Page 2 of 2

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:57 pm
by skyhightree1
Stocker Steve wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I need to close this thread now cause the heifer prices yall are speaking of are too rich for my blood I can't even afford to look at them.


Heard an Ag TV talking head say something useful :o recently - - "have to quit buying overpriced heifers, and hope calf prices go up, so they are profitable".


Guy I know that bought those 2700-3100 heifers when prices were high that last year before prices tanked said it will take 12 calves to get their $$ back to each their own but I can't afford to tie up that much in something unproven.

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:04 pm
by Stocker Steve
I only buy as many bred heifers as .5 x number of my freezer beef orders.

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:33 am
by kilroy60
I hope those prices are there in January. I've got 15 that will be sold. Would love to get the $2K per head.

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:35 am
by Stocker Steve
Will U$S 2,000 bred heifers make money for the buyer?

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:32 am
by 1982vett
Stocker Steve wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I need to close this thread now cause the heifer prices yall are speaking of are too rich for my blood I can't even afford to look at them.


Heard an Ag TV talking head say something useful :o recently - - "have to quit buying overpriced heifers, and hope calf prices go up, so they are profitable".

:2cents: yup

Talk AI and embryo, your a generation or two away from my interest.

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:16 am
by Brute 23
Stocker Steve wrote:Will U$S 2,000 bred heifers make money for the buyer?


Maybe, depending on what they are and the operation the buyer is running.

I was more concerned with the OP selling them that cheap. We sell heifers 60-90 days past weaning for $1000-1200 fairly easily. Usually little to no advertising involved. They mainly get grass and a little sweet feed to settle them in. I don't see how you can buy heifers, raise the to breeding age, AI them, hold them thru another winter and sell them for $1500-2000.

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:00 pm
by Dueyb
All situations are different but we run lean and have a good margin in them at $1800.

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:01 pm
by Stocker Steve
Brute 23 wrote:We sell heifers 60-90 days past weaning for $1000-1200 fairly easily. Usually little to no advertising involved. They mainly get grass and a little sweet feed to settle them in. I don't see how you can buy heifers, raise the to breeding age, AI them, hold them thru another winter and sell them for $1500-2000.


Sounds like all the profit is in seed stock, not development.

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:09 pm
by Stocker Steve
skyhightree1 wrote:Guy I know that bought those 2700-3100 heifers when prices were high that last year before prices tanked said it will take 12 calves to get their $$ back to each their own but I can't afford to tie up that much in something unproven.


Hope they were brimmer crosses, so they can deliver 20+ calves each to pay off the note by 2035. :cowboy:

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:12 pm
by Stocker Steve
Dueyb wrote:All situations are different but we run lean and have a good margin in them at $1800.


2x with home raised.

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:18 pm
by skyhightree1
Stocker Steve wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Guy I know that bought those 2700-3100 heifers when prices were high that last year before prices tanked said it will take 12 calves to get their $$ back to each their own but I can't afford to tie up that much in something unproven.


Hope they were brimmer crosses, so they can deliver 20+ calves each to pay off the note by 2035. :cowboy:


I sat on my hands at that sale so there was no mistaken that I wasn't bidding on those high priced walking pieces of gold :lol:

Re: Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:40 pm
by Brute 23
Stocker Steve wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:We sell heifers 60-90 days past weaning for $1000-1200 fairly easily. Usually little to no advertising involved. They mainly get grass and a little sweet feed to settle them in. I don't see how you can buy heifers, raise the to breeding age, AI them, hold them thru another winter and sell them for $1500-2000.


Sounds like all the profit is in seed stock, not development.


We don't go after papers and stuff but I try to buy quality animals. Most of our stuff is cross bred with Brahman influence. Just good, hardy, ranching cattle.

I don't sell any thing that I wouldn't keep and I don't sell any thing for more than what they can earn the buyer.