Rare Sight

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Rare Sight

Postby Ojp6 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:47 pm

Bigfoot wrote:You would never see any here, if you did it would be at jersey/longhorn prices.

They had some open F-1 tigerstripe heifers in Carthage TN a couple weeks ago that weighed 950 bring $1400. I thought that was a pretty good price for this part of the country. Those straight Brahman heifers are worth more that you would think too. A buddy of mine sold a couple off the farm the other day for $1000 a head weighing 600.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:24 pm

Good Lord, I'm in the wrong bidness . . . . . . . . . . . .how long does it take to get one of them to weigh 600 lbs?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed May 31, 2017 11:50 pm

Ol' 243 wrote:Good Lord, I'm in the wrong bidness . . . . . . . . . . . .how long does it take to get one of them to weigh 600 lbs?

About 7 to 8 months in my experience
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:04 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I've been looking at more straight brahman cattle than I care to remember the last couple months. Most places I went to their weaned heifers started out at $1800... weaned heifers... some registered some not. That was the bottom side of the group too. They were not show stoppers. If I saw what looked like a nice heifer you could be she was $2300+............ weaned heifers! :shock:

Sounds like a moneymaker for someone.

At that price - - why don't they raise them and then truck them in to Texas from Mexico or Florida or wahtever?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I've been looking at more straight brahman cattle than I care to remember the last couple months. Most places I went to their weaned heifers started out at $1800... weaned heifers... some registered some not. That was the bottom side of the group too. They were not show stoppers. If I saw what looked like a nice heifer you could be she was $2300+............ weaned heifers! :shock:

At that price - - why don't they raise them and then truck them in to Texas from Mexico or Florida or wahtever?

I'm not following you. Why would we want to buy cattle from Mexico? I can't really think of any thing Mexico does better than the US. Seems like they would want our cattle more than we would want theirs.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:44 am

Brute I was fishing yesterday with my hay man /fishing partner he bales for the big brimmer operation here.
He told me last year they averaged 3800 on their heifers.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:26 pm

Brute 23 wrote: I'm not following you.

The question is - - since Brahman heifers apparently sell for a big premium, why are there not more produced ?
0 x
Stocker Steve

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

The question is - - since Brahman heifers apparently sell for a big premium, why are there not more produced ?

Because so many sold their souls for black hides and now can't back down from it.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:19 pm

greybeard wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

Because so many sold their souls for black hides and now can't back down from it.

Well said
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

That is a good question. From what I have seen the straight Brahman game is not pushed to others like Angus or some of the other breeds are. They kind of push... add ear to your females... or... put your Hereford and Angus bulls on our females.. more.

I do agree with others that people have drank the black hide kool-aid and they also fell for the... you can feed you way to prosperity gimmick. I could also see the herd sizes being smaller and more weekend ranchers having some effect. Those don't go over with the straight brahman cattle very well either.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:24 pm

:pop: 2
Stocker Steve wrote:

I've never had any of them, but another reason might be the fact that you're going to get 50% bull calves, and they're generally worth a lot less than the heifers.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:09 am

Rafter S wrote::pop: 2
Stocker Steve wrote:

I've never had any of them, but another reason might be the fact that you're going to get 50% bull calves, and they're generally worth a lot less than the heifers.

... and heifers bring at least double... even thru the sale barn. Look at the original post. So how bad of a beating can you take on a bull calf when its heifer counter part brings $1400?Worse case scenario, it is a wash.

A guy I was talking to last week whipped out a receipt from the sale barn and his straight Brahman bulls were bringing $1.10 - $1.15.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:23 am

greybeard wrote:[quote="Stocker Steve")The question is - - since Brahman heifers apparently sell for a big premium, why are there not more produced ?
Because so many sold their souls for black hides and now can't back down from it.[/quote]

Now that we have black Herefords - - it is hard to think of a beef breed that is not black. Didn't some Brimmers turn black too?
0 x
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

As in buy low sell high Steve? Sounds good to me. Perhaps even put some cheap grass gains on them in OK and get them used to the sight of man.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
greybeard wrote:[quote="Stocker Steve")The question is - - since Brahman heifers apparently sell for a big premium, why are there not more produced ?

Now that we have black Herefords - - it is hard to think of a beef breed that is not black. Didn't some Brimmers turn black too?[/quote]

Yes there are Black Brahman cattle. They had a nice Black Brahman bull when I bought mine. Im not sure the details but I don't think its like the Black Hereford.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”