Hauled today

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Hauled today

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Mid 4 weights steers averaged 1.55
Heifers 1.48
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Hauled today

Postby Ojp6 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:21 pm

This is the first time I've seen you quote some prices that looked cheaper than Tennessee.

4 weight steers end of the week over here were still bringing 1.60+, 4 weight heifers at 1.51-1.55+.

That was for #1 blacks and BWF

I sold some 4 weight medium frame black heifers Thursday. I bought them cheap a couple months ago because they were short and they just never quite grew out of it, but they still brought 1.49
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Ojp6 wrote:This is the first time I've seen you quote some prices that looked cheaper than Tennessee.

4 weight steers end of the week over here were still bringing 1.60+, 4 weight heifers at 1.51-1.55+.

That was for #1 blacks and BWF

I sold some 4 weight medium frame black heifers Thursday. I bought them cheap a couple months ago because they were short and they just never quite grew out of it, but they still brought 1.49

Not here they are down I still beat the average at Crockett.

http://www.easttexaslivestock.com/market-reports/
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:14 am

Folks are not as optimistic here as a couple months ago. Cow prices are down a bit. I don't see a reason for calf prices to trend up unless everyone in China starts eating sweet and sour beef. Only the computer traders really know.

There is talk of shipping hay to western Dakotas but I don't see how you can afford 400+ miles. Should be a lot of man eating range cows coming east this fall. Most don't last long in a herd, so it is hard to make money on that kind unless you buy thin and feed them.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:59 am

I'd take that all day long.

I have some calves ready to go right now but we got that 4" a week ago. Was going to leave them out another month to get some easy lbs but I'm sure that will bite me in the butt.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:48 pm

The market yesterday was mixed. Steer/bull calves looked to be $3 to $4 per cwt lower, the heifer calves looked to be that much higher than the week before (some individuals were buying some Brangus and Brahman X heifers). Packer cows and bulls steady to maybe $1 lower. They sold 1 Brahman heifer by the head. She brought $1500 and weighed 555 lbs.

0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:24 pm

BC wrote:The market yesterday was mixed. Steer/bull calves looked to be $3 to $4 per cwt lower, the heifer calves looked to be that much higher than the week before (some individuals were buying some Brangus and Brahman X heifers). Packer cows and bulls steady to maybe $1 lower. They sold 1 Brahman heifer by the head. She brought $1500 and weighed 555 lbs.

That can't be right... $1500 for a #550 ... with all that ear? :lol:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:20 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Folks are not as optimistic here as a couple months ago. Cow prices are down a bit. I don't see a reason for calf prices to trend up unless everyone in China starts eating sweet and sour beef. Only the computer traders really know.

There is talk of shipping hay to western Dakotas but I don't see how you can afford 400+ miles. Should be a lot of man eating range cows coming east this fall. Most don't last long in a herd, so it is hard to make money on that kind unless you buy thin and feed them.

Got the market trends from county agent last night in email.
Packer cows the only thing that showed remaining steady all the feeders trending down.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:36 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Got the market trends from county agent last night in email.
Packer cows the only thing that showed remaining steady all the feeders trending down.

So time for more cow cull'in?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Looks that way Steve neighbor called
this morning talking about it.
Said he had few looked like the time to replace was right.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Pairs and bred cows still pretty stout out here.
Good Young Pair -------------------------------------------------------- $1,300.00 $1,850.00 per pair
6-8 Year Old Cows with Light Calves at Side ---------------------- $950.00 $1,375.00 per pair

Good Pregnancy Tested Cows --------------------------------------- $1,100.00 $1,400.00 per head
Good Pregnancy Tested Cows 6-7 Years Old ---------------------- $700.00 $1,150.00 per head
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 pm

I am usually selling 8 to 14 year old bred cows. They were worth $850 last fall. Do you have that kind in Texas, or don't they last that long?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:09 am

Stocker Steve wrote:I am usually selling 8 to 14 year old bred cows. They were worth $850 last fall. Do you have that kind in Texas, or don't they last that long?

Good brimmer crossbred will work into her 20's.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:30 pm

TexasBred wrote:Pairs and bred cows still pretty stout out here.

One of the talking heads recently questioned if there was any cow/calf profit left with the current replacement costs. What is with this profit stuff??? Obviously that depends on your operation, but not replacing cows comes with another set of issues.

I was planning on selling another cut of older cows this fall, but after calving out some purchased heifers this spring, I am having second thoughts. :? My wife (who does not see all the articles on how purchasing bred heifers is "cheaper") asked why are we purchasing these problematic heifers? MIC practice? MIG is way too easy, so now we do MIC = management intensive calving !!!
0 x
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Pairs and bred cows still pretty stout out here.

One of the talking heads recently questioned if there was any cow/calf profit left with the current replacement costs. What is with this profit stuff??? Obviously that depends on your operation, but not replacing cows comes with another set of issues.

I was planning on selling another cut of older cows this fall, but after calving out some purchased heifers this spring, I am having second thoughts. :? My wife (who does not see all the articles on how purchasing bred heifers is "cheaper") asked why are we purchasing these problematic heifers? MIC practice? MIG is way too easy, so now we do MIC = management intensive calving !!!

Ha background calves or raise goats if you need a hobby or feel like gambling on high returns :lol2:
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Return to “Cattle Sales”