Fall Feeder Sales ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Fall Feeder Sales ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:25 am

Numbers seem to be down here. Are you seeing producers hold calves due to the stronger market this fall?
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Fall Feeder Sales ?

Postby Aaron » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:38 am

Everything is hot here. Lots of guys dumping calves with big grins. I'll roll the dice and keep them I guess. 1000 lb + yearlings were selling for more dollars than fats in some markets - doesn't make sense, but sure won't argue with the guy signing the check.
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:57 am

It is nice to not have a fall price collapse like the past two years. Folks should be pleased, except perhaps for the drought out central plains area where they had to wean early.

I have a nervous neighbor who sold his calves in mid September. I selected six to be picked up after weaning. He recently sent me an e mail saying he "sold too soon" and the deal is off. WTF...
Stocker Steve

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:23 am

Stocker Steve wrote:It is nice to not have a fall price collapse like the past two years. Folks should be pleased, except perhaps for the drought out central plains area where they had to wean early.

I have a nervous neighbor who sold his calves in mid September. I selected six to be picked up after weaning. He recently sent me an e mail saying he "sold too soon" and the deal is off. WTF...

Play the game again next year only turn the table on him on purpose.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:51 am

Big runs here at the local barn. I'm holding mine until their pre-vac sale the first of December unless the market shifts sharply.
J & D Cattle

tja477t
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tja477t » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:40 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:It is nice to not have a fall price collapse like the past two years. Folks should be pleased, except perhaps for the drought out central plains area where they had to wean early.

sounds like a standup kind of guy. he was even nice enough to tell you in an email and not in person.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:15 pm

tja477t wrote:Sounds like a standup kind of guy. He was even nice enough to tell you in an email and not in person.

I replied by asking him to call me. Never happened... So I need to stop over and see what creative BS he spins.

I realize he sold early thinking the market would collapse again this fall, but I can't understand how screwing a neighbor out of a couple hundred bucks is a winning formula.
Stocker Steve

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
tja477t wrote:Sounds like a standup kind of guy. He was even nice enough to tell you in an email and not in person.

I realize he sold early thinking the market would collapse again this fall, but I can't understand how screwing a neighbor out of a couple hundred bucks is a winning formula.

That's exactly how I would relate it to him.
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:05 am

SS, I would like to learn all my lessons as cheap as you did that one.
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:04 am

Sounds like a guy I wouldn't do business with anymore