Hauled today

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Hauled today

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:I am usually selling 8 to 14 year old bred cows. They were worth $850 last fall. Do you have that kind in Texas, or don't they last that long?

I doubt you'd ever have enough at any sale for the barn to be able to give you any real market on them. I'm sure most are sold by the lb. and bought by packers.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:14 pm

There is a good market here for old breds. About 75% of my culls go back to the country.

There are good bred buys occasionally, but surplus hay here really limits that. Hard to compete with free feed.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:17 pm

TexasBred wrote:I doubt you'd ever have enough at any sale for the barn to be able to give you any real market on them.

They truck in Dakota cull cows by the 100s. Some broken mouth, some solid mouth, some man eaters, most late bred. There will be a flood of them this fall with the drought. They provide an big opportunity to practice stock handling skills. :cowboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:45 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
TexasBred wrote:I doubt you'd ever have enough at any sale for the barn to be able to give you any real market on them.

They truck in Dakota cull cows by the 100s. Some broken mouth, some solid mouth, some man eaters, most late bred. There will be a flood of them this fall with the drought. They provide an big opportunity to practice stock handling skills. :cowboy:

I've never watched cattle being unloaded so have no idea where they come from at the sale barns down here. Could come from anywhere I suppose. But anything like you described above will definitely end up at the slaughter house whether she's bred or not.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:21 pm

TexasBred wrote:I've never watched cattle being unloaded so have no idea where they come from at the sale barns down here. Could come from anywhere I suppose. But anything like you described above will definitely end up at the slaughter house whether she's bred or not.

Dakota order buyers save them from packers during the fall run and ship them east by the semi load. They are usually dry lotted for a couple months. Even a toothless cow can look good with a TMR. Then they are sorted into uniform lots of about 6 to 10 head (that may have 3 or 4 different brands), and resold on a Saturday to not so experienced small MN operators. If they are black and shiny then they must be good cows?

There are a couple cow sales per month during the winter, and up to 200 recycled cows per sale, along with the local sort offs, heifers, and dispersals. The recycles may include a few decent young cows that did not breed back quickly on short pasture, but most of these recycled fed cows are ST or junk.

I bought some marked up Dakota simi / flech crosses and some Dakota herefords in my bottom feeding days. The simi x raised whopper calves for an extended period on improved pasture, but most of the herfs were usually only good for 1 or 2 calves and overpriced for that.

I do have a few slow teenage herfs left but they will go this fall. They may not last as long as Brimmers -- but they were $550 running age cows back in 2008/2009. I will miss them.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:25 pm

TexasBred wrote:But anything like you described above will definitely end up at the slaughter house whether she's bred or not.

I have been to Texas. I kind of liked being called Honey, and the boys are much better cattlemen there. :cowboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Talk about optimism, I saw a 92 year old rancher buying 5 to 650 lb Brangus type heifers for replacements.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
TexasBred wrote:But anything like you described above will definitely end up at the slaughter house whether she's bred or not.

I have been to Texas. I kind of liked being called Honey, and the boys are much better cattlemen there. :cowboy:

You completely lost me on that comment Steve.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 pm

BC wrote:Talk about optimism, I saw a 92 year old rancher buying 5 to 650 lb Brangus type heifers for replacements.

Haha That's awesome right there. Good stuff. I like his attitude and don't even know him.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:30 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Mid 4 weights steers averaged 1.55
Heifers 1.48

Hey Caustic, how old were these steers and were they weaned or bawlers? Just curious how you do it...thanks!

Tim
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:47 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Mid 4 weights steers averaged 1.55
Heifers 1.48

Hey Caustic, how old were these steers and were they weaned or bawlers? Just curious how you do it...thanks!

Tim

Four to five months and I weaned them on the trailer. Prices have been slipping here and I dumped them. Glad I did as they .10 to .15 lower this week.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:27 am

As hard as it is for some to believe, everywhere in the country isn't the same in the cattle business. Our prices have been up the limit a couple times this week.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:43 am

True Grit Farms wrote:As hard as it is for some to believe, everywhere in the country isn't the same in the cattle business. Our prices have been up the limit a couple times this week.

I usually have a pretty good handle on trends. Right now I am as confused as a hungry baby in a top less bar.
They were steadily trending up till a month ago.
Grit just went and looked price average has slipped.13 a lb since I hauled two weeks ago on the same weights
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:53 am

Then the board hits the limit up this week, back to $1.50 feeders Aug-Oct. Better take another heartburn pill and batter the hatches. I'm sure many of these old timers have seen a 10 year cattle cycle before though?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:28 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:I'm sure many of these old timers have seen a 10 year cattle cycle before though?

Sure, but computer algorithms were not doing most of the trading back then.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Cattle Sales”