New low

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: New low

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:00 am

Craig Miller wrote:I haven't been to the sale all year but wow at the prices y'all are putting up. I'd be highly disappointed if I got that for a calf. That will make a small timer want to quit.

Exactly...why I posted this thread.. According to others I've talked to, do not sell anything odd at the auction sales because they are not bringing anything.
We took some of the biggest calves to the sale yesterday and they did pretty good. Looks like we'll have several wean out at 800... Talked to a pot load buyer. We are going out this morning to see if we can get him a 50,000 load of 4 and 5s color doesn't matter..... I don't know if we could do it all black since we used black Herefords in one herd, we got some reds in that herd....SInce our calves are born in a span of 3 months, even though we have a lot of calves, half are heifers and some are 6 mo and some are 9.....makes it tough.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:50 pm

[/quote]
Exactly...why I posted this thread.. According to others I've talked to, do not sell anything odd at the auction sales because they are not bringing anything. .[/quote]
I sold an ''odd'' one this week that I thought he did well (see the broken jaw thread) maybe it has to do with where you are taking them. Some of these little hole in the wall sales do not have buyers with the right market for anything odd or not black. They also get this game going one for you one for me, you don't bid against me and I wont bid against you.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:17 am

If it was a sale barn with over 200 head at it there were a couple traders that would have bought your calf if they thought it would be profitable. They would run each other a ways at that price. Any calf that brings .30 with nothing wrong with him would be extremely profitable for somebody, and nobody is leaving a dollar a pound on the table. He had to have had something significantly wrong with him to be worth .30 as kill calves are worth in the .60s right now. Nobody is selling nice 400 lb steers for .30 right now.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:18 am

Ojp6 wrote:If it was a sale barn with over 200 head at it there were a couple traders that would have bought your calf if they thought it would be profitable. They would run each other a ways at that price. Any calf that brings .30 with nothing wrong with him would be extremely profitable for somebody, and nobody is leaving a dollar a pound on the table. He had to have had something significantly wrong with him to be worth .30 as kill calves are worth in the .60s right now. Nobody is selling nice 400 lb steers for .30 right now.

That's why we protested... I think it was an error but, whats done is done...water under the bridge as they say. He was a calm calf, maybe when he moved in the arena his hump got bigger, maybe he was hurt and limped and had a hump....but, I think it was an error and was blamed on the quality of the calf....
We are expecting a call from a guy today to buy off our ranch.. Might be time to pull out the scales again...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:07 am

cowgirl8 wrote:That's why we protested... I think it was an error but, whats done is done...water under the bridge as they say. He was a calm calf, maybe when he moved in the arena his hump got bigger, maybe he was hurt and limped and had a hump....but, I think it was an error and was blamed on the quality of the calf....
We are expecting a call from a guy today to buy off our ranch.. Might be time to pull out the scales again...

I see a lot of sales that run a recorder, some a video and some just a sound recorder, it might be worth asking them if they run one. They don't always tell people that it is being recorded, when it is but it sure is good for times like this. Just and idea I had and thought it might be worth looking in to.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:38 am

I'll assume they did and said he had a hump in his back.. He did have a hump, but not sure why that's dockable though to that extent.. He said several calves went through and brought less for less defect... like that would make us feel better....lol
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:23 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:I'll assume they did and said he had a hump in his back.. He did have a hump, but not sure why that's dockable though to that extent.. He said several calves went through and brought less for less defect... like that would make us feel better....lol
they look at how they will perform on the feedlot.or in the future..a roachback is considered a defect no matter how we look at it... It effects their ability to travel.. And they will turn up lame at times..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:46 pm

I'd think they'd produce more steaks...lol.....
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:27 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:Its our living, but obviously the only one in this forum doing it for a living......

Do your fingers move faster than your brain? I can think of several folks on here that do it for a living.
1 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:28 pm

BRYANT wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:That's why we protested... I think it was an error but, whats done is done...water under the bridge as they say. He was a calm calf, maybe when he moved in the arena his hump got bigger, maybe he was hurt and limped and had a hump....but, I think it was an error and was blamed on the quality of the calf....

I see a lot of sales that run a recorder, some a video and some just a sound recorder, it might be worth asking them if they run one. They don't always tell people that it is being recorded, when it is but it sure is good for times like this. Just and idea I had and thought it might be worth looking in to.

What's the point? The gavel fell, and the check's probably been cashed. It's not like they're going to make the buyer pay more money.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
BRYANT wrote:

What's the point? The gavel fell, and the check's probably been cashed. It's not like they're going to make the buyer pay more money.

the point is she said back several post she thought it may have been an error that he may have brought 1.30 and they put down .30 IF that was what happened then yes they do owe her 1.00 per pound and they would have to pay it.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Its our living, but obviously the only one in this forum doing it for a living......

Do your fingers move faster than your brain? I can think of several folks on here that do it for a living.

Not many do for a living....
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=110644
0 x

Silver
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Silver » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:54 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:

Everyone in my valley does it for a living.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:40 am

Silver wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:

Everyone in my valley does it for a living.

Its an old argument...Most of the posters here who post a lot, do not do it for a living..
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:25 am

...and if we don't depend on our cattle to make a living we obviously don't know as much about them as someone that does, even if the ones we do have have been making money for us for 40 years. Yes, it's an old argument.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Cattle Sales”