Best of the best.

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3941
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Best of the best.

Postby Aaron » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:35 pm

Neighbor took his calves to town and received the acclamation of highest priced group of 6-weight steers in all of Canada for this week. Heartland Livestock Auction in Swift Current, SK had claimed it for this week, up until today


616 lbs avg Steers pre vac $2.5275 (works out to $1220 US per head)

Image
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3135
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Best of the best.

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:05 am

Those fellows in the front row seem too intent on feeding their faces than buying cattle.

That is probably a tad higher than what we are getting at the moment but they are on the improve especially if the season continues to improve.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Nesikep » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:17 am

Even with some roan on their backs!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3941
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Aaron » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:31 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Those fellows in the front row seem too intent on feeding their faces than buying cattle.
Ken


A fed buyer is a happy buyer. Wind was blowing hard with snow so temp in the ring area was just above freezing. Heaters couldn't keep up.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7224
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Nesikep wrote:Even with some roan on their backs!


They weren't black?
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11036
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:32 pm

High side of the market here, would have made those calves about $880. Redneck calves like those, wouldn't have hit that mark. Nice pen of calves though.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4971
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Kingfisher » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:43 pm

What sort of feed were they on or just momma and grass?
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3941
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:37 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Nesikep wrote:Even with some roan on their backs!


They weren't black?


Black cattle are getting rare in this area, I was talking to a few guys about it and they noticed it too. Almost more Herefords than Blacks. Far more Charolais cross than anything. If you ask a lot of guys why, it's because they don't like black cows and don't want black in their herd.

Walking through the sales pens, for every 5 calves here, 2 are Char cross, 1 is Hereford, 1 is Simm cross, and 1 is Red or Black Angus. It's like the 80's all over again - even Shorthorns are slowly coming back.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3941
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 am

Kingfisher wrote:What sort of feed were they on or just momma and grass?


Just momma and grass. They are April-May born calves. Simmental Red Angus cross.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Nesikep » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:10 am

Aaron wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
Nesikep wrote:Even with some roan on their backs!


They weren't black?


Black cattle are getting rare in this area, I was talking to a few guys about it and they noticed it too. Almost more Herefords than Blacks. Far more Charolais cross than anything. If you ask a lot of guys why, it's because they don't like black cows and don't want black in their herd.

Walking through the sales pens, for every 5 calves here, 2 are Char cross, 1 is Hereford, 1 is Simm cross, and 1 is Red or Black Angus. It's like the 80's all over again - even Shorthorns are slowly coming back.

I might have to move out that way to be with like-minded folk.. buyers especially.
2 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

User avatar
Silver
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Silver » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 am

Nesikep wrote:I might have to move out that way to be with like-minded folk.. buyers especially.


You don't have to go that far, just the other slope of the mountains.
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Nesikep » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Silver wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I might have to move out that way to be with like-minded folk.. buyers especially.


You don't have to go that far, just the other slope of the mountains.

I'm on the same side of the mountains you are!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

User avatar
Silver
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Silver » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Silver wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I might have to move out that way to be with like-minded folk.. buyers especially.


You don't have to go that far, just the other slope of the mountains.

I'm on the same side of the mountains you are!


No, I'm on the East side, not too far from Alberta really.
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Nesikep » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:37 pm

I'm on the east side of the coast mountains.. not the rockies though.. I thought you were around Williams lake?
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Bestoutwest » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:14 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Those fellows in the front row seem too intent on feeding their faces than buying cattle.Ken


Seems like a dangerous place to eat. All it takes is one good tail whip and there goes your food.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre


Return to “Cattle Sales”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests