Fall Feeder Sales ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Fall Feeder Sales ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:25 am

Numbers seem to be down here. Are you seeing producers hold calves due to the stronger market this fall?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Fall Feeder Sales ?

Postby Aaron » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:38 am

Everything is hot here. Lots of guys dumping calves with big grins. I'll roll the dice and keep them I guess. 1000 lb + yearlings were selling for more dollars than fats in some markets - doesn't make sense, but sure won't argue with the guy signing the check.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:57 am

It is nice to not have a fall price collapse like the past two years. Folks should be pleased, except perhaps for the drought out central plains area where they had to wean early.

I have a nervous neighbor who sold his calves in mid September. I selected six to be picked up after weaning. He recently sent me an e mail saying he "sold too soon" and the deal is off. WTF...
0 x
Stocker Steve

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:23 am

Stocker Steve wrote:It is nice to not have a fall price collapse like the past two years. Folks should be pleased, except perhaps for the drought out central plains area where they had to wean early.

I have a nervous neighbor who sold his calves in mid September. I selected six to be picked up after weaning. He recently sent me an e mail saying he "sold too soon" and the deal is off. WTF...

Play the game again next year only turn the table on him on purpose.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:51 am

Big runs here at the local barn. I'm holding mine until their pre-vac sale the first of December unless the market shifts sharply.
0 x
J & D Cattle

tja477t
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tja477t » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:40 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:It is nice to not have a fall price collapse like the past two years. Folks should be pleased, except perhaps for the drought out central plains area where they had to wean early.

sounds like a standup kind of guy. he was even nice enough to tell you in an email and not in person.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:15 pm

tja477t wrote:Sounds like a standup kind of guy. He was even nice enough to tell you in an email and not in person.

I replied by asking him to call me. Never happened... So I need to stop over and see what creative BS he spins.

I realize he sold early thinking the market would collapse again this fall, but I can't understand how screwing a neighbor out of a couple hundred bucks is a winning formula.
0 x
Stocker Steve

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
tja477t wrote:Sounds like a standup kind of guy. He was even nice enough to tell you in an email and not in person.

I realize he sold early thinking the market would collapse again this fall, but I can't understand how screwing a neighbor out of a couple hundred bucks is a winning formula.

That's exactly how I would relate it to him.
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:05 am

SS, I would like to learn all my lessons as cheap as you did that one.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:04 am

Sounds like a guy I wouldn't do business with anymore
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”