Excessive Vet Charges At Sale Barn?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
TexFarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Excessive Vet Charges At Sale Barn?

Postby TexFarmer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:09 am

I took 3 donkeys to the sale barn this past weekend and they averaged around $200 a head. On the payment stub it shows a $90 charge for vet services. That seems like a lot especially since there's no description of what vet services were performed and they were healthy animals when I dropped them off. This is the first time that I've sold any donkeys at the sale barn so I'm unsure if these are standard costs associated with selling donkeys?
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: Excessive Vet Charges At Sale Barn?

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:10 am

Coggins tests. It's $40-50 per head here.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:13 am

RanchMan90 wrote:Coggins tests. It's $40-50 per head here.

Here is the range of cost:

The cost of a Coggins test of course can vary but we have seen them in the range of $20 on the low side to $100 on the high side depending on how much work the vet has to do, the location of the horse and distance to the lab.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 am

You got 600 bucks for 3 donkeys??? I'm gonna round up everyone I can find here and haul them to your barn. Last one i saw sell here brought $2.50
0 x

TexFarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby TexFarmer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:43 am

Craig Miller wrote:You got 600 bucks for 3 donkeys??? I'm gonna round up everyone I can find here and haul them to your barn. Last one i saw sell here brought $2.50

$645 in gross sales. I was surprised myself, figured I might get $50 a head. You guys are right about the Coggins test. It says "Coggins" right on the slip but I missed that.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 am

Are they eating donkey somewhere?
It is cheaper here to shoot one than pay for the Coggins.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqGq_oyMPig

Dropped wire off at his neighbors house last night, and the neighbor tells me that he just paid $200 for a donkey.....but she's bred. I can't decide it it's inflation, a strong donkey market, or if it's still a hundred bucks per donkey? The neighbor is a vet, so maybe he gets a deal to keep the donkey overhead down?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:11 am

I got an old Jenny that I know is pushing 40 cause I have had her that long. She still has a full set of teeth.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:15 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Are they eating donkey somewhere?
It is cheaper here to shoot one than pay for the Coggins.

hahahhaha :lol2:
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:16 am

Not sure what the charge for Coggins is around here, but ain't seen donkeys bring that a stockyards. The exception was at a Santa Gertrudis sale. where a donkey was donated to sell to raise money for their junior association. I think ever SG breeder in the building must have put in on it, can't remember what it brought exactly but $600 seems to me what it was. Then when they sold it back, to actually sell it may have brought around $100.

As far as selling horses at the stockyards, I heard somebody say a while back that one stockyards was charging something $50 dollars up front to sell them so they would at least get their commission. I reckon that's true, as I believe who told me, just not sure about some of his potential sources.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:58 am

Ky hills wrote:

As far as selling horses at the stockyards, I heard somebody say a while back that one stockyards was charging something $50 dollars up front to sell them so they would at least get their commission. I reckon that's true, as I believe who told me, just not sure about some of his potential sources.

I saw one go through with no bidders. Seller said he'd give the saddle to whoever bought the horse. Somebody stood and said i'll give you 200 for the saddle. The seller said I'll sell it to you if you'll take the horse for free. The guy said no thanks.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:35 am

Craig Miller wrote:
Ky hills wrote:

I saw one go through with no bidders. Seller said he'd give the saddle to whoever bought the horse. Somebody stood and said i'll give you 200 for the saddle. The seller said I'll sell it to you if you'll take the horse for free. The guy said no thanks.

I don't know where it happened or if it even did, but I have heard some folks say that if you go to a horse sale, you might come out of the sale to find a horse tied to your trailer. There have also evidently been some instances of folks letting horses loose on some of the abandoned strip mines in east KY.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:47 am

Caustic Burno wrote:I got an old Jenny that I know is pushing 40 cause I have had her that long. She still has a full set of teeth.

We've got a old Jenny that was bought when I was 9. Which makes her 40+
I've told the story before. But my grandmother loved that donkey and made me promise to let her live out her life here..so she will.
God's truth...I walked in the kitchen one day and that donkey was looking in the window. I went outside and all the yard gates were closed. I didn't think to much of it .stuff happens .until a few hours later when mom called and told me grandma had passed.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:33 pm

Hmm. Lab where I work runs Coggins all day long for $6.75.
Vet charges associated with collection of sample and getting it to the lab would be above that.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Hmm. Lab where I work runs Coggins all day long for $6.75.
Vet charges associated with collection of sample and getting it to the lab would be above that.

Vets charge 40 to 50 bucks here for Coggins.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Return to “Cattle Sales”