Rare Sight

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21068
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Rare Sight

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
greybeard wrote:[quote="Stocker Steve")The question is - - since Brahman heifers apparently sell for a big premium, why are there not more produced ?
Because so many sold their souls for black hides and now can't back down from it.


Now that we have black Herefords - - it is hard to think of a beef breed that is not black. Didn't some Brimmers turn black too?


Yes there are Black Brahman cattle. They had a nice Black Brahman bull when I bought mine. Im not sure the details but I don't think its like the Black Hereford.[/quote]

American Brahmans are not black they come in grey or red with black tail switch, hooves and nose.
Bulls may have darker colored forequarter.
Some Gyrs are black.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7133
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Rare Sight

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:36 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Sounds good to me. Perhaps even put some cheap grass gains on them in OK and get them used to the sight of man.


Raising weaned Brimmer heifers that sell for a couple grand might even work in the north. I assume the buyers would not want froze off ears - - so the safe thing might be to duct tap the ears to the head during the coldest periods. :nod: Guys calving in an artic vortex sometimes do that with new born English calves.

Do you think Brimmer cows and heifers would mind the application of a little duct tape?
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1171
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Rare Sight

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:Sounds good to me. Perhaps even put some cheap grass gains on them in OK and get them used to the sight of man.


Raising weaned Brimmer heifers that sell for a couple grand might even work in the north. I assume the buyers would not want froze off ears - - so the safe thing might be to duct tap the ears to the head during the coldest periods. :nod: Guys calving in an artic vortex sometimes do that with new born English calves.

Do you think Brimmer cows and heifers would mind the application of a little duct tape?

:lol2: Better just utilize them as summer grazers and send them South for winter. They can actually be bought cheaper North of I40 than Florida for that reason and save you a ton on freight.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Rare Sight

Postby Muddy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Because so many sold their souls for black hides and now can't back down from it.


Now that we have black Herefords - - it is hard to think of a beef breed that is not black. Didn't some Brimmers turn black too?


Yes there are Black Brahman cattle. They had a nice Black Brahman bull when I bought mine. Im not sure the details but I don't think its like the Black Hereford.


American Brahmans are not black they come in grey or red with black tail switch, hooves and nose.
Bulls may have darker colored forequarter.
Some Gyrs are black.[/quote]
You forgot the spotted Brahmans and black Brahmans. Greys and reds are more common than spotted and blacks tho.
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6167
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Rare Sight

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:30 pm

You can have one that says Grey but it looks red and vise-versa. The blacks do not register as Black. They just started carrying more black and more black naturally. You can't breed the blacks and think its going to be dominant. There have always been Brahman cattle that carried a lot of black. Some would have just a grey strip around their belly. There are some that just have a red strip around their belly also.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Rare Sight

Postby Muddy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:53 pm

0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21068
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Rare Sight

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:59 pm

0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1171
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Rare Sight

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:00 am

3 head deal of Brahman heifers weighed 710 lbs @ $2.85 per lb = $2,023.50 per head at auction here yesterday.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7133
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Rare Sight

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:11 am

Must be a lot of profit in running cows there.
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1171
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Rare Sight

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:21 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Must be a lot of profit in running cows there.

My luck if I had a pasture full of them they would have all bull calves for $1.10 a lb. Sexed semen would be worth it for that $ though.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7133
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Rare Sight

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:29 am

I am trimming back the cow herd a little and running more yearlings. I think a high stocking rate and 50% yearlings works better on my pastures.
Need to focus more on marketing yearlings to really make it shine.
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1171
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Rare Sight

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:54 am

Stocker Steve wrote:I am trimming back the cow herd a little and running more yearlings. I think a high stocking rate and 50% yearlings works better on my pastures.
Need to focus more on marketing yearlings to really make it shine.

What are 7-8 wt #1-1 1/2 steers bringing there?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7133
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Rare Sight

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:34 am

RanchMan90 wrote:What are 7-8 wt #1-1 1/2 steers bringing there?


Not sure. We have a very seasonal market for grass yearlings. Basically the month of August. Grass usually dries up in late July and yearling prices drop in Sept. as soon as significant no. sucking calves start coming to market.

There are quite a few yearlings coming out of the seasonal back grounding yards in the early spring. They got killed this February and March. Greasy ones were going for about $1.30 due to the low futures at that time. Many sold for a few $ more than a 5 wt.. Corn silage was cheap -- but not that cheap.
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1247
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Rare Sight

Postby BK9954 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:35 am

Black registered brahman, so the ad says
Image
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3706
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Rare Sight

Postby Rafter S » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:06 am

BK9954 wrote:Black registered brahman, so the ad says
Image


Craigslist? You know they can't lie on Craigslist.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill


Return to “Cattle Sales”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests