seed stock operation. Maybe calculations are different in Texas. I asked one buyer and he said the opens were a good deal because the bred heifers were more. :?

What do you plan to do with them?

The only point for me to go that route is to sell registered heifers and bulls. Gotta start somewhere. Figured I would add some while I had my bull on the brangus but $2000-$2500 for heifers are a lot of money. Just a big risk on each animal, dollar wise, and wondering if I would get my money back on the calves.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

DavidMit
Beginner
Beginner

Whats a reasonable price for registered hereford heifers

Postby DavidMit » Mon May 22, 2017 9:36 pm

I'm a total noob to cattle. I have 0 experience however my wife was raised on a dairy farm. I am looking into getting a couple bulls for meat but I have no idea what I am looking at to pay for them. They are about 2 months old and from what I remember they have not been weened yet. They are Hereford angus mix. What should I pay? What are they called at that point? Calves? Feeders? I have no idea. Help

0 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Tue May 23, 2017 5:52 am

DavidMit wrote:I'm a total noob to cattle. I have 0 experience however my wife was raised on a dairy farm. I am looking into getting a couple bulls for meat but I have no idea what I am looking at to pay for them. They are about 2 months old and from what I remember they have not been weened yet. They are Hereford angus mix. What should I pay? What are they called at that point? Calves? Feeders? I have no idea. Help

Welcome to the site :welcome: Two months is pretty young to be weaning beef calves in my opinion, but it is done successfully all the time. I refer to the animals you described as feeder calves. They are probably no more or not much more than 300 lbs. I would diffidently not pay more than $500. They are probably worth between $300-$400 based on their exact weight. Another thing is if you are only going to use them for meat, you may want to consider purchasing a steer. I know that I charge more just because the animal still has its sack. I would consider purchasing a beef feeder steer. Good luck with it.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”