Paris sale barns

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Re: Paris sale barns

Postby Texas PaPaw » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:43 pm

The $5-600 more per gooseneck load and $2500 per pot load is net after hauling is taken out. This is easiest money I have made. Just call trucker and commission co, then load him up on appointed Saturday then the next Wednesday the money is wire transferred to my bank account. Never have to leave my place to do this. Simple enough even old worn out guy like me can do it. I hire all mine hauled as I can't haul them as cheap as can hire it done plus don't want to spend my weekend driving 10 hr roundtrip. Mostly gooseneck loads but occasionally a pot load. Obviously it's quite a bit cheaper per lb if have a potload. Last time I figured it any potload over 32,000 lb, the cost per lb would be cheaper than a gooseneck. There are several guys with bigger goosenecks than mine that will haul for $2.50-3.00/mile.

I understand folks being skeptical about this as I was before I sold a load at okc. Friend in next county told me he sold there and about the less shrink so I decided to try it and by golly he was right. But until a person weighs their calves when the leave their farm and compares this wt to the payweight on their sale summary they are just shooting in the dark when it comes to figuring shrink. Can guarantee you shrink is alive and well at these smaller salebarns as they are not setup to feed and handle calves for minimal shrink as okc is. Also this has to be a joint effort between the seller and salebarn. Not only Jed, birddog and myself but many others from multiple states have similar selling experiences at okc vs locally. Bet there are loads of cattle every week going thru Paris headed to okc. FWIW there are several different commission companies at okc. Western Commission is the one that myself, Jed, birddog and many others use. They do great job handling and marketing our calves. If anyone needs their contact info just pm me.

Something I have learned over last 60+ years is only way to know if something will work or not, in my particular circumstances is to give it a try on a somewhat small scale. Then it's a matter of learning and if necessary adapting to the circumstances. Asking questions and learning all you can from others experiences is just preparatory homework.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." The water is there, just have to have the courage to taste it. Pretty sure if taste it, it you will like it.

Just another 2 cents worth. 'Nuff said
0 x
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:53 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:What I am working to do is sell straight off the ranch. Weigh truck before,weigh truck loaded. Get handed a check.

Pretty easy to find a buyer if you can make 40 to 50 thousand lbs. Roughly 70 calves or so. Should be easy for a big operation like yours.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Texas PaPaw wrote:The $5-600 more per gooseneck load and $2500 per pot load is net after hauling is taken out. This is easiest money I have made. Just call trucker and commission co, then load him up on appointed Saturday then the next Wednesday the money is wire transferred to my bank account. Never have to leave my place to do this. Simple enough even old worn out guy like me can do it. I hire all mine hauled as I can't haul them as cheap as can hire it done plus don't want to spend my weekend driving 10 hr roundtrip. Mostly gooseneck loads but occasionally a pot load. Obviously it's quite a bit cheaper per lb if have a potload. Last time I figured it any potload over 32,000 lb, the cost per lb would be cheaper than a gooseneck. There are several guys with bigger goosenecks than mine that will haul for $2.50-3.00/mile.

I understand folks being skeptical about this as I was before I sold a load at okc. Friend in next county told me he sold there and about the less shrink so I decided to try it and by golly he was right. But until a person weighs their calves when the leave their farm and compares this wt to the payweight on their sale summary they are just shooting in the dark when it comes to figuring shrink. Can guarantee you shrink is alive and well at these smaller salebarns as they are not setup to feed and handle calves for minimal shrink as okc is. Also this has to be a joint effort between the seller and salebarn. Not only Jed, birddog and myself but many others from multiple states have similar selling experiences at okc vs locally. Bet there are loads of cattle every week going thru Paris headed to okc. FWIW there are several different commission companies at okc. Western Commission is the one that myself, Jed, birddog and many others use. They do great job handling and marketing our calves. If anyone needs their contact info just pm me.

Something I have learned over last 60+ years is only way to know if something will work or not, in my particular circumstances is to give it a try on a somewhat small scale. Then it's a matter of learning and if necessary adapting to the circumstances. Asking questions and learning all you can from others experiences is just preparatory homework.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." The water is there, just have to have the courage to taste it. Pretty sure if taste it, it you will like it.

