Selling a stag

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: Selling a stag

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:43 pm

A razor knife and a couple minutes in the chute would have paid pretty good. I know a lot of people are comfortable doing it but it is not that difficult. If I can do it ..... well it is not rocket surgery.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Dave wrote:A razor knife and a couple minutes in the chute would have paid pretty good. I know a lot of people are comfortable doing it but it is not that difficult. If I can do it ..... well it is not rocket surgery.

Only reason we didn't is because of weaning at the same time but my crew does it all the time so I didn't consider the additional expenses of a vet. But I wouldn't be comfortable doing it myself!
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:23 am

BrandX wrote:I would like to remind you that not everyone at the sale barn is an old hand. sale barns do attract the new beginners also. I think that if they get a raw deal a few times or feel deceived than they may quit or worse share their stories of misfortune and mistreatment with others.

anything and everything goes through a sale barn, that's not the place for someone to go to learn cattle.
I would not say he is a steer and I would not say he is a bull he would sale ''as is & where is''. any buyer buying from a regular sale knows they are buying sale barn cattle. Special sales and from home that is different they are suppose to bring more and be better and I would not sell him like that without telling
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:33 am

TCRanch wrote:Ethical question: Discovered a steer is actually a stag during weaning. It's not visible but you can definitely feel the nut. Elected not to perform surgery to castrate because of the concern of too much stress coupled with weaning.

I always provide all health information to the Sale Barn prior to taking any of my cattle in but a lot of locals have told me to just take him in, don't point it out, buyers will automatically either know or suspect because he looks a little bullish. Maybe it's just me but that doesn't seem right.

For those of you that buy from Sale Barns, would you know &/or think it should be disclosed? Or do you agree with caveat emptor?

Lesson learned... don't question what you don't want answers to. Hands off after you cut them so you have deniability. :D
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Cattle Sales”