baby calves

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

baby calves

Postby rollinhills » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 pm

I got two baby beef calves we are bottle feeding, had a guy ask me to sell them to him but I really don't have a clue what to ask for them. any idea?
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Re: baby calves

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:49 pm

No age, no breed, no info... 50 bux.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:19 am

I just sold a nice black/white face heifer calf for $109 that was bout 10 days old. The mama was three tited and all the little dumb be nice would sux was the dead tit. I got tired of bottle feeding him every day. I had a bag of first milk, 2cc's of draxon in him, 7-way shot with pinkeye, ear tag, bought a small bag of powder milk medicated for $40 at TSC to save him, hauling to the market. Everybody made money but me, I did save him though (probably came out ahead if he had died.) Take the sell bill out and if they are nice $100 each. If not real nice $50-$75 range. There is not as much money in 4-legged stocks as paper stocks.
Last edited by jltrent on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:31 am

They are angus sired crossbred, two and three weeks old. One is a twin momma only taking care of one got her on a bottle, other cow is old not giving much milk gonna pull him off and ship the old cow. Fixing to move to a new house we just built don’t have a good place to take care of them yet. They are pretty nice calves.
0 x

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:31 pm

Crossbred with what?
0 x
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Ghandi

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:06 pm

rollinhills wrote:I got two baby beef calves we are bottle feeding, had a guy ask me to sell them to him but I really don't have a clue what to ask for them. any idea?

I buy my calves 35.00 each
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:26 pm

A decent beef calf with clear looking eyes and zip bring a $100+ here.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Angus x dairy calves here are bringing anywhere from $75 to $200.00. Most in the 100 to 150 range. That's couple days old. For calves that are started good on bottles like yours, 150 would be minimum. Sure, they aren't worth alot in the 3-400 lb range it seems.......

Of course, the OP was back in Dec so I am sure they are sold....

I am paying 25 for straight jersey bull calves, up to 100 for jerseyxhol heifer calves and 125 for a couple of jersey x sim heifer calves. These are right off the farm and have had colostrum and are some of the healthiest calves I have ever bought. This farmer just seems to do it right and his calves are super spunky and healthy. They dive right on to the bottle, or on the nurse cows and a couple taught themselves how to drink out of a bucket in 2 days. He sold a black simxhol bull calf and got 225 for it at the stockyard. I suspect someone needed a calf to go on a beef cow that lost hers. He offers me first refusal, and I told him point blank that unless I really needed a calf, I really don't want to pay over 100 for a calf. He said he fully understands, and I told him to take them to the sale and get all he can. But I am getting most all the jersey x heifers as I will make them into nurse cows in the future.
1 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 am

Back in August I got $320 each for the three I had at the livestock auction. 2 heifers and a bull. 19 - 29 days old.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”