Likewise, i took a gooseneck load of calves there on a Saturday avg wt 606, sold Monday weighed 609.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:18 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:What I am working to do is sell straight off the ranch. Weigh truck before,weigh truck loaded. Get handed a check.

That is pretty easy. Just contact Superior Livestock and put them on the video. Lots of buyers from all country to bid on them. The commission is 2%. There is a pencil shrink but if you handle the calves easy getting on to the truck the majority of that shrink will be on the floor of the truck and get weighed along with the calves. I know that when I check their prices and compare them to any sale barn in this area, they beat the socks off the sale barns.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:21 pm

Texas PaPaw wrote:The $5-600 more per gooseneck load and $2500 per pot load is net after hauling is taken out. This is easiest money I have made. Just call trucker and commission co, then load him up on appointed Saturday then the next Wednesday the money is wire transferred to my bank account. Never have to leave my place to do this. Simple enough even old worn out guy like me can do it. I hire all mine hauled as I can't haul them as cheap as can hire it done plus don't want to spend my weekend driving 10 hr roundtrip. Mostly gooseneck loads but occasionally a pot load. Obviously it's quite a bit cheaper per lb if have a potload. Last time I figured it any potload over 32,000 lb, the cost per lb would be cheaper than a gooseneck. There are several guys with bigger goosenecks than mine that will haul for $2.50-3.00/mile.

What's a commission company?
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Craig Miller wrote:

You don't sell through the stockyard. You sell through one of five commission company's.
They receive, sort and care for your calves. They write the check to you.
They all have the same charge.
It's strange I know but it works well.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:41 pm

jedstivers wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:

You don't sell through the stockyard. You sell through one of five commission company's.

Is it for big sellers or anybody? Is it something you could do from any area?
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Craig Miller wrote:Is it for big sellers or anybody? Is it something you could do from any area?

I could put you in touch with two buyers out of Kansas that buy a lot here in Alabama.
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:03 pm

They actually have 8 commission companies. The yard (national Stockyards) as well as Western Commission have websites that will help out. Ben with Western is a good guy and will help you out if you have questions. TX PaPaw got me interested in going up there and I took the first load myself and hung around a couple days to meet and talk to the people. Its a good experience. They sale in lots with a 3 head minimum but some lots are very large. I stayed in June to watch my calves sale and one of the lots was 295 large steers coming off wheat. A big paycheck for someone. The first time I was there they sold 10500. In June the run was 5500. The man that unloaded me yesterday said they should only run about 4000 this week with all the rain.

Commission companies have been around for a long time, the market has just gotten away from that style of selling. My dad worked for a commission company back in the 50's when they sold cattle in Ft. Worth. Dad said back then they didn't use a sell ring. All the buyers and the auctioneer walked through the pens and the commission company described them as they went.
If there was a sales outlet in central Texas that sold in the OKC style, there would be a lot less of the these local sale barns.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Ok here's the good thing about these boards. You and even someone not posting at all, just reading, can learn something valuable.
I don't mean this a a put down or a insult but with what you have said in this thread you don't know enough to be selling off the ranch. Listen to what the others have said.
Get your calves off mama, get their shots and nuts off if they have them, lute the heifers, save the lot numbers of the vaccine, you'll need them later.
Keep a minimum of 60 days and 120 will make you more money, feed a good feed and get the weight on them and don't worry about fleshy, they will discount if they aren't. Decide which company you want to use, load up Saturday morning and ship. Send the paper with the vaccines they have had.
Try to send 8 and 9wt calves. They go right to the feedlot.
If you can be there Monday for the sale. They like to meet who they are working for and you'll be setting in the stands with the guys bidding on your cattle. You can answer questions.
Also if they have a healed brand they bring more. They know you had them at least 120 days.
I haven't been branding and didn't know that but I do so I'm going to start.
The reason your calves will gain back the shrink is because of the way they are handled and the feed they have. It's a feed that even a calf that's never had feed will go right to.
The last 4 pots that went in April lost 1 pound per calf. I feel that's pretty dang good. I'm a 7 hour ride.
I shipped a pot two weeks ago but my scales are out so I couldn't weigh them. Those calves were bought in April and made 10% on my money after expenses.
There's a lot of knowlage on these boards. Use it, don't shrug it off as someone not knowing what they are talking about.
1 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Craig Miller wrote:
jedstivers wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:

Is it for big sellers or anybody? Is it something you could do from any area?

