US Exports of Beef To China

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: US Exports of Beef To China

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 12, 2017 5:04 pm

HDRider wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
boondocks wrote:I read that in return we will allow (among other things) cooked Chinese poultry into the US. Given their adulterated food supply and complete lack of oversight of it, I sure hope that it will be clear to US consumers at the point of purchase that it's Chinese chicken (reminds me of a Barenaked Ladies song: anyone else?). But my understanding is that often it's baked (ha) into these trade deals that labels simply making people aware of the country of origin are often not allowed. I think that's wrong. Very wrong. When we're importing food from a country with zero consumer protection (h#ll, they don't care if they poison their own citizens), there's no way Americans don't have a right to know what they're eating. And if our beef export agreement allows that as a quid pro quo, then shame on us.

I can bear the shame.

Shame, blame or playing the game, there might be some concern warranted..

Scandals in the food industry regularly jolt Chinese society into new waves of skepticism with Chinese authorities and their abilities to properly regulate food safety. From melamine-contaminated baby formula that killed at least six infants and sickened 300,000 more, to tilapia fish drenched in chemicals and antibiotics, the Chinese people have been victimized by numerous food scares involving inferior, and even toxic foods and products.

China’s meat industry is similarly plagued by abuses and violations as meat producers and processors circumvent the law to get a larger or faster profit.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1473141 ... ou-cringe/

Like I said, I would not buy a food product imported from China. There are too many better alternatives.

The question I have is "will the cooked chicken go into another food product like a chicken pot pie where you will not receive warning"?
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Fri May 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Yes...
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
boondocks wrote:I read that in return we will allow (among other things) cooked Chinese poultry into the US. Given their adulterated food supply and complete lack of oversight of it, I sure hope that it will be clear to US consumers at the point of purchase that it's Chinese chicken (reminds me of a Barenaked Ladies song: anyone else?). But my understanding is that often it's baked (ha) into these trade deals that labels simply making people aware of the country of origin are often not allowed. I think that's wrong. Very wrong. When we're importing food from a country with zero consumer protection (h#ll, they don't care if they poison their own citizens), there's no way Americans don't have a right to know what they're eating. And if our beef export agreement allows that as a quid pro quo, then shame on us.

Given China's food handling and food safety practices including the practice of recycling food, I would not buy any food product labeled "imported from China".

Pish posh, man up and eat the tainted chicken.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 12, 2017 5:52 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Given China's food handling and food safety practices including the practice of recycling food, I would not buy any food product labeled "imported from China".

:lol: :cboy:
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

That's called the funky chicken
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 12, 2017 6:57 pm

M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

That's called the funky chicken

That is exactly what it will be - funky chicken. :cboy:
0 x

zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby zirlottkim » Fri May 12, 2017 11:23 pm

I have recently became friends with an Australian in the same business I am in. Commercial shrimping. I find it very ironic that China exports subsidized, pond raised, very cheap, antibiotic laced shrimp for the U.S. market. Antibiotics that are banned here in the U.S.. FDA rarely checks. Australia exports to China high quality wild harvested shrimp that are frozen and packed onboard their modern up to date fishing boats. They are getting a premium. As much as triple the value we are getting for similar products here. China exports the "junk seafood" to us while their middle class demands and pays for premium Australian shrimp. Maybe our beef will be in high demand in China.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun May 14, 2017 10:08 pm

zirlottkim wrote:I have recently became friends with an Australian in the same business I am in. Commercial shrimping. I find it very ironic that China exports subsidized, pond raised, very cheap, antibiotic laced shrimp for the U.S. market. Antibiotics that are banned here in the U.S.. FDA rarely checks. Australia exports to China high quality wild harvested shrimp that are frozen and packed onboard their modern up to date fishing boats. They are getting a premium. As much as triple the value we are getting for similar products here. China exports the "junk seafood" to us while their middle class demands and pays for premium Australian shrimp. Maybe our beef will be in high demand in China.

Let's hope so. And we all better start raising a few chickens on the side for home consumption. My grandmother and greatgrandmother used to go out in the yard and grab a chicken, break its neck and cook it up for dinner. (I'm probably omitting a few steps in there :lol: Guess if I want chicken I will have to do the same. Or grow tofu? Easier to strangle? ;)
0 x

warped04
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby warped04 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:30 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:If we're smart and only ship CAB then the tariff won't matter, they'll gladly pay it.

What's CAB?

As long as it's sold at Costco, people will buy it.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon May 15, 2017 1:12 pm

warped04 wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:If we're smart and only ship CAB then the tariff won't matter, they'll gladly pay it.

What's CAB?

That's the only thing I raise.
0 x

warped04
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby warped04 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:49 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
What's CAB?

Wow...I'm an idiot...Sorry. :hide:
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon May 15, 2017 3:57 pm

warped04 wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
What's CAB?

CAB -Certified Angus Beef.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon May 15, 2017 7:10 pm

warped04 wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
What's CAB?

I thought you were punking me, if not then I owe you an apology.
0 x

warped04
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby warped04 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:42 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I thought you were punking me, if not then I owe you an apology.

I wasn't...I'm still new to all your guys' acronyms. But it's ok. I thought it had to do with a certain type of export, so I refined my google skills :)
0 x

warped04
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby warped04 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:43 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:CAB -Certified Angus Beef.

Thanks!! I had found it on a refined google search. 8)
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”