For the older guys here, what to expect in prices from a drought?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Re: For the older guys here, what to expect in prices from a drought?

Postby Ol' 243 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:05 pm

I hoped for rain every day last year, my neighbor prayed for rain last year, neither one of us got sheit. Worse drought we've had here since 1914, that don't mean God is good, don't mean he's bad, it's just part of nature and that's how sheit works. This year we have been blessed with an abundance of rain. Does that mean God loves us more than people who are.dry this year? . . . . . . . . . .No
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:10 pm

My memory fails me but it was early 90's.
Drought hit the SW.
Culls cows were bringing 300-400 bucks 5wt calf prices were in the .70
Sorry calves weren't bring hardly anything.
2011-2012 we were fortunate that prices stayed strong.
It's a crap shoot.
Prices are still good enough that herds are still building.
If the drought holds off till we get a surplus of cattle then it's going to get ugly.
If the drought that's in the Dakota's grown then prices make not drop as bad.

Who knows ???
0 x

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:13 am

The lord gives, and the lord takes away. Dry one year, flood the next! All I know is that if you keep on keeping on the best way you know how to and keep the lord in your heart you will make it! i have cussed and belly ached a bunch trying to make things work my way but have learned it ain't up to me.! When all else fails stop and go fishing and thank god for a waterhole with fish in it, or go visit your local nursing home,it'll make you thankful for what ya got
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:30 am

Ol' 243 wrote:I hoped for rain every day last year, my neighbor prayed for rain last year, neither one of us got sheit. Worse drought we've had here since 1914, that don't mean God is good, don't mean he's bad, it's just part of nature and that's how sheit works. This year we have been blessed with an abundance of rain. Does that mean God loves us more than people who are.dry this year? . . . . . . . . . .No

What is considered a drought in your area? In 2011, we got 11 inches of rain when we get on average of 60 in a year. We were in the desert in the west and a park ranger told us they were in a drought. I laughed and asked how much rain they are suppose to get in a desert. She said they usually get an inch and a half a year, but had only gotten half an inch. So now i'm curious at to what makes a drought in different areas....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:03 am

Ol' 243 wrote:I hoped for rain every day last year, my neighbor prayed for rain last year, neither one of us got sheit. Worse drought we've had here since 1914, that don't mean God is good, don't mean he's bad, it's just part of nature and that's how sheit works. This year we have been blessed with an abundance of rain. Does that mean God loves us more than people who are.dry this year? . . . . . . . . . .No

Getting on average an inch every other day. Not complaining I still have pasture I haven't fertilized, to wet to pull the buggy with a couple tons.
2011 I sold off 70% of my cows like most others that stayed in.
You can't feed profit in a cow through a drought.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:06 am

Its just now getting dry enough to cut hay. Looks like they took the rain our of our forecast. The guys are able to shred pastures now, but will get back to cutting hay this weekend. One custom pasture was good 3 weeks ago, now, its outstanding. So, when it comes to custom baling, its good for it to be a little wet...lol Before most of this last rain, they were able to get into a custom field and it made 5 bales to an acre. The next one, was that good then, so its going to be incredible.... We have one 80 acre field we cut for a weekender, its bottom land and is standing even after flooding. Its really good stuff too..Cant wait to get in there to cut...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Dakota cows are coming early this year. About 80 sort off pairs next week, and a couple hundred the week after. Pair prices have gone up recently. Were U$S 1050 to 1450 this spring. I expect 1350 to 1850 now.

Unless there is a total dispersal, I think they will be sold as old or needy or mean and exposed. So many opportunites!!! ;-)
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Cattle Sales”