Paris sale barns

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Paris sale barns

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Bet with the right connection it can be gotten lots cheaper. Greybeard might hook you up. But then the new ford's have to have a key to open the tailgate or at least the doors whichthen does the tailgate.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:41 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Bet with the right connection it can be gotten lots cheaper. Greybeard might hook you up.

Not me, but my no count brother-in-law could probably fix ya up with anything on that list in short order. He lives about 10 miles north of Paris
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Paris TX area is the infected hair in the Memphis buttcrack. It really is a bad situation.
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:58 am

When I was about 13 my dad stayed in Paris while working construction on a Campbell's soup plant. I have fond memories of fishing the spill way on pat mays lake catching sand bass and stripers. We also fished a place south of Paris I believe it was T P and L power plant lake or something like that.
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:06 am

bird dog wrote:Why don't you sell your calves in OKC and avoid the drama. Probably a better price to boot.

OKC is over 5 hour drive. We put pen to paper and it didn't come out good enough to make it worth it.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:07 am

JSCATTLE wrote:When I was about 13 my dad stayed in Paris while working construction on a Campbell's soup plant. I have fond memories of fishing the spill way on pat mays lake catching sand bass and stripers. We also fished a place south of Paris I believe it was T P and L power plant lake or something like that.

Paris isn't what it use to be. But if you stay in the right part of town its just like any other town. My daughter is a police officer in Paris. She keeps us up to date on where to avoid....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:40 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
JSCATTLE wrote:When I was about 13 my dad stayed in Paris while working construction on a Campbell's soup plant. I have fond memories of fishing the spill way on pat mays lake catching sand bass and stripers. We also fished a place south of Paris I believe it was T P and L power plant lake or something like that.

Paris isn't what it use to be. But if you stay in the right part of town its just like any other town. My daughter is a police officer in Paris. She keeps us up to date on where to avoid....

I'll bet she has the complete scoop on why the district judge resigned last year
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:09 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
bird dog wrote:Why don't you sell your calves in OKC and avoid the drama. Probably a better price to boot.

OKC is over 5 hour drive. We put pen to paper and it didn't come out good enough to make it worth it.

It's 7 hours for me. You get no shrink going there. Did you allow for that I your figuring?
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:33 am

"OKC is over 5 hour drive. We put pen to paper and it didn't come out good enough to make it worth it."

If you owned and used a set of scales you would no it is by far a better option.

I hauled a load yesterday and its five hours one way for me and I have a sale barn only 15 miles away from the ranch. But then again I'm small potatoes, I'm sure you big ranchers know what your doing.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:38 am

bird dog wrote:"OKC is over 5 hour drive. We put pen to paper and it didn't come out good enough to make it worth it."

If you owned and used a set of scales you would no it is by far a better option.

I hauled a load yesterday and its five hours one way for me and I have a sale barn only 15 miles away from the ranch. But then again I'm small potatoes, I'm sure you big ranchers know what your doing.

Well, seems you little guys know way more than I ever will....
On a load of 100 5 weight steers, you're making around 7-800 here..... Tell me what that same load would get me in OKC.... We have semis, but we have to get permits to cross over into OK with a load like that. Then, you have to pay for fuel and we'd have to rent a trailer. Not to mention our time... Would not make sense to haul in our stock trailer where we can fit about 20.. And its always possible for a calf to get hurt during the haul, so you may have to cross someone out.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:36 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
bird dog wrote:"OKC is over 5 hour drive. We put pen to paper and it didn't come out good enough to make it worth it."

Well, seems you little guys know way more than I ever will....
On a load of 100 5 weight steers, you're making around 7-800 here..... Tell me what that same load would get me in OKC.... We have semis, but we have to get permits to cross over into OK with a load like that. Then, you have to pay for fuel and we'd have to rent a trailer. Not to mention our time... Would not make sense to haul in our stock trailer where we can fit about 20.. And its always possible for a calf to get hurt during the haul, so you may have to cross someone out.

Okc sale is live on LMA auctions.com right now, you can see for yourself. Freight from your location is only 4¢ a lb on a 48000 lb pot load, and that's paying someone to haul. Savings in commission and shrink will pay for that :2cents:
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:51 am

So 2000 to haul... OKS barns charge commission right?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 am

We sold 20 heifers last year that we culled from our keepers and got 850 pr head..Sale barn was bringing around 600 for the same type. I advertised them on FB and had them sold in a matter of minutes to one guy who bought them sight unseen and got them that day.
I'm thinking there is a way better way to sell that cuts out as many middlemen as possible. Stockers should take advantage of social media so they'd never have to buy at a sale barn....I know there are sites who do this...just need to investigate..Still have around a month
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:59 am

cowgirl8 wrote:Well, seems you little guys know way more than I ever will....

It's looking more and more like that may be the case . . . . . . . . . . . .except for arrogance, you got a lock on that.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:00 am

cowgirl8 wrote:So 2000 to haul... OKS barns charge commission right?

$1200 = 300 miles @ $4 per loaded mile
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Return to “Cattle Sales”