Selling bulls compared to steers.

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Selling bulls compared to steers.

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:16 pm

There's been a $90.00 spread between 600-700 weight bulls and steers lately. Cattle that have been worked are bringing a premium like they should again.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Selling bulls compared to steers.

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Im only seeing a hair over $30 on reports around here.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:47 am

I misunderstood
Last edited by Ojp6 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:07 am

Ojp6 wrote:Buy all the bulls you can find then and you can be as rich as you want to be. At that spread you could make huge amounts of money. The spread in the KY and TN area is between 10-20 dollars, sometimes less, depending on if you are talking about load of weaned steers or just your average couple head of steers. Sale I was at today 7 weight bulls bring 1.36. 7 weight steers from 1.40-1.45. 6 weight bulls 1.41-1.43, 6 weight steers 1.53-1.58.

Don't see the spread getting much wider than that as long as people are backgrounding cattle. It would take an extreme lack of competition or somebody monopolizing the market completely to ever see a spread like that at any sale I've ever been to. I'd be scared to take any cattle to a sale giving away any class of cattle that cheap.

Might want to check that math again. 12 to 15 cents a pounds..that's $72-90 spread on 6 weights...not far off from what to said True Grit said it was.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:05 am

Well to be honest I did use the most extreme price differences at this Wednesday's sale in Ashburn Georgia. Turner county stock yard sponsored our GCA supper last night and was pushing castration for bull calves, and also holding the calves till there around 700+ lbs, if you have the pasture.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:18 am

True Grit Farms wrote:There's been a $90.00 spread between 600-700 weight bulls and steers lately. Cattle that have been worked are bringing a premium like they should again.

$90 total sounds about right, or 15¢ a lb. Buy, cut, graze, sell in Aug, make $.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:38 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Well to be honest I did use the most extreme price differences at this Wednesday's sale in Ashburn Georgia. Turner county stock yard sponsored our GCA supper last night and was pushing castration for bull calves, and also holding the calves till there around 700+ lbs, if you have the pasture.

Would be interesting to know the percentage that sold at a 90 dollar premium......was it one instance or many more? Market reporting of the top and bottom price doesn't paint a true picture.

Would also like to know if they covered ALL the extras need for one to change their operation from selling 500 lb calves to selling 700 lb calves. Those are two very different operations .... saying "if you have the pasture" doesn't take a lot of risks into account and just puts $$ in the eyes of the inexperienced open minded.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:46 am

We started cutting and weaning at least 45 days over the past couple of years. I really want to do it this way. I don't mind the extra effort and I like taking a group of calves that are right.
The only thing.. I can see a noticeable difference in the growth of my calves cut vs intact. I'm cutting at about 350 # and implanting with ralgro. By weaning the uncut calves are noticeably heavier and more muscular. Enough to offset the markup for cutting.Idk if it's something in my method or in my cattle. I'm all ears
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:09 am

I've seen some pics of your haygrazer so I know you have some forage there. Are your cows/calves on good enough forage to utilize the implant?
I don't have a comparison, and don't know why you would, unless the obvious, you're selling bulls, as to why you would not cut them all?
Unless you are comparing previous years to a more recent year - and someone a little while back decided for the rest of us that we didn't have that capability. No way to tell year to year whether the calves grew more or they didn't. :roll:
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:37 am

talltimber wrote:I've seen some pics of your haygrazer so I know you have some forage there. Are your cows/calves on good enough forage to utilize the implant?
I don't have a comparison, and don't know why you would, unless the obvious, you're selling bulls, as to why you would not cut them all?
Unless you are comparing previous years to a more recent year - and someone a little while back decided for the rest of us that we didn't have that capability. No way to tell year to year whether the calves grew more or they didn't. :roll:

No I don't sell any replacement cattle. Zero. I do have multiple pastures. I typically gather pair's and bring them home to work and wean.
Sometimes a few get left or get brought in out of time. The last group one through a fit broke his nose, and continued to climb the walls. I skipped he got shipped intact. I run bulls year round and typically have a bout 3 groups per year. I know that calves coming back off different pasture and different bulls is not a scientific comparison. But I'm pretty sure of my observation. And like I said. I want it to work for us.
0 x

David Crockett

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:55 am

callmefence wrote:We started cutting and weaning at least 45 days over the past couple of years. I really want to do it this way. I don't mind the extra effort and I like taking a group of calves that are right.
The only thing.. I can see a noticeable difference in the growth of my calves cut vs intact. I'm cutting at about 350 # and implanting with ralgro. By weaning the uncut calves are noticeably heavier and more muscular. Enough to offset the markup for cutting.Idk if it's something in my method or in my cattle. I'm all ears

That's been the age old issue with cutting bulls. They are getting more $ per lbs, but are selling less pounds. The spread is not near as much as most people think, especially on the lighter weight cattle.

The biggest scam ever is buyers talking producers in to cutting the calves for them... for free. Its like when people say they got a great deal on a car. The dealer gave me more than blue book. I always ask... how much did you pay off of sticker? They say $2000 or what ever. Ya... you got screwed. They just re-arranged the numbers on you.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:19 pm

1982vett wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Well to be honest I did use the most extreme price differences at this Wednesday's sale in Ashburn Georgia. Turner county stock yard sponsored our GCA supper last night and was pushing castration for bull calves, and also holding the calves till there around 700+ lbs, if you have the pasture.

Would be interesting to know the percentage that sold at a 90 dollar premium......was it one instance or many more? Market reporting of the top and bottom price doesn't paint a true picture.

Would also like to know if they covered ALL the extras need for one to change their operation from selling 500 lb calves to selling 700 lb calves. Those are two very different operations .... saying "if you have the pasture" doesn't take a lot of risks into account and just puts $$ in the eyes of the inexperienced open minded.
Money is money. Cutting bulls is the oldest trick in the book, just ask any old hand. Make em a steer and turn them out with the cows. One of the best returns I have seen personally.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:12 pm

when we had that same kind of mtg with the feedlot guy from chiefland here all yall told that was bs... :tiphat:

like what brute said....
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:44 pm

I reckon Turner county stockyards auction off cattle and get paid by commission.
They did pay for dinner anyway
0 x

David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:22 pm

callmefence wrote:

I reckon Turner county stockyards auction off cattle and get paid by commission.
They did pay for dinner anyway

Have you tried banding or cutting at birth or in the first month? Turner county sponsors a supper a year, been in the same place and owned by the Wiggins family for 57 years. Yes he's in business to make money, but I truly believe he wants us to make as much money as possible also.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”