Selling directly to San Angelo meat packers

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: Selling directly to San Angelo meat packers

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 pm

A pretty high percentage of the fat cattle sold in this country are sold based on hanging weight. Mostly on a formula basis which is based on grade and yield. When those steers are going through a plant that kills a thousand head a day they must have a pretty good method to track the cattle. I know people who retain ownership on hundreds of head and I have never heard them complain or worry about funny business. These people are good enough businessmen that I am certain they know how the system works and have faith in it.
1 x

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:15 pm

••WARNING••
It’s been 3.5 weeks since I’ve taken a load to Texas packers in Angelo. Still haven’t received a check. I get the run around when i call down there. I’ll show up when the office opens Monday. Here out I’ll go back to lonestar. Sorry for the recommendation
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:51 pm

NolanCountyAG wrote:••WARNING••
It’s been 3.5 weeks since I’ve taken a load to Texas packers in Angelo. Still haven’t received a check. I get the run around when i call down there. I’ll show up when the office opens Monday. Here out I’ll go back to lonestar. Sorry for the recommendation

Bingo and you have no clue what cattle they will pay you for.
0 x

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:47 pm

What they said my check would be for, come out around $845/hd that’s pretty good for old culls. If they can’t get me a check on Monday I’ll see if TSCRA could possibly do something.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:53 pm

NolanCountyAG wrote:What they said my check would be for, come out around $845/hd that’s pretty good for old culls. If they can’t get me a check on Monday I’ll see if TSCRA could possibly do something.

I believe I would see if I could get the Ranger to go with me.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Sure sounds like a civil matter to me and I figure the packer knows it.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
NolanCountyAG wrote:What they said my check would be for, come out around $845/hd that’s pretty good for old culls. If they can’t get me a check on Monday I’ll see if TSCRA could possibly do something.

I believe I would see if I could get the Ranger to go with me.

Im neighbors with the special ranger for this area so I do have that going for me.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:43 am

After BSE up here our cattle are tagged and tracked thru the entire system. Im also on email list for local plant - they send out weekly prices and monthly market recaps.

With cull cows, unless someone is gonna feed it out after you - sending it to an auction they're first gonna take their cut, and then the buyer is gonna make his profit off it (with his bid reflecting that) - he knows what the plant is paying so he's not gonna lose unless its condemned. So best dropping it off at the plant yourself if thats an available option.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:07 pm

That might work with a trailer load or if you were down the road from them.
Most culls here go to Lone Star that’s a 300 mile trip one way. That will never pay in time or money.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:With cull cows, unless someone is gonna feed it out after you - sending it to an auction they're first gonna take their cut, and then the buyer is gonna make his profit off it (with his bid reflecting that) - he knows what the plant is paying so he's not gonna lose unless its condemned. So best dropping it off at the plant yourself if thats an available option.

Do some kill buyers work on a commission basis?
0 x
Stocker Steve

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Got my check today, had to go get it in person. Learned my lesson and lucky to have gotten it.
2 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:56 pm

NolanCountyAG wrote:Got my check today, had to go get it in person. Learned my lesson and lucky to have gotten it.

Please elaborate at your convenience.
With cow prices right now it seems it may be quite lucrative. We can sell a good steer and buy two skinny cows.
To me it looks like the potential profit is much better than calves. Especially if the cows can gain into a higher class.
Which many can. I've also read that cows fed corn the last six weeks or so will gain white in the fat color and can gain all the way to commercial grade at the plant.
But will never grade that at auction.
You did very well on your cattle. Did they try to screw you intentionally
Who will you trade with from here on.

Thanks
Andy
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Supa Dexta wrote:With cull cows, unless someone is gonna feed it out after you - sending it to an auction they're first gonna take their cut, and then the buyer is gonna make his profit off it (with his bid reflecting that) - he knows what the plant is paying so he's not gonna lose unless its condemned. So best dropping it off at the plant yourself if thats an available option.

Do some kill buyers work on a commission basis?

Yes, but seems to be more buying on a rail basis. Packers like it better that way.
0 x

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 pm

callmefence wrote:
NolanCountyAG wrote:Got my check today, had to go get it in person. Learned my lesson and lucky to have gotten it.

Please elaborate at your convenience.
With cow prices right now it seems it may be quite lucrative. We can sell a good steer and buy two skinny cows.
To me it looks like the potential profit is much better than calves. Especially if the cows can gain into a higher class.
Which many can. I've also read that cows fed corn the last six weeks or so will gain white in the fat color and can gain all the way to commercial grade at the plant.
But will never grade that at auction.
You did very well on your cattle. Did they try to screw you intentionally
Who will you trade with from here on.

Thanks
Andy

Rumors are that Texas Packing is going under. They are using current funds to cover payment 3-4 weeks back. I got an extra $800 off of 8 cows taken to them instead of LoneStar. I was told the day I dropped them off that I would get a check in about 2 weeks... I was fine with this to get the 20 cents/# better than LS. I called at 2 weeks and they were mailing a check. Called at 3 weeks they were mailing a check. Called at 3.5 weeks they still hadn't mailed it, told them I'd be there in an hour... Their reply was that the guy that signs checks wouldn't be there until today. So I showed up today and demanded my check along with a neighbors that was for 25 head. Give me some more run around and got both checks printed.

From here on out I'll go back to LoneStar, if I haul cows on a Monday morning I have a check in the mailbox by Wednesday around noon. I see lots of people buying cows at sales and hauling them to the packer so there must be something to be made.
1 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”