It's for anybody. If you send a animal there a commission co has to handle it.
Don't know why I was thinking 5 company's, that was in my head. I've only used western and that's all I plan to use but the others are supposed to be good too. I just knew several people using western and not a complaint about them.
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi Jed, I met some nice folks from Arkansas when I was there in June. It was their first time. They used National for the commission company. They had a fine set of big Brangus calves. They shared a pot load with a neighbor, Don't recall their names.
They had the same complaint I hear when I'm up there. Their local sale barn charges to much. They don't get paid for their better healthier weaned calves, The buyers only want 400lb calves. When the group is sold as individual animals one or two always get picked over for a minor flaw or some white spots. The man was a worrier and fretted over his calves like a mom on the first day of school with her child. The lady told me their neighbors though they were idiots for hauling their calves 300 miles. They were very pleased when they left.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:12 pm

jedstivers wrote:

Ok here's the good thing about these boards. You and even someone not posting at all, just reading, can learn something valuable.
I don't mean this a a put down or a insult but with what you have said in this thread you don't know enough to be selling off the ranch. Listen to what the others have said.
Get your calves off mama, get their shots and nuts off if they have them, lute the heifers, save the lot numbers of the vaccine, you'll need them later.
Keep a minimum of 60 days and 120 will make you more money, feed a good feed and get the weight on them and don't worry about fleshy, they will discount if they aren't. Decide which company you want to use, load up Saturday morning and ship. Send the paper with the vaccines they have had.
Try to send 8 and 9wt calves. They go right to the feedlot.
If you can be there Monday for the sale. They like to meet who they are working for and you'll be setting in the stands with the guys bidding on your cattle. You can answer questions.
Also if they have a healed brand they bring more. They know you had them at least 120 days.
I haven't been branding and didn't know that but I do so I'm going to start.
The reason your calves will gain back the shrink is because of the way they are handled and the feed they have. It's a feed that even a calf that's never had feed will go right to.
The last 4 pots that went in April lost 1 pound per calf. I feel that's pretty dang good. I'm a 7 hour ride.
I shipped a pot two weeks ago but my scales are out so I couldn't weigh them. Those calves were bought in April and made 10% on my money after expenses.
There's a lot of knowlage on these boards. Use it, don't shrug it off as someone not knowing what they are talking about.

Strong words from a professional right there.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:27 pm

My daughter sold off her place a couple years back. A math error kind of spooked us from doing it again. But everything worked out and I think that's probably the route we'll go. Just set up a buyer and sell right off the ranch makes the most sense. How could anyone argue with that?
The theory of the % of weight gained back in a couple days spent at the OKC yards, would go for any sale barn around. Just take the a few days ahead..No long haul, just drop them off Thursday for a Sat. sale...Cut off over 5 hours spent in the trailer before getting to OKC, you'd be better off right? Might even gain some weight if the calculations yall are saying are right. I'm guessing the calves don't just gain better because they are in OKC...
ANd to answer why 1500 would not be enough for us to haul a load to OKC is because if anything goes wrong, you're no better off than if you just went to one close by. For us it would be over 10 hours on the road....a flat, wreck, dead calf...anything can happen. 1500 goes pretty fast in a minor disaster and you're back in the same boat you would have been except all that driving...Now, if I was told that if we hauled to Sulphur Springs instead of Paris and we'd gain 1500....i'd be on that like white on rice....
I'm sure not telling anyone they don't know what they are talking about. I look at everything from every angle. Not one thing works for everyone. Whatever works for you, do it and be proud..... Most ranchers out where we are sell at the sale barn. I'm pretty sure that if that was not the most logical way to sell out here, it would be done some other way. But I see a lot of wasted cash there at all sale barns, with commissions to crap buyers on some days. As I said, I want to cut out as many middle men as I can...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:29 pm

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”