Paris sale barns

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Paris sale barns

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:34 pm

bird dog wrote:I wish I was wealthy enough where $1500 wasn't worth the effort.

Its probably about $50 - $70 a head to the best of my figuring and I only haul 12000 to 15000 lb at a time of 7 weights

1500 in a course of a year is peanuts... That's just an extra calf and a halfish.. Just being out with my cows daily, I save about 5 calves a year. You'd think that people who raise cattle would do the same for that kind of money, right....Its all how you look at it..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:48 pm

The OKC buyers are a little more sophisticated than your average sale barn buyer. Sure they will pay more per lb for a thin calf but they really want calves that are weaned, on grain and ready to gain as soon as they hit the ground at the feed lot or wheat pasture. The calves they are looking for are not high risk and they pay for that.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:08 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
bird dog wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:I'm guessing my shrink is 0 because we get up, haul and sell... We never take our cattle days before a sale... Is that a thing, really?

I guarantee you your shrink is not zero. I would bet at least 5%, probably more. Also the weight right off the pasture is gonna be about 2 or 3% larger than penning, loading and a short trip to the scales.

So you're saying, we take our calves to the sale the day before, they'll gain that 5% back and gain back what they lose in that 5+hour haul? HUM? The barns we take to have water and hay. Not every calf is going to in a day, siffle up to a hay bale or feed bin and eat up. If so, why don't that do that at weaning? Takes forever to regain that. And can I wonder why they aren't docked for being full of feed when they go into the sale barn? What buyer wants to pay that for a calf with a belly full of feed and hay? I've always been told a fat calf gets docked, no buyer is going to pay more for that added feed weight.

Listen to what is being said. You will learn something. It's fine to ask questions about what you don't know but change the tone of how your asking pls. Your coming across in a condescending tone.
You can stand to net several thousand dollars a year from one simple little thread.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Texas PaPaw wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:Why do y'all get less shrink in okc versus a "regular barn"?

At okc we ship them on Saturday for the Monday sale. They are unloaded into small pens that have water trough and feed box that has alfalfa based stockyard pelleted feed in them. This allows the cattle to fill back up and regain whatever weight they lost during the haul and the pellets let them eat more lb of feed without looking too full like sometimes happens when hay is fed. Also at okc my calves are never comingled with other cattle prior to selling so no fighting (= even more shrink) as typically happens at local yards.

For several years, I weighed every load when it left my place and compared to payweight. Local barns would shrink 4-6% or more where at okc payweight is +/- 1% of weight leaving my place, with average being zero. If you haven't weighed any cattle before selling them at these small barns pretty sure you would be shocked at how many fewer lbs you get paid for compared to what left your farm.

What so you think it is if you were to load in the morning and sell before supper? That's how we usually do. I guess we go to a small sale.
0 x

MoCrackerCowboy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MoCrackerCowboy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Craig Miller wrote:
Texas PaPaw wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:Why do y'all get less shrink in okc versus a "regular barn"?

At okc we ship them on Saturday for the Monday sale. They are unloaded into small pens that have water trough and feed box that has alfalfa based stockyard pelleted feed in them. This allows the cattle to fill back up and regain whatever weight they lost during the haul and the pellets let them eat more lb of feed without looking too full like sometimes happens when hay is fed. Also at okc my calves are never comingled with other cattle prior to selling so no fighting (= even more shrink) as typically happens at local yards.

For several years, I weighed every load when it left my place and compared to payweight. Local barns would shrink 4-6% or more where at okc payweight is +/- 1% of weight leaving my place, with average being zero. If you haven't weighed any cattle before selling them at these small barns pretty sure you would be shocked at how many fewer lbs you get paid for compared to what left your farm.

What so you think it is if you were to load in the morning and sell before supper? That's how we usually do. I guess we go to a small sale.

Craig
I bet you're looking at 5% easy

You will lose 2 to 3% just loading them and hauling them
0 x
I love high heels .......

