Marketing

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Marketing

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:53 am

Steers 718# @ 1.30
Heifers 655# @ 1.23
I took a beating on some lighter heifers but that was my fault for not holding them longer.

They were some of the last to sale that day and feel like they should have done better.

Any marketing strategy on small numbers( less than a potloads) other than direct marketing?
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Re: Marketing

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:55 pm

I always try and sell at a prevac sale and wean for a minimum of 45 days. This year I worked with my local Purina dealer and conducted one of their feed trials. The Purina representative will come to the sale and talk about the calves. He does this quite a bit at a couple of other barns and has developed some good relationships that I hope net me a few more dollars. I also am able to have lunch weekly at the sale and stay for an hour or so. This has allowed the owners and buyers to know me and my cattle.
0 x
J & D Cattle

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Postby Texas PaPaw » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Where did you sell them. Barns I’m familiar with try to sell in the order they are consigned. Even if can’t deliver them until sale day many will pull lower numbered tags and sell them earlier in the sale if you call them a few days before sale day and tell them you’re bringing calves and want them to sell earlier.

If you don’t know barn owner, suggest going by on a non sale day and visit with him. See what he suggests to help your calves sell better. A good relationship with owner should pay off over the years.
0 x
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Combine calves with neighbors or relatives before selling.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Texas PaPaw wrote:Where did you sell them. Barns I’m familiar with try to sell in the order they are consigned. Even if can’t deliver them until sale day many will pull lower numbered tags and sell them earlier in the sale if you call them a few days before sale day and tell them you’re bringing calves and want them to sell earlier.

If you don’t know barn owner, suggest going by on a non sale day and visit with him. See what he suggests to help your calves sell better. A good relationship with owner should pay off over the years.

I'll shoot you a text.
I don't want to run down the barn or the owner.
Somebody has to sell calves at the end of the sale and I guess I was one of them.
Just not enough buyers left at the end.

I need to do a better job making my calves more valuable.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:27 pm

I haven't found that weaning and holding them netted me any results.. did it once.. Between the extra food you feed them, vaccine cost, handling, shrink they take some time to make up, plus any risks on health issues, nah.

I do have a good relationship with my sale barn people, I always go and say hi to the handlers, I text the auctioneer once in a while with updates on my calves, when they'll come to the sale, etc.. My calves usually go through around 1-2PM when there are lots of bums in the seats to bid. I had them go through first and last, and NEVER AGAIN!.. you can lose $10/cwt pretty easily.
If I can, I like talking to the buyers as well, but they're usually busy.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Over here I think it is the drug companies trying to sell there vaccines that are beating up the media hype with preweaning and vaccinations.

Ken
1 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Here we have some CPH-45 sales. The calves have to be weaned a minimum of 45 days, and have 2 rounds of required vaccinations and wormed. The record keeping with all of the details they want is a pain, but I feel it does give a little better market option. The calves are comingled with other consignors calves according to size, color. That way my varied size calves can sell in groups of 20-50 or more, instead of 1 and 2 at a time.
1 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:56 pm

I have found that a $20 bill in the hands of the guy out back who is running them through can move them up in sale order.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Dave wrote:I have found that a $20 bill in the hands of the guy out back who is running them through can move them up in sale order.

I do that at work a lot to get my orders out but never thought about that at the sale barn.
Good idea
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Cross, are they vaccinated, weaned, etc? A lot of Sale Barns will market them for you if you provide all the info prior to the sale. And word of mouth always helps, as does actually hanging out at the Sale Barn; if they know you and know you have good, quality calves they'll treat you right.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 pm

TCRanch wrote:Cross, are they vaccinated, weaned, etc? A lot of Sale Barns will market them for you if you provide all the info prior to the sale. And word of mouth always helps, as does actually hanging out at the Sale Barn; if they know you and know you have good, quality calves they'll treat you right.

Honest truth
Vaccinated for clostridial but nothing for respiratory, unweaned, but the big calves were all eating well and not nursing.
A lot of it was my own fault.
Chose a sale barn for convenience instead of a proven barn.
Especially the light heifers I took a beating on.
I should have brought them back home.

Bigger calves were worth more than I got, should have PO'd them.
They were nice calves, not a single dink in the bunch and I'm sure they sold in OKC Monday for .20 a pound more than I sold for.
I take responsibility for it. My screw up.
As of today I'm working on getting a weaning area.
I've decided to carry them through winter on graze out wheat and sell in the spring.
I may have to get my numbers up although I'm comfortable where I'm at, either that or take my lumps or quit all together.
But I'll dang sure not take a another screwing.

I sat right there and watched 3-4 buyers buy cattle in an empty sale barn.
One chastised another for out bidding him on a set of calves.
Next group he bid and said to the other
" you bought the last set and your want these too "
After that they never bid against one another.
Opening bid bought the cattle.
I sat there and never said a word.

I'm a very calm and cool guy, but I should have called BS and didn't.

My fault
I own it

Edit to add
They don't tag cattle there.
I couldn't figure why they would take a chance on a gate coming open and mixing cattle causing a cluster.
Then I remembered the owner of the barn and the OKC sale on monday.
0 x

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Postby Texas PaPaw » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 pm

If you’re going to setup to wean your calves would suggest setting up for fence line weaning. Have had little sickness with fenceline weaning. Think it will be money well spent.
0 x
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:07 pm

Texas PaPaw wrote:If you’re going to setup to wean your calves would suggest setting up for fence line weaning. Have had little sickness with fenceline weaning. Think it will be money well spent.

That's sort of the plan.
Then putting them on wheat.

I'm not producing enough to really do it right, but really not interested in getting any bigger.
But that may be the only solution, that or quit.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
Texas PaPaw wrote:If you’re going to setup to wean your calves would suggest setting up for fence line weaning. Have had little sickness with fenceline weaning. Think it will be money well spent.

That's sort of the plan.
Then putting them on wheat.

I'm not producing enough to really do it right, but really not interested in getting any bigger.
But that may be the only solution, that or quit.

That's the 2nd time you said this Cross. How big do you have to be? Are you thinking potloads? What is your sweet spot for economy of scale?
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Return to “Cattle Sales”