Replacement Price Cycle ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Replacement Price Cycle ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:47 am

Retaining the same $ value of heifers each year is a proven approach.
Retaining the same number of heifers each year is not.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:51 am

The last Superior sale there was 9 lots of bred heifers on the sale. Last year at the Winnemucca sale there was 41 lots of bred heifers in the catalog. The Winnemucca catalog for this year wont be out until next week which will give a more accurate comparison. But I think it shows that there just weren't as many heifers held back and bred.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Dave wrote:The last Superior sale there was 9 lots of bred heifers on the sale. Last year at the Winnemucca sale there was 41 lots of bred heifers in the catalog. The Winnemucca catalog for this year wont be out until next week which will give a more accurate comparison. But I think it shows that there just weren't as many heifers held back and bred.

We are in a marginal row crop area and so beef cattle are popular. The big time operators are converting "crop land" to pasture support cow herd expansion. Perhaps this is why they are big? The small cow/calf operators are usually standing pat. The small feedlots are mostly closed. :(

I agree there may be less heifers held for resale, but here there are more heifers being retained for herd building.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Cattle Sales”