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:30 pm

I just can't imagine being so vested in cattle and not having scales...;(
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:36 pm

Paris Stockyards here in Kentucky does the same thing as OKC. You can take your stock over a day in advance, they stabilize, are put on water and settle down where they are not pooping and peeing. Thus, they recover before sale the haulage shrinkage. I still lose some in shrinkage but nothing like a 5 hour drive, they stay on a truck, and then are pushed into the ring.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:38 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
bird dog wrote:I wish I was wealthy enough where $1500 wasn't worth the effort.

Its probably about $50 - $70 a head to the best of my figuring and I only haul 12000 to 15000 lb at a time of 7 weights

1500 in a course of a year is peanuts... That's just an extra calf and a halfish.. Just being out with my cows daily, I save about 5 calves a year. You'd think that people who raise cattle would do the same for that kind of money, right....Its all how you look at it..

It's hard for me to imagine some one saying 1500 isn't worth the trouble. The people I know who live on cow income count the price of everything in calves. 100 acres? That's 7 calves a year. New tractor? 2 calves a year. A calf and a half for you would mean you could pay for the pot trailer and haul your own without renting the trailer or paying for hauling.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:40 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Paris Stockyards here in Kentucky does the same thing as OKC. You can take your stock over a day in advance, they stabilize, are put on water and settle down where they are not pooping and peeing. Thus, they recover before sale the haulage shrinkage. I still lose some in shrinkage but nothing like a 5 hour drive, they stay on a truck, and then are pushed into the ring.

Ours does that too. You pay extra for it. They are given hay. Who know what kind. There's about 30 in a pen with water and hay on one side. The only was they get to it is if the whole bunch rotates around.
0 x

MoCrackerCowboy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MoCrackerCowboy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:42 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Texas PaPaw wrote: My experience is 4-6% shrink at several different area yards versus 0% at OKC when shipped on Saturaday for Monday sale. FWIW last load I sold there, all commission,fees, and 2 days feed were only $25/hd. No local yards will be anywhere close to that.

I'm guessing my shrink is 0 because we get up, haul and sell... We never take our cattle days before a sale... Is that a thing, really?

Your shrink is running 5% easy
Calves will lose 3 to 5% just loading them and hauling them 20 miles
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:45 pm

MoCracker is correct. Very rare to have one under 5% even in cooler weather. The best you can do is try to unload them just before they go into the ring. The stress on young light weight calves is the killer. They have been taken away from their home (probably their mother too), mixed with a bunch of calves that will bully them around, and exposed to all types of pathogens. They won't eat and they won't drink but they will darn sure walk the fence and bawl.
At OKC they are never commingled, stay in a small pen with their own creep feeder and water trough.
0 x

MoCrackerCowboy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MoCrackerCowboy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:49 pm

Can't believe someone with as large of an operation as CWgrl8 would sell at small local barns
Even with my small operation I would ship 2 pot loads at a time
I didn't go thru sale barns or a commission company
I sold mine to order buyers right off the ranch
If I hadn't been doing that I would of shipped to OKC
Heck even down here in Fl a lot of calves go to OKC
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:50 pm

bird dog wrote:MoCracker is correct. Very rare to have one under 5% even in cooler weather. The best you can do is try to unload them just before they go into the ring. The stress on young light weight calves is the killer. They have been taken away from their home (probably their mother too), mixed with a bunch of calves that will bully them around, and exposed to all types of pathogens. They won't eat and they won't drink but they will darn sure walk the fence and bawl.
At OKC they are never commingled, stay in a small pen with their own creep feeder and water trough.

It is a huge stress. I like our Paris yards. Seems like they provide a better environment to stabilize. I haul my 8 month old bulls to Fire Sweep who finishes them. Amazing how much they drop in that 10 hour ride.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:00 pm

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 2754593247 That's all it takes for them to bring over $800 take home. Probably won't see that much anywhere else in the country.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:25 pm

What I am working to do is sell straight off the ranch. Weigh truck before,weigh truck loaded. Get handed a check.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Return to “Cattle Sales”