Sale Barn Prices

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
User avatar
BrangusUSA
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby BrangusUSA » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Went to the Carroll County GA Cattle Sale yesterday. Been hearing horror stories of prices on here and from neighbors. The fact that this sale is the last one for the year may or may not have influenced prices? Previous week sale we had seven inches of snow on the ground (Tallapoosa) so we delayed hauling.

Pleasantly surprised that the bull calves we sold went for $1.62 to $1.65 per pound. Our cull cows ranged from $513 to $925 per head. These cows were old, notch eared, fence jumper, lame, etc. We kept all our heifers. Seemed like most others did also. Most calves sold were bulls or steers. Heifers being sold were mediocre at best. Husband remarked on the fact that there was no apparent difference in price of steers and bull calves.
Cattle we sold were all brangus, of course. We were pleased with check and confirmed that we want more heifers - but not from the sale barn.
0 x

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7598
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Slaughter cow and bulls should be better for a couple days starting Jan 1. Until they get the supply back up.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7704
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:46 am

BrangusUSA wrote:We kept all our heifers. Seemed like most others did also.


Where will all these retained heifers end up?
0 x
Stocker Steve

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4481
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:50 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
BrangusUSA wrote:We kept all our heifers. Seemed like most others did also.


Where will all these retained heifers end up?

Looks like it was a good decision maybe. We kept 60. Not sure how many we'll keep for ourselves, maybe 20... We'll sell in groups privately..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:18 pm
Location: Nolan County TX

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby NolanCountyAG » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Hauled a load of heifers to Woodward last week. They brought just under 1100 per head.
1 x

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby BK9954 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:04 pm

500 lb steers going 1.80-1.85 last Saturday, not bad for right now. I got a few that need to go, save me some hay. Heifers not too shabby either but I have seen better.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:19 pm

NolanCountyAG wrote:Hauled a load of heifers to Woodward last week. They brought just under 1100 per head.

That's a pretty good haul from your area. Better than other marketing options you think?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:22 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:34 pm

they liquidated a good herd today breds were 800-1000 , pairs 1000-1250 . all in good flesh black ones . had to be a real good cow to bring .60 . I bought several heifers with 300-400 lb calves on them , split and sold calves back
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1608
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby ddd75 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:54 am

BobbyLummus1 wrote:they liquidated a good herd today breds were 800-1000 , pairs 1000-1250 . all in good flesh black ones . had to be a real good cow to bring .60 . I bought several heifers with 300-400 lb calves on them , split and sold calves back



wow.. i'm hoping to get 20 - 25 bought around May.. hopefully I can get some nice ones for those prices.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7704
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Sold our May steer calves today. They were 752# at $140/cwt.. Did not get great gains during the -20, and the market has not had a big January bounce, but still satisfied overall.

Bought back some heifers to match up with my culls. Bud would say it was a good trade.

Run was about 3,300 head. Big for this time of year. Not many heifers there, and an out of the area buyer dominated the first part of the sale with an Oklahoma heifer order. Must be a lot of poor wheat down that way?
0 x
Stocker Steve

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:18 pm
Location: Nolan County TX

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby NolanCountyAG » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
NolanCountyAG wrote:Hauled a load of heifers to Woodward last week. They brought just under 1100 per head.

That's a pretty good haul from your area. Better than other marketing options you think?


5 hrs. They brought 175-200 a head more than if I'd have taken them to coleman or san angelo.
0 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: NW OK

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby Allenw » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:28 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Sold our May steer calves today. They were 752# at $140/cwt.. Did not get great gains during the -20, and the market has not had a big January bounce, but still satisfied overall.

Bought back some heifers to match up with my culls. Bud would say it was a good trade.

Run was about 3,300 head. Big for this time of year. Not many heifers there, and an out of the area buyer dominated the first part of the sale with an Oklahoma heifer order. Must be a lot of poor wheat down that way?


What wheat, drought is growing daily here a lot of areas are 90 days with out rain.

What size heifers was the order buyer buying?
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7704
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 am

Heifers over 600 pounds.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: NW OK

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby Allenw » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:34 pm

They must be going to a feed lot.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7704
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Allenw wrote:They must be going to a feed lot.


I suppose.
The heifer order buyer drove prices up to where they were close to steer prices.
0 x
Stocker Steve


Return to “Cattle Sales”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests