Sale Barn Prices

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:46 am

Talking heads were saying that we would be buried under a mountain of meat. What a way to go.

Now the talking heads are saying that more folks will be avoiding those nasty white meats, by using their tax cut money to buy something that tastes good. ;-) Who knows.
0 x
Stocker Steve

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Neighbor just sold all his cows. He is a numbers guy. Said he was breaking even at these prices.

My neighbor sold all 7 of his cows without letting me know awhile back. Kinda pizzed my off, especially since I've sold him good hay for $20 a roll for years. All his cows were out of my bulls and he had 3 that I'd of liked to have had. But I'm sure I'll get asked to go over there and disc and plant all his food plots.

So now that you aren't having to "give away good hay" @ $20 a roll, you need to be charging for the time, fuel, wear and tear on your equipment to go over and disc and plant his food plots.
I am all for "neighborliness" , however there are those "neighbors" that always seem to get the better end of the deal. There is no point in getting mad, just get back your fair share. Not saying to gouge him, but the give away thing has to stop.
I told my son the other day I am tired of being the one that seems to always pay up front but there are always those that have a sob story or something and want you to carry them, loan them, let them pay on time....always something.
No longer are we financing any beef to anyone. We kill and give away beef to several of the ones we rent from. It's a courtesy, and in some cases, part of an agreement. We do work for anyone, it gets paid for. We sell hay, it gets paid for then and there, unless it is an established account.
We have a couple of friends that we would do anything for, and they would do it in return. There is no accounting or keeping track of who has done what. But after the first time we do for someone else and get no thanks or acknowledgement, or payback, or offer to help do something we need done, that is it. Our equipment doesn't run for nothing, our fuel isn't given to us, our time isn't free.
Had some friends like you, grit. Used our bull a couple of times. Paid for it once. Had a few heifers we liked. Said they would tell us when they were ready to sell any. Found out they were going to the sale barn. We were lucky, happened to be there and saw them unloaded. Saw the couple we liked. Had a friend buy them and got them cheaper than we had offered for them before they were weaned and left their farm. Then listened to the guy B%#$H and complain that he didn't get enough for them. TOUGH. Never let him use a bull again, not for free nor for payment.
We all get more for some cattle and less for some that we think they are worth. You take it as it comes. But treating your neighbors fairly, you hope/expect you will get treated fairly back. If you don't, LEARN FROM IT and stop it in it's tracks. Fair does not mean taking advantage, it just means being FAIR TO YOURSELF, as well as to another.
5 x

No Rest Farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby No Rest Farm » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 pm

I sold a few calves yesterday. Most of my fall calves get weaned here at my house but I sent the worst to the sale. Three steers weighed an average of 355lb brought 1.75. A heifer that weighed 535 brought 1.44.
1 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:51 pm

No Rest Farm wrote:I sold a few calves yesterday. Most of my fall calves get weaned here at my house but I sent the worst to the sale. Three steers weighed an average of 355lb brought 1.75. A heifer that weighed 535 brought 1.44.

Where do you sell, I wouldn't have minded to have those 3 steers.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

No Rest Farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby No Rest Farm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 am

Those went to springlake. I kept the calves I thought I could put some more weight on easily. The few I sold seemed to not have the frame I'm looking for. I've been caught before feeding calves that were to small framed. Any more I sell those type early. All of the three weights were off cows I had bought as bred cows last summer and who knows what bull was used on them.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 pm

No Rest Farm wrote:Those went to springlake. I kept the calves I thought I could put some more weight on easily. The few I sold seemed to not have the frame I'm looking for. I've been caught before feeding calves that were to small framed. Any more I sell those type early. All of the three weights were off cows I had bought as bred cows last summer and who knows what bull was used on them.

Those still made money I bet..
0 x

No Rest Farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby No Rest Farm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:46 am

I'm sure someone will make money on them. I just know I'm not in a good position to keep calves like these.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 am

My comment was meant to be that if you bought cows last summer the calves should have made a good payback on the cows.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 am

No Rest Farm wrote:I'm sure someone will make money on them. I just know I'm not in a good position to keep calves like these.

You should have sent them to me id only charged you 45% of the sale price for fattening them up for you... Ya know since were buds maybe we can discuss this over some stouts :cowboy:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

No Rest Farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby No Rest Farm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Kenny is probably closer lol
0 x

No Rest Farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby No Rest Farm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Yes Kenny, I think they covered about 80% of the cow cost. I'm pretty pleased with that
0 x

cattle60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cattle60 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Sold 7 calves yesterday. 5 blk/bwf steers weaned since Thanksgiving, 2 round shots 697 lb average, brought $1.50 lb, $1045.00 hd. 2 Heifers RWF/BWF, RWF weaned 45 days, BWF 120 days,2 rds,465 average, $1.64 lb, $762.60 hd. Thought was good, I'm happy so I guess that's what matters.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:51 pm

I sold some Monday but don't know what they did check may be there when I get home.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Got about 15 heifers from 400 to 550 or so going tomorrow. 4 or 5 cull cows. Only had 2 open heifers out of 25 and vet said the one didn't feel right; asked if she was a twin. She wasn't that we were aware of, so she is going. Buyer friend said cull cows were up a bit so this would be a good time to sell them. Got about 5 or 6 more that have smaller fall calves, mostly steers, that will be going within a month or so. They are looking fair to decent for their age. One I paid $650 for with a 175 lb calf on her. She looks good and the calf has done good so they ought to make a few dollars. Will let ya'll know what they do tomorrow.
Plan to sell the steers from this group of first calf heifers in about 2-3 weeks. Only had 6 or 8 steers in the group of 20 first calf heifers, the rest heifer calves. We are only retaining 2 heifers from this bunch. Have a couple of other heifers we held back and they will match these pretty good. We have some real nice heifers from another group of cows so there is no reason to keep the "okay ones".
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 pm

my bulls sold as follows 5wts 1.54 6wts 1.29 7wts 1.18
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”