Sale Barn Prices

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:26 pm

farmerjan wrote:Got about 15 heifers from 400 to 550 or so going tomorrow. 4 or 5 cull cows. Only had 2 open heifers out of 25 and vet said the one didn't feel right; asked if she was a twin. She wasn't that we were aware of, so she is going. Buyer friend said cull cows were up a bit so this would be a good time to sell them. Got about 5 or 6 more that have smaller fall calves, mostly steers, that will be going within a month or so. They are looking fair to decent for their age. One I paid $650 for with a 175 lb calf on her. She looks good and the calf has done good so they ought to make a few dollars. Will let ya'll know what they do tomorrow.
Plan to sell the steers from this group of first calf heifers in about 2-3 weeks. Only had 6 or 8 steers in the group of 20 first calf heifers, the rest heifer calves. We are only retaining 2 heifers from this bunch. Have a couple of other heifers we held back and they will match these pretty good. We have some real nice heifers from another group of cows so there is no reason to keep the "okay ones".

hope u do well
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:41 pm

Thanks Sky. Did you get your check? Did the bulls do good?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:51 pm

farmerjan wrote:Thanks Sky. Did you get your check? Did the bulls do good?

You are welcome yea check came and my bulls sold as follows 5wts 1.54 6wts 1.29 7wts 1.18
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:05 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

You are welcome yea check came and my bulls sold as follows 5wts 1.54 6wts 1.29 7wts 1.18

The 5 wts did good, it didn't hardly pay to feed the others to a heavier weight. Don't know what wt you started with. Did you do okay on the bottom line? That's the most important. We have found that it doesn't pay to get them over 600 lbs here. We try to get them to the 450 to 550 range for the better prices. Might just be what the buyers like from this area.

I did a graph one year to prove to a neighbor that even though he got more actual dollars per head, for the heavier weight calves he was selling, we got more actual total money for lighter weight calves, by being able to run a few more cows so more total calves. Plus our cows are smaller, he has a number of 1600 and up cows. They eat too much for the amount of weight you get in return. He argued that he got more money and couldn't seem to get it that we were selling more calves, had more cows, and the lighter weight cows had less foot and leg problems than his did.

Just something we learned the hard way over the years.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:58 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

Up to 500 lbs the difference between bulls and steers isn't enough to worry about. After that the seller gets slaughtered also.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:16 am

Talking heads think the feeder market is at a top...
Kill cows have come up, but still seem cheap. Is supply high?
0 x
Stocker Steve

LDEnterprises
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LDEnterprises » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:37 am

Some boys and girls got "Spring Fever" here this past Tuesday. My light calves (high 5 weights) I'm selling this week will do better than my 6 and 7 weights I sell this week I bet.

0 x

LDEnterprises
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LDEnterprises » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Talking heads think the feeder market is at a top...

I'm hearing we have about a month maybe before we turn back more bearish through the rest of 2018. But as we have seen plenty the past 5 years we really don't know chit!!!! :lol:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:12 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Up to 500 lbs the difference between bulls and steers isn't enough to worry about. After that the seller gets slaughtered also.

I agree but I know one thing there definitely more valuable after being sold than walking around in my pasture no matter what size. I didn't sell many calves last year as prices were really bad and I had unlimited resources with minimal input to carry them did I make more money probably not but liked seeing them sell for more than they would have last year. I use to faithfully band but as you said within certain weights no real difference which is normally when I sold.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:28 am

Anything over 350 here and you see a difference in the prices between bulls and steers. But then there is an odd bunch of bulls that will bring about what the steers do.
Shipped 17 heifers this morning. 6 in the 450 range, 2 over 500 ea, the rest in the 375 to 400 I think. Will take some cull cows in later. I think we are seeing the higher end of the prices also. Owner of the sale barn says he thinks steers will still be okay for a bit. I am pushing to send those old cull cows we have, that have the calves on them. Some are decent, a few are not much. I just want them gone. Told my son that and he is leaning more my way. Told him we need some cash in hand not out there eating. And he says that they are getting a fair amount of feed so maybe they ought to go.

It is drizzling, misty rain, colder and damp and raw. We got lucky yesterday moving cattle around with no rain although it had been forecast for showers. Suppose to stay warmer temps this week then the forecast is to drop to the 30's and 40's. I kept saying it was too warm for Feb. Saw some daffodils starting to push up through the grass along the fence at one pasture. All the warmth and some rain....They will get hurt if it drops too much.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 am

LDEnterprises wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Talking heads think the feeder market is at a top...

I'm hearing we have about a month maybe before we turn back more bearish through the rest of 2018. But as we have seen plenty the past 5 years we really don't know chit!!!! :lol:

Just as with your weatherman.....you need to know his margin of error. :lol2:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:37 am

farmerjan wrote:Anything over 350 here and you see a difference in the prices between bulls and steers. But then there is an odd bunch of bulls that will bring about what the steers do.
Shipped 17 heifers this morning. 6 in the 450 range, 2 over 500 ea, the rest in the 375 to 400 I think. Will take some cull cows in later. I think we are seeing the higher end of the prices also. Owner of the sale barn says he thinks steers will still be okay for a bit. I am pushing to send those old cull cows we have, that have the calves on them. Some are decent, a few are not much. I just want them gone. Told my son that and he is leaning more my way. Told him we need some cash in hand not out there eating. And he says that they are getting a fair amount of feed so maybe they ought to go.

It is drizzling, misty rain, colder and damp and raw. We got lucky yesterday moving cattle around with no rain although it had been forecast for showers. Suppose to stay warmer temps this week then the forecast is to drop to the 30's and 40's. I kept saying it was too warm for Feb. Saw some daffodils starting to push up through the grass along the fence at one pasture. All the warmth and some rain....They will get hurt if it drops too much.

In some instances at Lynchburg bulls have been higher than steers in certain weights its pretty crazy.
0 x

No Rest Farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby No Rest Farm » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:14 pm

I'm going to sell a few more tomorrow if I can catch them.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:18 pm

No Rest Farm wrote:I'm going to sell a few more tomorrow if I can catch them.

I was going to come but I gotta get a load of steel in the morning probably. If I decide not to I will meet you there if you buy me some hogs :lol:
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:41 pm

I had to test a 250+ cow herd this afternoon but my son took 5 cull cows back to Staunton. The heifers brought from 1.20 to 1.48, 4 cull cows brought in the .50's. The longhorn brought .39 or .40 I think he said. Will see the check tomorrow. He said that lightweight steers, 250 to 350 were up, some hit over 2.00. Slaughter bulls were down a bit, barely . 70. The longhorn had a dead calf, put a bottle calf on her and she was fine for 2 days. Then decided she didn't want it and started knocking it into the wall and wouldn't let it nurse unless I was standing there while she was eating. I said that's it. The calf has lost weight in a week so it is back on a bottle and now I am treating it for some scours and a cough. She wrote her ticket out. I don't need to deal with it.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”