re Breed Heiferette Market ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

re Breed Heiferette Market ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue May 16, 2017 7:45 am

You see some stylish black heiferettes being bought to go back with the bull. Lucky for them, but how does this pencil out when you don't get a calf for a year and the resulting 3 year old cow is jumbo sized? Wouldn't buyers be better off with a moderate bred cow? :idea:
0 x
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: re Breed Heiferette Market ?

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:57 am

Stocker Steve wrote:You see some stylish black heiferettes being bought to go back with the bull. Lucky for them, but how does this pencil out when you don't get a calf for a year and the resulting 3 year old cow is jumbo sized? Wouldn't buyers be better off with a moderate bred cow? :idea:

I think most of them are bought to resell. Everybody wants to buy jumbo size, second calf, spring calvers.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Tue May 16, 2017 8:42 am

RanchMan90 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:You see some stylish black heiferettes being bought to go back with the bull. Lucky for them, but how does this pencil out when you don't get a calf for a year and the resulting 3 year old cow is jumbo sized? Wouldn't buyers be better off with a moderate bred cow? :idea:

I think most of them are bought to resell. Everybody wants to buy jumbo size, second calf, spring calvers.

X2. I probably would.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue May 16, 2017 8:46 am

Define heiferette?
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 am

RanchMan90 wrote: I think most of them are bought to resell. Everybody wants to buy jumbo size, second calf, spring calvers.

I used to figure + $100 for a second calver over a 2 year old heifer. What price premium do you see in your area?
0 x
Stocker Steve

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue May 16, 2017 9:28 am

talltimber wrote:Define heiferette?

Big open hiefer. should be bred but isn't.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:33 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote: I think most of them are bought to resell. Everybody wants to buy jumbo size, second calf, spring calvers.

I used to figure + $100 for a second calver over a 2 year old heifer. What price premium do you see in your area?

Similar. Individuals bidding can really jack up the prices, $100-$250 premium. Could be more at a "special sale".
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue May 16, 2017 10:23 am

So, not exposed, ever? Or didn't take within their breeding season and sold? Or lost their first calf/ aborted, etc.?

I seldom hear the term. I assumed they were heifers that didn't take and were getting big.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue May 16, 2017 10:29 am

General term, but in the RE breed world it means they are 2 year olds who lost their calf at or shortly after birth. :(
So you buy a 1000+ pound wet ex mother with terminal angus genetics and re breed her before she gets too fat.
If she gains 1 1/4 per day you will soon have a 1,456# second calver. :banana: Just what all the beef efficiency experts talk about.
I did a few when the market was on the way up, and they looked really great in the pasture, but they were not the best return. If I had more rope I could have made them all nurse cows. :idea:
0 x
Stocker Steve

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue May 16, 2017 10:48 am

Ok. Thank you.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue May 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Around here "Heiferettes" are spayed heifers, so putting them with a bull in hopes of a calf is definitely not going to work for you
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 16, 2017 4:23 pm

I see them as all needing to go to the packer. Just buying someone else's cull. There's usually a "bad" reason a good looking young open cow is being sold.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:27 pm

I dont like open heifers past 15-16 months old. I figure they didnt breed and they are being sold. I like young heifers so I can breed to my bulls from day one. Not the biggest money maker but after the second calf I am confident in the animal I have and when I sell I dont lie. Bred heifers for me, no way. Had a local guy that had all of his bred, first one came out so big, had to pull it, so big that it paralyzed the cow. He then ran all his girls to the sale, bred!!!. Poor guy who bought those must have got a work out during calving time. I just like things as sure of a bet as possible. That being said I dont want to pay too much for an unproven heifer, after I produce 2 calves with her, I market her up as a premium pair or keep her as a producer.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Return to “Cattle Sales”