Rainfall and Cattle Prices

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Rainfall and Cattle Prices

Postby Bullitt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pm

I was reading a market report from a livestock auction in Northern California. The report said recent rains had increased demand and drove up sales prices. They have had a dry spell for a while and I guess got rain recently.

As an example, the prices for 600 to 650-pound steers was $135 to $171 per hundred weight. So a 650-pound steer that sold for $150 per hundred weight brought $975.

When the ground is watered and green grass is growing, people want to put cattle on their pasture.

It seems to be a good idea to pay attention to rainfall and grass growth to get the best price on cattle.

I am sure some of you are thinking, of course. :)
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Re: Rainfall and Cattle Prices

Postby angus9259 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:32 am

Not to start this conversation again, but that's one of the reasons I fall calve. People are hunting for calves for their pens when the grass starts growing and I always get a hefty premium.
1 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Re: Rainfall and Cattle Prices

Postby HDRider » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:58 am

angus9259 wrote:Not to start this conversation again, but that's one of the reasons I fall calve. People are hunting for calves for their pens when the grass starts growing and I always get a hefty premium.

I don't think anyone could dispute that. The rub might be the difficulty in having late fall calves and overwintering them and their mamma.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Return to “Cattle Sales”