Stocker Stuff?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Stocker Stuff?

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 pm

The grain futures market are showing some price increases after three tough years. In theory - - this will increase the value of gain and make stockers more profitable. Do you see, or anticipate, any growth in grazing yearlings?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Stocker Stuff?

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:30 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:The grain futures market are projecting some price increases after three tough years for commodity producers. In theory - - this will increase the value of gain and make stockers more profitable. Do you see, or anticipate, any growth in grazing yearlings?
0 x
Stocker Steve

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:20 am

i don't think the grain markets are going to go up much.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:42 am

ddd75 wrote:i don't think the grain markets are going to go up much.

So are you seeing any crop ground seeded to pasture?
0 x
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:25 am

Stocker Steve wrote:The grain futures market are showing some price increases after three tough years. In theory - - this will increase the value of gain and make stockers more profitable. Do you see, or anticipate, any growth in grazing yearlings?

Probably not. The stocker business is one of the least talked about segments in the cattle industry. The operators in it are the same ones that made it through the rise and fall of prices. With feedyard margins declining they're going to tighten up on with they can give with the big summer-fall calf runs coming up. Cow calf operators have a hard time adjusting their mindset to cash flow. Although I have picked up a few new orders from cow calf guys for several classes of steer cattle. I see opportunity for graziers soon as well :2cents:
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:31 pm

I have been re looking at the spring flush and the economics of "improved pasture". We get a pile of low cost forage from unimproved grass - - quack grass and June grass and Reed canary grass -- but they all shut down in the summer. So what can you graze for May/June/July and then sell in August?
0 x
Stocker Steve

No Rest Farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby No Rest Farm » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:58 am

If I was ever to go back to stockers I believe I would buy 5 and 6 weight heifers. It give a man more options
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”