Sale Barn sales

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
GAonmymind
Cowhand
Cowhand

Sale Barn sales

Postby GAonmymind » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Ok, I am having a difficult time understanding this. I know the prices at the sale barn go up and down dependent upon market, exports, feed lots, etc.

We run a closed herd except for the bulls. We try to minimize costs and maximize profits. Sold about $35k in the last 2 years of calves.

Brother took a load of his calves Monday and called and said that the calves 350 - 400 pounds made the most per pound. Said he made the same money off those as the ones weighing 500 and 600 pounds.

I told him we had noticed the same thing. Husband says it does no good to keep the calves to put on the weight because the ones in the 350 to 400 pounds bring the same amount of money as the 500 and 600 pounders. We have noticed this same thing repeatedly.

I was raised around cattle but not the business side. Retired two years ago and came back to GA when Dad got sick. Took over cattle to help out. Not ignorant just new to this. Any insight would be appreciated on what those guys dock for, look for, etc. :help: thanks
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: Sale Barn sales

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:15 pm

GAonmymind wrote:Ok, I am having a difficult time understanding this. I know the prices at the sale barn go up and down dependent upon market, exports, feed lots, etc.

We run a closed herd except for the bulls. We try to minimize costs and maximize profits. Sold about $35k in the last 2 years of calves.

Brother took a load of his calves Monday and called and said that the calves 350 - 400 pounds made the most per pound. Said he made the same money off those as the ones weighing 500 and 600 pounds.

I told him we had noticed the same thing. Husband says it does no good to keep the calves to put on the weight because the ones in the 350 to 400 pounds bring the same amount of money as the 500 and 600 pounders. We have noticed this same thing repeatedly.

I was raised around cattle but not the business side. Retired two years ago and came back to GA when Dad got sick. Took over cattle to help out. Not ignorant just new to this. Any insight would be appreciated on what those guys dock for, look for, etc. :help: thanks

True. Your 350-480 lb calves are going to be the most overvalued and 500-600 lb most undervalued. There's only a $50 price spread between these 2 groups. Reason being is 5 wts are too small to go to feedyard and stocker operations want to buy the lighter weight calves they can put the pounds on themselves. Buyers will have these values calculated and contracted in the price before the cattle get on their trailer. Just try to target the market in your area and sell what they're buying :2cents:
Last edited by RanchMan90 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 pm

In my experience, lighter calves will almost always bring more per pound, but heavier calves will still bring more per head. And if all it costs to get them to the heavier weights is grass, why wean early?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Price per lb and price per calf are two vastly different things. Just depends on how much it cost you to get them to a higher weight, and what the price per lb difference is.
0 x

GAonmymind
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby GAonmymind » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:09 pm

:tiphat: Thank you for the insights guys! I do appreciate your help!!
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:15 pm

The sale here today, the best 430 lb calf would have brought $700. The best 550 lb calf would have brought $861. Giving up the $161 is giving up the profit. Silly not take it if it's there.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:24 pm

GAonmymind wrote:Ok, I am having a difficult time understanding this. I know the prices at the sale barn go up and down dependent upon market, exports, feed lots, etc.

Yesterday at the Turner county sale #2 steers at 613 lb adveraged $835. And #2 steers at 420 lbs averaged $638. There's a lot of money just for feeding them some grass.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Is grass free? :P
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:57 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Is grass free? :P

No, but left uneaten it's wasted :D
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:45 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Is grass free? :P

Only when your calves crawl thru the fence. :cowboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:47 pm

Bigfoot wrote:The sale here today, the best 430 lb calf would have brought $700. The best 550 lb calf would have brought $861. Giving up the $161 is giving up the profit. Silly not take it if it's there.

When do light calf prices per pound bottom and peak in the mid south?

Here they often bottom in late October or early November (before deer rifle hunting), and often peak in early April (after snow melt).
0 x
Stocker Steve

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 am

That's about the same time frame here, generally. Lowest when everyone's spring calves come to town, and highest when the grass is coming on (or earlier when wheat grounders are stocking up as well, year depending)
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:39 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:The sale here today, the best 430 lb calf would have brought $700. The best 550 lb calf would have brought $861. Giving up the $161 is giving up the profit. Silly not take it if it's there.

Here they often bottom in late October or early November (before deer rifle hunting), and often peak in early April (after snow melt).

I couldn't swear I see any true rhyme or reason. They dropped this week for some reason.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:54 am

Bigfoot wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

I couldn't swear I see any true rhyme or reason. They dropped this week for some reason.

Futures board dropped a dime this week. All these paper traders have a big influence, that's who's setting the prices your local buyers are contracting too. When live cattle prices get a cold, feeder cattle prices get pneumonia :shock:
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:41 pm

I try to avoid selling in October. One calf buyer called it "National Dead Calf Month". I asked why. Hot days and cool nights increased upper respiratory infections. He said when there was a 30 degree or more spread between day time temperatures and night time temperatures cattle got sick more. They figure the extra death loss in their bids.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”