Undervalued cattle

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Undervalued cattle

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:40 am

What class of cattle do you think is most undervalued that you could best add value to?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Undervalued cattle

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:32 pm

800 lb holstein steers sold yesterday for 70 - 72 cents put 'em in feedlot 7 months and sell 'as fats for 84-86 cents.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Culls from North Texas. See http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=111960.

(I just couldn't help myself.)
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Dad's been buying bawling calves around the 300lb mark. He weans, two rounds of shots, and then feeds them until 500lbs or so. He shops for the bargains but not total junk. Bulls, steers, and or heifers. He wants to have around $450 or less in the calf. Lately he's been buying them at enough of a discount that he can sell them for the same price/lb at the heavier weight if not more once he straightens them out. He's small time and only moves around 60-80 a year.
0 x
J & D Cattle

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:27 pm

J&D Cattle wrote:Dad's been buying bawling calves around the 300lb mark. He weans, two rounds of shots, and then feeds them until 500lbs or so. He shops for the bargains but not total junk. Bulls, steers, and or heifers. He wants to have around $450 or less in the calf. Lately he's been buying them at enough of a discount that he can sell them for the same price/lb at the heavier weight if not more once he straightens them out. He's small time and only moves around 60-80 a year.

My dad does the exact same thing.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:54 pm

I watched some March calving bred heifers sell for $825 last week. They were bred AI to calving ease bull. I think a person could winter then, calf them out, and sell as pairs in the spring and do well.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:18 am

I'm too far North, but you boys in Texas should look into raising rhinoceros, they are herbivores.
It was reported yesterday that endangered White Rhinos are being poached daily because their horn sells for 300k
A stout chute and sharp saw for dehorning on arrival and you could still run 'em as a cow/calf operation.
As for penning them in a pasture, check with Fence.
:tiphat:
1 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:59 am

RanchMan90 wrote:What class of cattle do you think is most undervalued that you could best add value to?

Mine. :lol2:
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:40 am

300 to 400 lb, 1 1/2 heifers as compared to their steer mates.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:20 am

Big bred cow sale here yesterday. I don't know how many head but they sold cows for 3 hours. Mostly in groups of 4 to 8 but as many as 30 in a pen. The vast majority were Feb to April calvers. A lot of mid age cows went to slaughter. I think calving them out and selling as pairs in the spring would make money. I like buying bred cows for one bid over the kill buyers. The top end was a pen of about 12 red angus 4 year olds. They brought $1,500.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:25 am

Dave wrote:Big bred cow sale here yesterday. I don't know how many head but they sold cows for 3 hours. Mostly in groups of 4 to 8 but as many as 30 in a pen. The vast majority were Feb to April calvers. A lot of mid age cows went to slaughter. I think calving them out and selling as pairs in the spring would make money. I like buying bred cows for one bid over the kill buyers. The top end was a pen of about 12 red angus 4 year olds. They brought $1,500.

Wow. I sold a 4-year old Brangus cow at Mid-Tex last week in the regular sale and she brought $1450.00. (She was a nice cow, but she'd suck any other cow that would hold still for her.)
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Rafter S wrote:
Dave wrote:Big bred cow sale here yesterday. I don't know how many head but they sold cows for 3 hours. Mostly in groups of 4 to 8 but as many as 30 in a pen. The vast majority were Feb to April calvers. A lot of mid age cows went to slaughter. I think calving them out and selling as pairs in the spring would make money. I like buying bred cows for one bid over the kill buyers. The top end was a pen of about 12 red angus 4 year olds. They brought $1,500.

Wow. I sold a 4-year old Brangus cow at Mid-Tex last week in the regular sale and she brought $1450.00. (She was a nice cow, but she'd suck any other cow that would hold still for her.)

The USDA market report today listed the top cows as 3 year olds that brought $2,100-1,800. They had to have sold before I got there. What I watched a person could have easily bought over 100 head of decent average cows for less than a $1,000 average.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Son of Butch wrote:I'm too far North, but you boys in Texas should look into raising rhinoceros, they are herbivores.
It was reported yesterday that endangered White Rhinos are being poached daily because their horn sells for 300k
A stout chute and sharp saw for dehorning on arrival and you could still run 'em as a cow/calf operation.
As for penning them in a pasture, check with Fence.
:tiphat:

I bid on the rhino pens at the waco zoo.
No joke..
Apparently there's someone will do it cheaper than me...
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Return to “Cattle Sales”